Author Topic: Texas Home Invasion Gone . . . Good?  (Read 2289 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: Texas Home Invasion Gone . . . Good?
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2019, 09:16:59 AM »
You can get a 60" 4k LCD screen for under $500 these days, and they're so huge that they're hard to move.  I doubt they're the targets of theft they once were.

It's getting to the point that a nice stand probably costs more for them.

Seriously, I am moving right now and looking for a wall mount for my 50 inch plasma, which is probably 150lb. Wall mounts that can handle plasma screens are not as common as they used to be. For wall-mounting, it's almost worth buying a new LCD to save money on the mount.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2019, 11:26:14 AM »
I am holding out for a 70 or 75", but gotta cover a few others costs first.  My current LED TV is very very light. 

I remember the 32" tube TV I once had.  It nearly causes a hernia just thinking about it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2019, 03:29:00 PM »
You can get a 60" 4k LCD screen for under $500 these days, and they're so huge that they're hard to move.  I doubt they're the targets of theft they once were.

It's getting to the point that a nice stand probably costs more for them.

It is a bit of a white elephant. On the other hand, I've never watched The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly on anything larger than a 27" screen, so it might not be so bad to have around.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2019, 10:06:52 PM »
I am holding out for a 70 or 75", but gotta cover a few others costs first.  My current LED TV is very very light. 

I remember the 32" tube TV I once had.  It nearly causes a hernia just thinking about it. 
About a year ago my 36" tube TV began malfunctioning - it was about 16 or 17 years old - and weighed 172 lbs! I replaced it with a 65" 4k Sony with a better picture, more features, and about 1/3 the weight.

Oh, and note the traditional APS thread drift!  :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2019, 06:20:42 AM »
Seriously, I am moving right now and looking for a wall mount for my 50 inch plasma, which is probably 150lb. Wall mounts that can handle plasma screens are not as common as they used to be. For wall-mounting, it's almost worth buying a new LCD to save money on the mount.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_33900/TV-Wall-Mounts.html#&nvpair=FFMaximum_TV_Weight|[rank4]150%20lbs.%20or%20more
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2019, 07:19:32 AM »

Someone just gave us a 60" plasma, and a co-worker told me to keep the blinds shut. I don't know if that's true. On the other hand, whatever distracts them from the guns.

Keep the blinds shut when you're watching it mainly because plasmas can get washed out in a bright room pretty easily. When 1080p was as high as resolutions got, I always preferred the picture on a plasma over an led/lcd TV. You just had to make sure the room was dark enough to get the best picture out of them. Getting rid of the box is never a big deal, just go out after dark and put it with your neighbors'garbage...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2019, 12:36:07 PM »
I have never wall mounted my LCD TV's.  I guess that would be a good option, I just never need.  I think I would want a model with a swing arm that would allow me to angle it off the wall a bit to avoid reflections.  We have a couple of those at work that I might look at with my next purchase. 

As far as is it worth it?  Some mounts can get pretty expensive, but they are usually less than the cost of a new TV.  Maybe make sure the mount can handle a newer LCD TV as well as your plasma in case you make a change in the future.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge