Author Topic: Question: Why aren't we helping... Mexico?  (Read 7920 times)

Antibubba

• friend
Re: Question: Why aren't we helping... Mexico?
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 09:06:08 PM »
We can't help Mexico because we don't know who to help.  The ruling class is corrupt, the cops are all on the take, and the military is rife with gang infiltrators.  It's not so different than Iraq or Afghanistan.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 09:29:28 PM »
You guys are always so depressingly logical.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 10:17:10 PM »

We don't need to help Mexico, and we should not.  We should withdraw all of our personnel, warn any Americans dumb enough to enter an active war zone that they are on their own, and set up the necessary forces on the border to keep the mess on the proper side.

On the home front, we could handle our involvement with two simple tasks.  Legalize drugs and heavily audit the money flowing into Mexico from the US.  Investigate who is sending what to whom, along with the legality of the sending party.  I'm all for banking secrecy inside the US.  I'd prefer international banking secrecy as well, but it is a Constitutionally permissible activity to audit money, persons, items, etc traveling into or out of the US.

Get this straight.  There is no "good guy" in this war.  Every single aspect of Mexico is corrupt.  From the lowest police recruit through el Presidente himself.  All of the cartels are ipso facto criminal enterprises.  The people of Mexico seem to have no inclination of resolving the problem.  If the people revolted against their government and the cartels, I'd argue for airdropping metric tons of weapons to them.  But they are not.  My counterinsurgency instructor beat one phrase into my skull.  "If the people do not rise up and take freedom for themselves, they neither deserve it nor will they keep it."  You can't hand people freedom.  They need to take it.  You can help someone in that process, but you should never do the job for them.  It will not work. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 12:29:22 AM »
[sigh]

Never mind.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100911/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_drug_war_mexico

"I think the main thing we have in common with Colombia is that both of our countries suffer from U.S. drug consumption," Calderon said. "We are both victims of the enormous American consumption of drugs, and now the sales of weapons."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 12:38:20 AM »
So explain this to me, President Calderon:

How are your people 'victims' of US consumption of the drugs they produce, any more than, say, Italy is a victim of US consumption of pasta?

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2010, 04:44:20 AM »
i propose we make use of manifest destiny once more, and conquer Mexico proper. adding 32 stars to the flag wont be any harder than adding 1. all that would change for the average Mexican is less crime, lower taxes, and the rights afforded in the Constitution. :angel:

am i serious? only God knows. =|