Author Topic: FPV drones.  (Read 496 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
FPV drones.
« on: January 23, 2019, 11:44:30 AM »
Anyone play with drones, especially FPV drones? 

I'd like to get one to play with indoors and to chase the kids with.  My daughter gave me a micro-drone for Christmas, but it is lacking in many areas.  What can I get for under $200 that is decent enough and has changeable batteries?

Since I'm in the neighborhood, do any of you have experience with the larger drones, such as DJI and their copies?

Thanks.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: FPV drones.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 11:51:12 AM »
The highest and best use of an indoor drone is to perform strike missions on the cat.  The cat loves it. Don't ask me how I know this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 11:55:01 AM »
I got one on an Amazon lightening deal to mess with a while back.  You have to use your own android/ios devise for the video, but it streams OK.

There's a pretty dang steep learning curve.  Flying indoors likely will involve collisions, more so if you are using only the FPV and don't have LOS.  Kids should wear safety glasses.

I bought this one

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 11:58:31 AM »
Anyone play with drones, especially FPV drones? 

I'd like to get one to play with indoors and to chase the kids with.  My daughter gave me a micro-drone for Christmas, but it is lacking in many areas.  What can I get for under $200 that is decent enough and has changeable batteries?

Since I'm in the neighborhood, do any of you have experience with the larger drones, such as DJI and their copies?

Thanks.

What do you know about flyin', kid? You'll put your eye out.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 02:13:06 PM »
As a professional (ret),  I can tell you it's way easier to fly an RQ-20 Puma right off the bat than the cheaper of the consumer drones. Dogmush is correct on the learning curve. Especially if you're outside with a bit of wind. That said, my toy FPV quad is an older Husban, and some of the newer <$100 drones may not be as twitchy.

As for the "pro" models, I flew a DJI Mavic (smaller than the Phantoms) a little bit and it's the bomb. They're in the $700 range, but if I were buying a prosumer model (and I might after I move) this will probably be it. I have a buddy that did the "Out as an O-5 back in as a parasitic consultant" thing and he is working with a retired O-6 friend of his on coastal and wildlife mapping projects for Uncle Sugar, and though they have several "commercial" drones, the Mavic (in fact that's the one I test drove) gets used the most for the "quick and dirty" stuff. You can even use third party software with it to put together georectified imagery and maps.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 04:03:09 PM »

What do you know about flyin', kid? You'll put your eye out.

I watched a U-toob video.  And I stayed at a Holiday Inn last week.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 04:27:37 PM »
I watched a U-toob video.  And I stayed at a Holiday Inn last week.
Why didn't you say so!  The helicopters are over there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge