Author Topic: Bye, bye Stratolaunch  (Read 470 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Bye, bye Stratolaunch
« on: January 20, 2019, 10:06:34 AM »
https://spacenews.com/stratolaunch-abandons-launch-vehicle-program/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/19/18189377/stratolaunch-scaling-back-operations-medium-launch-vehicle-rocket-layoffs-paul-allen-death

So it looks as though with the death of Paul Allen, the plug is being pulled on Stratolaunch.  The goal now is to see if the plane flies, and I am reminded of Howard Hughes and the Spruce Goose. I wonder if it will ever be used as a launch vehicle for anything, or is it going to sit in a hangar somewhere.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Bye, bye Stratolaunch
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 12:52:16 PM »
What a shame.  Interesting program, might have been economically viable 20 years before SpaceX's landing of boosters.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 01:03:36 PM »
Launching into orbit from a big airplane. A concept based - loosely - on some early ideas for the Space Shuttle.

NASA of course went another way, but I always thought this idea was interesting.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 02:29:24 AM »
The mass fraction/payload from air launch and SSTO concepts is inferior compared to traditional staged rockets.

Getting your rocket up to .8 Mach and 50,000 feet seems like a "head start", and in theory it is, you're starting out close to where a traditional booster has just fought its way to max-q, and it can use an engine bell that's optimized for high-altitude and vacuum.

However, actual payload savings from air launch are around 5%. Not that much. You lose significant energy and altitude in the drop, and any wings or shuttle-esque lifting body shapes to convert the forward flight to vertical from that drop is dead weight once it's thrusting upward for orbit. Like within 15 seconds.

To compete with the payload a Falcon 9 can throw to LEO, much less a Falcon Heavy, or the BFR/Starship, you're now talking a carrier plane the size of a SHIELD hellicarrier from the Marvel Avenger movies.

Stratolaunch dropping a Pegasus II would put 13,500 lbs. to LEO. Falcon 9 puts up to 50,000 lbs. to LEO. F9 heavy, 141,000 lbs.

And the "operates like an airline" savings and flexibility is generally overstated. The Stratolaunch when loaded needs a 12,000 foot runway for takeoff. (Not even counting runway elevation) So it's not as if it would operate from just any runway, so it would be limited to the various Shuttle runways and emergency alternates. And there the issue of which ones would even allow it in the first place.

Further, the "airline savings" are further curtailed by the large custom carrier aircraft. Divorcing yourself from the common commercial airline and freight logistics train and maintenance procedures.

So that theoretical 5% increase in efficiency air-launch gets you, it's an awful lot of rigamarole to get it, it's easy to lose it in other unforseen costs.

The one advantage of air launch is that you can hit most any launch window, and any orbital inclination. Although SpaceX doesn't seem to have any big difficulty with it from fixed launch sites.

I promise not to duck.