Author Topic: There is no such thing as a mini-pig  (Read 484 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
There is no such thing as a mini-pig
« on: January 19, 2019, 03:03:21 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/mini-pigs-growing-to-be-a-big-problem

I admit I have not made a study of the subject, but I was surprised to find out that the mini/micro pig videos that I see on Facebook are a lie.  There is apparently no such thing as a mini pig.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: There is no such thing as a mini-pig
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 03:15:37 PM »
I've known about this for awhile.

I wanted one, so I looked into it. The so called Mini Pigs are just starved pot belly pigs. One "breeders" page that I looked at actually included the dietary restrictions in their contract so you couldn't return the pig if you actually fed it.

It's actually a really horrible situation. Pigs can be really fun animals and I've been around house pigs (pot bellies) that were really awesome, but it's not something everyone can do and it's not like having a dog.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 07:22:15 PM »
Pigs are pretty dang smart.
A little over than 20 years ago one of my mother in laws Hampshire sows had a litter in very cold weather and one of the day old piglets ended up with a nasty cut on one hip.
MIL figured it was a goner and left with the sow and litter would have been.
I had a "what the hell" moment and took it home to try to save it. Bottle feeding, antibiotic creams and a little TLC and she pulled through.
We kept her in the house till it was warm enough and she was big enough to move out to a pen. Surprisingly easy to house break and would go out with the dog into the back yard. She liked to lay on one of the floor vents when the furnace was running and her ears would flap in the breeze. She could be on the far end of the house and if the refrigerator door was opened she'd come squealing down the hallway with her little piggy hooves clattering on the linoleum and demand something to eat.
Raised 6 litters of pigs out of her over several years.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 10:25:22 PM »
My neighbor down the hill had a pig for a pet.  I haven't seen the pig is a fair amount of time.  I do think I smelled bacon a lot when I was down by the fence fiddling around trying to get rid of some bamboo.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 08:53:51 AM »
After celebrities like Ariana Grande and Miley Cyrus got pet pigs within the past few years, animal shelters across the country are now facing an influx of fully-grown pigs from owners who claimed they were duped.
I think there might be a solution to this problem that might help with other costs. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 09:25:12 AM »
“Data collected by the American Mini Pig Association defines mini pigs as 15-20 inches tall and 60-150 pounds at a healthy body condition,” wrote the association’s vice president Kimberly Gilbert-Chronister in an emailed statement. She acknowledged terms like “teacup,” “micro” or “nano” are indeed deceptive marketing tactics.
So it is kind of like the old Mini-Computer.  Mini compared to the one that is 400 lbs. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge