Author Topic: I have made fire...I mean a wheel.  (Read 2012 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
I have made fire...I mean a wheel.
« on: September 19, 2007, 04:46:48 PM »
I finally assembled the pile of parts into a functioning singlespeed wheel. It even held up for my test ride. It was much easier than I expected. The only problem is a very minor flat spot due to the previously used rim. I used a standard 3 cross pattern. I didn't have a tension meter handy, so I used tone and luck. I'm sure my build quality makes baby Jesus cry, but it'll do for now.

Specs:
Surly "New" Hub fixed/free
used Velocity Cliffhanger rim 26"
14g DT spokes with brass nipples (nobody had enough 14/15g double butted spokes in stock).
Shimano 17t freewheel (32t chainring up front).

Once I'm sure the wheel is gonna last, I'll put a 17t track cog on the other side of the hub for a little offroad fixxie action.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: I have made fire...I mean a wheel.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 04:06:50 AM »
I know I'm just lazy, but I ordered as set of Neuvations for my 'cross bike.  Man they are sweet!  I'll let someone else, preferably in a Chinese sweatshop, do my wheelbuilding.
I'm going to hijack your thread now, too.
Ever been up around Harper's Ferry?  My understanding is its near the C&O.  How's the fishing up there, any idea?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 04:42:11 AM »
i built alot of wheels back in the day.

didja grease the threads?

I never used a tension meter,
the pluck and strum always ran true,
but then again i am Mr. F. G. Superman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxfzm9dfqBw
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 06:00:11 AM »
Ever been up around Harper's Ferry?  My understanding is its near the C&O.  How's the fishing up there, any idea?

Yes.  It's on the other side of the river from the C&O, but there's a convenient footbridge from the path to HF.  From Point of Rocks (near Leesburg) to HF and back is roughly 25 miles.  It's a perfect trail for a 'cross bike.  Once the leaves start changing, I'm going to organize a lunchtime trip from PoR to HF and back with a stop in HF for lunch.  You're welcome to join us (MORE ride).  I've only fished that area once, but it seemed decent.  Caught a few smallies and had one monster fish try to grab the smallie I just hooked as I was reeling it in.  All this happened mere feet from my feet.

Yup, I used some light grease (Englund Slick Honey) on the threads and spoke heads.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 06:32:17 AM »

Yes.  It's on the other side of the river from the C&O, but there's a convenient footbridge from the path to HF.  From Point of Rocks (near Leesburg) to HF and back is roughly 25 miles.  It's a perfect trail for a 'cross bike.  Once the leaves start changing, I'm going to organize a lunchtime trip from PoR to HF and back with a stop in HF for lunch.  You're welcome to join us (MORE ride).  I've only fished that area once, but it seemed decent.  Caught a few smallies and had one monster fish try to grab the smallie I just hooked as I was reeling it in.  All this happened mere feet from my feet.

Yup, I used some light grease (Englund Slick Honey) on the threads and spoke heads.

Chris
Let me know when you get those rides scheduled.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 07:15:14 AM »
When I worked for Schwinn in the 1980s, my mentor would have me tension my wheel builds by the pluck and strum method only. 

I still hate sew-up rims and tires.   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 07:20:02 AM »
When I worked for Schwinn in the 1980s, my mentor would have me tension my wheel builds by the pluck and strum method only. 

I still hate sew-up rims and tires.   grin

I only ride clinchers.
JD

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 05:11:16 PM »

It's wonderful, good smallie territory. The Canal makes for great bike rides too and the town is quite scenic, especially in fall color. I used to go up there a lot on day trips. The Potomac can be big water as far as fishing, so exercise caution. I was swimming the thing to get to where I wanted to fish on the center islands, the river was still pretty much spring flood. The whole plan was go upstream a few hundred meters, swim like hell and wash up about where you wanted to be downstream. Or not. I wish my plan had included tying my $200 some worth of flybox to me instead of being in a pocket.  sad
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 07:31:22 AM »
W00T! 

22 miles offroad last night and the wheel held up just fine.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 07:45:15 AM »
W00T! 

22 miles offroad last night and the wheel held up just fine.

Chris

22 miles.  On a bicycle. undecided

Some of you people are a little touched in the head.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 07:46:10 AM »
Excellent.

You're a regular GEICO caveman.  laugh
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.