Author Topic: Who did you meet today?  (Read 806 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Who did you meet today?
« on: January 23, 2008, 01:08:19 PM »
I had the honor of meeting a fellow Marine.  Retired in '68, infantry Officer, vetran of WWII, Korea and Vietnam.  86 years old.  Wife passed two years ago.  Hands deformed from years of hard work.  Neck problems from parachute jumps.  Currently employed at Quantico as a Combat leadership and LMG tactics at OCS.
You meet anyone interesting today?
 laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Who did you meet today?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 05:05:29 PM »
I met a gentleman that was one of the original members of the 10th Mountain Division. Still sharp as a tack. He was pretty adamant that the 10th Mountain Division was the most educated division ever put together. He said it was because at the time the only people who were excellent mountaineers and skiers were mostly from wealthy families, which also happened to mean education. He is just one of the many people with stories I talk to daily. Working in a VA hospital gets you close to some pretty amazing stories. One of the Docs I work with specializes in POW's. I have met a bunch of WW2 POW camp survivors. Most from Europe, a few from the take over of the Phillipines by the Japanese. Not many of those left.

bob