Author Topic: Who do you give to?  (Read 4135 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
Who do you give to?
« on: December 15, 2008, 07:05:21 PM »
Apology for the bad headline grammar, but what charity do you like to donate to?

We've done the usual (1% to Combined Federal Campaign--some of it toward gun-friendly "charities") and donated used goods--clothing and stuff--to the local church-related charities. But at this time of year I feel a desire to stop spending on my people and donate what's left in the budget to charities oriented toward people really in need. Mostly local. Salvation Army has always gotten most of this end-of-the-year giving.

Who do you like for such?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Who do you give to?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 07:10:46 PM »
Salvation Army for me. They've always impressed me in the efficient way they use the money donated to them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 07:32:56 PM »
I usually contribute some money to the Special Operations Warriors Foundation.  Per its website:

"For more than 28 years, the Special Operations Warrior Foundation has provided full college scholarship grants, not loans, along with financial aid and educational counseling to surviving children of Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps special operations personnel who were killed in an operational mission or training accident."

The special ops community has suffered an especially high rate of casualties since 9/11, and this charity seems to do a good job helping out the surviving kids.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 07:34:51 PM »
Salvation Army for me. They've always impressed me in the efficient way they use the money donated to them.

Same here, local food banks also. I also donate time and some money to a couple 2nd amendment type groups.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:40:27 PM »
My family gives to the Israeli Society for the War on Cancer. I give to the Methushelah Foundation and the Cato Institute.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 07:52:39 PM »
NRA civil defense fund, Rocky Mountain Elk foundation and National Wild Turkey Federation to name a few.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 07:57:20 PM »
Local orphans or state placement kids.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 08:28:16 PM »
I trust the Salvation Army. I trust the others less.

the Methushelah Foundation and the Cato Institute.
I don't know the Methushala Foundation, but I include CATO every year via CFC.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 08:33:55 PM »
I trust the Salvation Army. I trust the others less.
 I don't know the Methushala Foundation, but I include CATO every year via CFC.

TC

http://www.methuselahfoundation.org/

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 08:40:22 PM »
Thanks, MicroB. They research aging issues?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 08:43:41 PM »
Thanks, MicroB. They research aging issues?

TC

Essentially they give grants to medical research on a variety of issues, from cancer to Alzheimer's to more arcane stuff I don't understand, but with the ultimate goal of eliminating natural aging. It's fairly controversial, but I am of the belief that even if it doesn't work out, more research into cancer and other diseases like that is a good thing.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 10:00:52 PM »
the local chapter of the spca.

they need it this time of year, because in a few months all those cute puppys under the christmas tree are going to get big, wild and thrown out, because stupid people didn't relize that puppies grow up. i give what i can (which isn't much) but at least its something.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 10:08:25 PM »
NRA civil defense fund, Rocky Mountain Elk foundation and National Wild Turkey Federation to name a few.

I forgot about all the loot I spend at DU banquets. I joined Pheasants Forever last spring, so I'll probably be spending equal amount of coin there too.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »
I forgot about all the loot I spend at DU banquets.
Charby is George Soros.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 10:17:58 PM »
Charby is George Soros.

I wish.. the women I could fool around with his money and the cars I could drive, planes I could own.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 01:00:05 AM »
NRA and Salvation Army primarily.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 06:24:59 AM »
I wish.. the women I could fool around with his money and the cars I could drive, planes I could own. [/quote

I read that as "planets I could own."  =D :laugh:

I give to those whom I see in need.  No organizations.  A friend here, a classmate there.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Don't care

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 06:41:57 AM »
Depending on their respective fiscal positions and projects undertaken, my contributions are all over the place.

However as a rule, throughout every year, I do buy a few cases of canned and dry goods and donate those directly to local food banks.

This past year, I've given to my church ministry; various Masonic charities within the Blue Lodge, York Rite, Scottish Rite, Shrine, and the Grotto; Goodwill; as well as a destitute family in town that had not even furniture.

In any case, I try to give to reputable charities directly. The reason is given the example that there is a telecollection firm here in Indiana that takes contributions for the Indiana State Police Foundation, but the ISPF only receives something like 5% of all monies collected.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 08:14:24 AM »
Red Cross, wife's church, Toys for Tots.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 09:19:59 AM »
Kiwanis, Toys for Tots (I give $ and I help with the toy drive), NRA, and Lafayette Urban Ministries (a soup kitchen in downtown Lafayette, Indiana).
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 09:46:47 AM »
doing something different this year  using craigs list and actually seeing the folks i give to. so far no scammers. been hitting freecycle to get more things to give.  works slow so what the heck. sides what goes around comes along
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 10:45:12 AM »
My church. I was helping support my sister-in-law who's a single mom, but she couldn't hack being an adult and ran crying back to her parents.  ;/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 02:25:19 PM »
Not much.

A bit to our parish church, from time to time to an organization that offers advanced classes in math and ancient languages to home-schooled children.

Of late, we have been giving significantly of my time to people in need of legal services, which is helpful to them,but the primary reason is for my own experience and networking.  In the past, we've mostly helped our friends and co-workers in need on an informal basis when things were tight, and we've received the same kind of help from time to time.

bk425

• Now's the time
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 04:23:28 PM »
I give to to the NRA's charitable foundation:
http://www.nrafoundation.org/  specifically my local committee; East King County friends of NRA
( committee events can be found here http://www.friendsofnra.org/National.aspx?cid=0 )
And also, as I can, to the top notch Seattle cancer research organization Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://www.fhcrc.org/

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 04:28:02 PM »
I give to to the NRA's charitable foundation:
http://www.nrafoundation.org/  specifically my local committee; East King County friends of NRA
( committee events can be found here http://www.friendsofnra.org/National.aspx?cid=0 )
And also, as I can, to the top notch Seattle cancer research organization Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://www.fhcrc.org/

I used to deliver drinks to the cafe at the Cancer Research Center.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.