Author Topic: Clothes shopping, fitting rooms, and pistol concealment  (Read 438 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Clothes shopping, fitting rooms, and pistol concealment
« on: January 21, 2019, 08:48:34 AM »
What is your preferred technique for checking fit on new clothing, in context of carrying?

Just buy and then return after trying on at home if it doesn't fit?
Carry loaded into the fitting rooms and try the item on?
Deliberately unload, but still carry, for the shopping session and have a cleared weapon in the fitting rooms for safety's sake?
Something else?

I carry like normal and leave pistol in the holster, and transfer holster and belt to the new item.  Just curious if there's a better hive mind approach to this.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Clothes shopping, fitting rooms, and pistol concealment
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 09:30:58 AM »
All of my pistols have manual safeties.  The only one I actually use while carrying is if I've got my H&K USP, because I carry it C&L.

So, if not already on safe, the safety goes on before the pistol comes out of the holster.  Each of my pistols have safeties that can be manipulated while holstered.  As such, if I'm trying on clothes that require me to clear leather, the safety goes on and the pistol goes on the bench.  Try on clothes, reholster, and flip the safety off.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 09:38:31 AM »
Same for me.  I just set the pistol on the bench and try on the clothes.  I don't want to go unarmed.  I should be able to unholster and reholster without incident. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 09:52:45 AM »
What is your preferred technique for checking fit on new clothing, in context of carrying?

One of those two. I don't like messing with my firearm in the middle of the store, with no safe direction to point it, but I just try to be careful. I'm actually more worried about leaving it behind than I am about having a negligent discharge.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 11:51:35 AM »

Deliberately unload, but still carry, for the shopping session and have a cleared weapon in the fitting rooms for safety's sake?
Something else?

I carry like normal and leave pistol in the holster, and transfer holster and belt to the new item.  Just curious if there's a better hive mind approach to this.

Walmart has a particular big-tall-fat guy slacks.  I've only seen them online, and wear only that for pants.  The pockets are big enough for pocket carry, the belt line is loose enough for IWB, and they last pretty well (compared to the cotton version of the same).

Shirts, plain polos 2xlt, sight unseen from (last time around) Penny's, which is a half step better stuff than Walmart.

In other words, I pretty much have figured out what works, and get that.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 11:52:58 AM »
Carry loaded into the fitting room. Since I either pocket carry or IWB, there's no need for the gun to leave its holster.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 01:33:09 PM »
I use kydex holsters, so it's pretty safe to remove the gun and holster together, and try it on with the new pants.  Risk is minimal.

In my old job as a prosecutor, I went suit shopping once, carrying a J frame IWB.  Tailor noticed,  and once he saw my badge, he asked me to unload, and then let him tailor the suit around the gun.  He said he had a number of federal LEOs as clients, so he was used to it.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark