Author Topic: Olights?  (Read 738 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Olights?
« on: January 22, 2019, 01:57:53 PM »
Anyone have experience with the Olight brand of flashlights? I discovered it on the Austrian chick's Youtube Channel from the Brexit thread. They seem to get very good reviews and look nifty.

I have a Fenix E15 that I love and EDC, but the single con I have with it is that I need either spare batteries or a separate charger for it. I never seem to bring those things with me when I go on road trips. These Olights have the choice of micro-USB or else a magnet charger to charge the CR123 batteries. I always have USB power with me, even when hiking, as I always carry a small power brick in my ruck.

The 600 lumen Olight with Micro-USB is about 15 ducats more than what my 450 lumen Fenix cost, and looks to be the same size or maybe even smaller. The 1000 lumen with the magnet charger is around $65. I can't find anything on water resistance, which would be my one concern with the micro-USB model.

So anyone know anything about them? They appear to make weapon lights as well.

Example light:

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Flashlight-Rechargeable-charging-LegionArms/dp/B077KFKHFB/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1548182567&sr=8-15&keywords=olight
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MikeB

• friend
Re: Olights?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 02:27:36 PM »
I have that same one or a slightly older version.

It’s a good light, but the button is a little small especially for gloves and I don’t like the size and shape in my pocket personally. I also just prefer tailcap buttons. It’s a good light though and one thing I do like is the magnetic base, but sometimes that is funny in a pocket too.

I’ve actually switched back to Streamlight, they now have rechargeable for their 1xAAA and 2xAAA size lights. Like this one I’ve been using for everyday pocket carry. I use this flashlight every morning feeding and watering ducks and chickens and most mornings and evenings walking the dog. And then any random light needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-66601-Microstream-Package-Flashlight/dp/B077BHV22W/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548184952&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=streamlight+micro+rechargeable+flashlight&dpPl=1&dpID=41ELZlCxhFL&ref=plSrch

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 02:59:29 PM »
I bought a small one for my wife to carry on a trip to south america. I haven't used it since I took it out of the package and gave it to her but she uses it and likes it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 05:05:56 PM »
I've EDC'd an Olight T10 (single 123A battery) for years.  I like them.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 09:14:38 AM »
I have a 4 or 5 and like them a lot.  The only one that has seen any abuse is a small keychain light.  They seem to be bright, hold a charge well, and fairly durable for what I have used them for.  I got a larger 800 lumen light of theirs as a gift 4 or 5 years ago.  It has been in my truck since then and has worked well.  I gave some as gifts this Christmas. 

https://olightworld.com/led-flashlights/all-flashlights/olight-i3e-eos-black
I carry one of these on my key chain.  Bright for a small light and tough enough.  It has been through the washer/dryer a few times and still works very well.  Uses one AAA.  
https://olightworld.com/led-flashlights/all-flashlights/olight-i3e-copper

https://olightworld.com/led-flashlights/all-flashlights/olight-i1r-eos
I have this one, but have only carried it when out walking early.  Pretty bright for a tiny light and rechargeable.  

I don't care for the magnetic base chargers set up as a table top charger.  I can't tell if they are charging or not.  I got one before Christmas that has a small USB charger that sticks to the back and it works well.  I think I would prefer the USB plug in general.  Not all those other chargers are interchangeable so you have to be careful.  I had not noticed the one with the plug on the battery.  That is interesting.

If you sign up for Olight's web site and get emails, they do sales periodically with pretty good discounts.  So if you are looking for a larger light, that is the best time to buy.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 09:19:09 AM »
https://olightworld.com/led-flashlights/all-flashlights/olight-pl-mini
One of mine is this one.  It has the throw level on the rail so it is easy to take on and off your pistol if you don't want it all the time.  It worked well so far.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 09:32:59 AM »
I don't care for the magnetic base chargers set up as a table top charger.  I can't tell if they are charging or not.  I got one before Christmas that has a small USB charger that sticks to the back and it works well.  I think I would prefer the USB plug in general.  Not all those other chargers are interchangeable so you have to be careful.  I had not noticed the one with the plug on the battery.  That is interesting.

What are your thoughts on the USB plug? Durable? Water resistant? Do you know what the water rating on it is (i.e., can it get dunked good)?

Thanks for the tips on the discounts. I'm a flashlight junkie, so if I see a good discount, I'll probably pick one up.

The internal charging is such a good idea for "tactical" lights, I'm surprised it hasn't been a popular option for years.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »
For this one, the micro-USB plug for charging is internal after you unscrew the top so theoretically, it should be resistant to water, but I don't recall looking to see if it was.  That Amazon link with the charger on the battery itself looked like
https://olightworld.com/led-flashlights/all-flashlights/olight-i1r-eos

This one has been bounced around in the washer a few times with the AAA battery in it.  Usually, it would unscrew itself at some point.  Always  worked once I put it back together.  I imagine the water didn't do the battery any good, but AAA batteries are cheap and light.  
https://olightworld.com/led-flashlights/all-flashlights/olight-i3e-eos-black

The S1 mini baton on the amazon link:  for the waterproof question it just says "IPX8".  I don't know what that means.  Google says this:
IPX8 Testing: Defined as immersion in over 1 meter of water. The requirements are typically set by the manufacturer but normally mean: The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under specific conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer.
Looking at a few others, they all say IPX8.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:11:31 AM by MechAg94 »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 11:36:08 AM »
The S1 mini baton on the amazon link:  for the waterproof question it just says "IPX8".  I don't know what that means.  Google says this:Looking at a few others, they all say IPX8.

Thanks - I somehow missed that. I think I'll keep a lookout and when I see it at a decent discount, get the one that's the same size as my E15 and give it a go.