Author Topic: Turkeys on Airplanes  (Read 7940 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Turkeys on Airplanes
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2016, 08:40:07 PM »
I want to borrow a velociraptor from Jurassic Park as my comfort animal. >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2016, 08:41:50 PM »
Fine. I'm getting Raleigh a service harness. Comfort cat.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 09:06:09 PM »
He's crepuscular, get him boys!

Babou!  Serpentine!
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 09:17:25 PM »
This thread got me googling a little.  Interestingly The ADA has changed their definition of "Service Animal" to mean dog.

The air Carrier Access act has not.  I wonder if folks legislatures are fed up with this crap as well.  These folks could be the service animal community's version of Open Carry Texas.

http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 09:26:24 PM »
This thread got me googling a little.  Interestingly The ADA has changed their definition of "Service Animal" to mean dog.

The air Carrier Access act has not.  I wonder if folks legislatures are fed up with this crap as well.  These folks could be the service animal community's version of Open Carry Texas.

http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Yep. Bunch of dipshits that give folks who need them a bad name.

and don't get me started on "emotional support animals"

Otherwise known as "service animals that DONT ACTUALLY PERFORM ANY TASKS, BUT THEY MAKE MUH FEELS FEEL GOOD SO I NEEDS THEM"

There are some very specific tasks that Willie will have to do for me (I think the requirement is three disability-specific tasks) before he can be called a service dog, in addition to the standard public access test. Any dog who can do it is quite well behaved (which is why willie has a long way to go. The rambunctious dipshit. LOL)

I love my dog, but man he's a fuckface. I frequently say "He's a real fuckface. But he's MY fuckface and I love him"
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2016, 09:45:10 PM »

Otherwise known as "service animals that DONT ACTUALLY PERFORM ANY TASKS, BUT THEY MAKE MUH FEELS FEEL GOOD SO I NEEDS THEM"

We say these people have an unhealthy emotional attachment to an animal that they will more than likely outlive and who will be even worse off when they pass.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2016, 10:11:09 PM »
We say these people have an unhealthy emotional attachment to an animal that they will more than likely outlive and who will be even worse off when they pass.

Yeah, but the weird part is that many of people who are disturbingly attached to their pet aren't actually emotionally attached to THE animal. Oh, sure they can give you chapter and verse on it's pooping habits and rush to the vet at any sign of anything, but they rarely have any sort of grip on the animals actual personality and what little personality they ascribe to the pet is usually not the animal's personality but their own.
Mind you, the pets in question are usually barely one step above a rock in terms of intelligence, but I have reached the conclusion that it is due to being raised by someone who didn't ever allow them to develop beyond mindless puppy stage.
They don't want a pet dog or cat. They are just attached to their mobile stuffed animal and they seem to be able to replace it fairly easily.

I've had dogs that are really, honestly, dumb. I've met even more. I mean, for christ sake, I had a flipping beagle. It really doesn't get much dumber.  ;) But these dumb dogs with good owners, who actually put some effort into getting the animals to think ultimately have smarter dogs than dogs that are actually are capable of being intelligent, but had the misfortune of ending up with dumb owners.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2016, 10:16:43 PM »

Oh, there is a solution to that problem...>:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2016, 11:30:46 PM »
Did you know that a sick person who vomits is not allowed to fly for two hours after vomiting?

Does that mean if a passenger vomits at 30,000 feet you're allowed to jettison the aforementioned passenger?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2016, 02:32:29 AM »
keep in mind that a great number of "service dogs" aren't actually service dogs. since the ACA says that nobody can ask for proof, people just strap a vest on so that they can take FiFi to the restaurant/store with them

Around here, they don't even bother with the vest...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2016, 06:39:16 AM »
Does that mean if a passenger vomits at 30,000 feet you're allowed to jettison the aforementioned passenger?

Yes, but the door is difficult to open.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2016, 09:38:42 AM »
Are service animals subject to TSA search? 
I mean, with the short retention time of dogs, they could be used to smuggle all sorts of contraband and travel size shampoo and dead muskrats.
Seems like a safety risk.

Harnesses through the metal detector. The commotion!
And the little doggy boots. Do they need to take them off before boarding?

My gods, if the snackbars get ahold of this we're all doomed!!
7-11 was a part time job.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2016, 09:56:56 AM »
Yes, but the door is difficult to open.
You mean you don't have a trap door just outside the cockpit?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2016, 10:13:17 AM »
There are some very specific tasks that Willie will have to do for me (I think the requirement is three disability-specific tasks) before he can be called a service dog,

Can humping other people's legs be one of the tasks, if watching my comfort ocelot get jiggy with unwilling participants is effective in improving my mood?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2016, 10:19:30 AM »
You mean you don't have a trap door just outside the cockpit?

Sadly, no.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2016, 12:29:15 PM »
If I have to fly, I take my service skunk.....I hate crowded airplanes.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2016, 01:22:27 PM »
I love my dog, but man he's a fuckface. I frequently say "He's a real fuckface. But he's MY fuckface and I love him"

BTDT.  Oddly, it works.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2016, 01:29:26 PM »
BTDT.  Oddly, it works.

Yep. I just wish he did better on car rides. And not going apeshit all the time

He goes into full retard excited dog mode with very little provocation
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2016, 03:08:50 PM »
Yep. I just wish he did better on car rides. And not going apeshit all the time

He goes into full retard excited dog mode with very little provocation

Maybe he needs to get laid...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2016, 03:15:53 PM »

There are some very specific tasks that Willie will have to do for me (I think the requirement is three disability-specific tasks) before he can be called a service dog, in addition to the standard public access test. Any dog who can do it is quite well behaved (which is why willie has a long way to go. The rambunctious dipshit. LOL)

Couple of questions:

- Who says Willie needs to perform three disability-specific tasks?

- Who sets the standard for "public access" (and what are they)?

Was at the VA today and saw an emotional support dog in action at the Starfu*ks kiosk.  Young lady who has a history of going medieval at the lightest instance of not getting what she wants the way she wants it when she wants it  (either a drill sergeant or PTSD from 4 deployments - pick door #2) being shoulder-pushed and nose-bumped away from the counter after being told they have to brew some more decaf.  Was either a yellow lab or golden retriever - I still sometimes get them confused.

So would that be 2 specific tasks?  Recognizing building stress before it erupts, and action to remove her from what is causing the stress?

Also know someone with severe agoraphobia who wheels her Pekinese in a doggy-stroller and seems able to cope being out & about.  Not sure how many tasks the dog is performing besides just being there.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2016, 03:19:15 PM »
Maybe he needs to get laid...

http://www.neuticles.com/

Good for anybody that spends time in the doghouse. =D

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2016, 03:46:33 PM »
Couple of questions:

- Who says Willie needs to perform three disability-specific tasks?

- Who sets the standard for "public access" (and what are they)?

Was at the VA today and saw an emotional support dog in action at the Starfu*ks kiosk.  Young lady who has a history of going medieval at the lightest instance of not getting what she wants the way she wants it when she wants it  (either a drill sergeant or PTSD from 4 deployments - pick door #2) being shoulder-pushed and nose-bumped away from the counter after being told they have to brew some more decaf.  Was either a yellow lab or golden retriever - I still sometimes get them confused.

So would that be 2 specific tasks?  Recognizing building stress before it erupts, and action to remove her from what is causing the stress?

Also know someone with severe agoraphobia who wheels her Pekinese in a doggy-stroller and seems able to cope being out & about.  Not sure how many tasks the dog is performing besides just being there.

stay safe.

Emotional support dog and service dog are two separate things. There aren't any standards of training for ESAs, and they don't have to do anything

The public access test Is pretty standard but I'm not aware of who came up with it. In practice, it's a step up from canine good citizen

And yeah, recognizing and intervening (self harm for certain disorders, for example, or your example) would count.

For Willie, covering is one . On command, or when he senses agitation, he forms a barrier by standing in front of me sideways , keeping people away
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2016, 04:40:22 PM »
Skid, I also have experience with a service dog that was provided for more of "emotional" support, and by that I mean a dog that was provided for dealing with mental health issues.

Banjo was well trained, obedient and certified at the state level. Her owner did not take her out and about, but could have (the real bulk of Banjo's duties were at home anyway)

These emotional support animals are untrained and my real beef with them is that they are a public nuisance precisely because they are untrained. They lack basic leash skills, recall and basic obedience skills, making them a danger to themselves, their owner and the public at large ( example: dog gets lose, runs in traffic, unstable owner flips out and chases dog into traffic, car hits dog/owner, driver injured)

Service dogs are trained. They have recall. They will not leave their owners side without specific command. They are trustworthy under almost all circumstances, which is why they are allowed to go everywhere with their owner. Not only do they provide the owner with an invaluable service, but they also can be trusted in public.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2016, 05:03:51 PM »
Was either a yellow lab or golden retriever - I still sometimes get them confused.

Did it look like a giant dust mop or a four legged idiot?  (Still slightly brighter than an Irish setter - which is sort of like saying a bit more pleasant than being Roseanne Barr's gynecologist.)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2016, 04:03:38 PM »
Ah, yes.  One of my most entertaining topics to cover during classroom training of new drivers.  Saved for the third or fourth day, after they've gotten themselves some time invested and are less likely to not show up the next day.  First mention of the "seeing eye snake" gets their attention focused for the rest of the topic.  You can see their eyes glaze over as they imagine someone boarding the bus with a miniature horse assistance animal.  Another topic of amusement is the Segway as mobility device.  Allowed?  Not allowed? Does it have to be secured, and if so, how do you do it?

New class starts this Monday.  I've saved the turkey article from the Fox News page.  I'm strongly considering running it up on the projector screen.   :rofl:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.