Author Topic: Who do you write like?  (Read 7289 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Who do you write like?
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 08:14:56 AM »
Lovecraft

I don't recall ever using the word "eldritch".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 08:33:08 AM »
I pasted in Psalm 1 from the KJV and it came back "James Fenimore Cooper".
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 09:21:30 AM »
I gave it several excerpts from Heinlein, from Stranger in a Strange Land and The moon is a Harsh Mistress.  It came up with Arthur Clark, H.G. Wells, Harry Harrison and Shakespeare.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 09:27:33 AM »
I write like ... Mario Puzo?

Who ... or what ... is Mario Puzo?

He wrote the books the Godfather movies are based off of.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 09:42:02 AM »
I plugged in several samples of my writing, from forum posts to lengthy letters, and most of the time it came back with Cory Doctorow. (I got an Agatha Christie once.  ;/ )

Who the heck is Cory Doctorow?  ???

Wikipedia starts off by stating he was born in Toronto, Canada to Trotskyist teachers, and was raised in a "Jewish activist" household. He also became involved in the nuclear disarmament movement and was a Greenpeace campaigner as a child. Now he blogs and writes science fiction.

I'm a science fiction fan, but I never heard of him until now. From the way his Wiki bio starts off, we don't have much in common . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 09:46:57 AM »
Based on my own analysis:

HankB, you write like Paris Hilton. RoadKingLarry reminds one of E.J. Dionne and lee n. field writes like early Steve LaHay. Hawkmoon is almost indistinguishable from Molly Ivins, and Tommy Gunn is Barack Obama, all the way.

:P

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 09:57:32 AM »
RoadKingLarry:

"I gave it a big sample of Louis L'Amour and it came back with Margaret Mitchell."

Not much actual information as to how it works in this test, but I figured I'd post it and save someone else the trouble:

Gone with the wind selection 1:

As he lounged up the walk, hand on holster, beady little eyes
glancing to right and left, a kaleidoscope of jumbled pictures spun
in her mind, stories Aunt Pittypat had whispered of attacks on
unprotected women, throat cuttings, houses burned over the heads of
dying women, children bayoneted because they cried, all of the
unspeakable horrors that lay bound up in the name of "Yankee."

Margaret Mitchell --got it!

Gone with the wind selection 2 (The very next paragraph):

Her first terrified impulse was to hide in the closet, crawl under
the bed, fly down the back stairs and run screaming to the swamp,
anything to escape him.  Then she heard his cautious feet on the
front steps and his stealthy tread as he entered the hall and she
knew that escape was cut off.  Too cold with fear to move, she
heard his progress from room to room downstairs, his steps growing
louder and bolder as he discovered no one.  Now he was in the
dining room and in a moment he would walk out into the kitchen.

Got it again!  (Margaret Mitchell)

Short selection from a later paragraph:

Quickly and noiselessly, she ran into the
upper hall and down the stairs, steadying herself on the banisters
with one hand and holding the pistol close to her thigh in the
folds of her skirt.

Got it again.

Gonna try to fool it with subject matter.  One sentence, a few paragraphs later, when she shoots the intruder:

Like lightning, she shoved her weapon over the banisters and into
the startled bearded face.

Got it once more.

The rest of that paragraph:

Before he could even fumble at his belt, she pulled the trigger.  The back kick of the pistol made her reel, as the roar of the explosion filled her ears and the acrid smoke stung her nostrils.

Got it again.

OK, tried to fool it with different subject matters, but I think once you get a hit on Margaret Mitchell, it sort of sticks it in a"favorite searches" queue or something, and knows where to look, so it pulls it up right away.  And I didn't realize it at first, but the character name, "Aunt Pittypat" in the very first selection might have been a dead giveaway.

So my 'speriment with putting violent stuff in it (as opposed to "girly" stuff) did not fool it.

Is Louis L'Amour really a pen name of Margaret Mitchell? :) AFAIK, she never wrote another book under her own name.

Oh well, at least it was gun-related --concealed carry for women. :) 

FWIW,

Terry, 230RN

Footnote
The "pistol" was a cap and ball single shot (similar physically to the typical dueling pistol of the time) that Charles, her husband, had left loaded with her in Atlanta.  But its sounds like it was some kind of miitary issue gun. Never been able to determine what it actually was: "She fumbled in the leather box that hung on the wall below his saber and brought out a cap.  She slipped it into place with a hand that did not shake."
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 10:32:54 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 10:04:41 AM »
Plugged in some of my stuff from here and Facebook:

Tuesday's at Chemo - William Gibson (Who ?)

He's a famous Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk author. (Kind of invented the genera with "Neuromancer") although since about 2000 or so he's writing Cyberpunk set in "today", because technology moves so fast, (pervasive internet, smartphones, NGO's, pervasive media manipulation etc...) there's no point in trying to keep up.

I think "Tuesday's at Chemo" tripped as Gibson, because he's a very descriptive and visual writer. Conveying a lot of plot and meaning through descriptions of people and scenes, so I think the adjective count or whatnot in that piece tripped whatever metric they use as being Gibson for that one.
I promise not to duck.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 10:33:48 AM »
Entered a snippet of Dickens; it came back with Mark Twain.

???

"That is, of course, Dikkens with two 'k's, the well known Dutch author."

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

HankB

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 10:39:15 AM »
Based on my own analysis:

HankB, you write like Paris Hilton. RoadKingLarry reminds one of E.J. Dionne and lee n. field writes like early Steve LaHay. Hawkmoon is almost indistinguishable from Molly Ivins, and Tommy Gunn is Barack Obama, all the way.

:P

I write like Paris Hilton? Hey, the only thing she and I have in common is that we'd both like to visit Japan and see the Great Wall.

On the other hand, my analysis of your writing suggests that Fistful is actually the pen name used by Barney Frank . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 10:41:21 AM »
I pasted in a column from my blog on concealed carry in WI, and it came back Shakespeare.  ???

"Hark, what .45 slug through yon window breaks?"  Doesn't quite work, does it?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 10:46:01 AM »
"Hark, what .45 slug through yon window breaks?"  Doesn't quite work, does it?

Was dragging on a cigarette and my guffaw made it fly across the room and bang on the wall, showering sparks all over.

Gotta go.  I hear the sirens now.  You owe me.  Not just a keyboard.  Not just a monitor.  You owe me big time.  They're coupling the hoses up to the hyd

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2010, 01:38:35 PM »
I pasted in a column from my blog on concealed carry in WI, and it came back Shakespeare.  ???

"Hark, what .45 slug through yon window breaks?"  Doesn't quite work, does it?
I dunno - did your blog include a line that said "The first thing we do is kill all the lawyers."?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »
I put in something short and it came up Jack London, something quite a bit longer got me George Orwell.

Those work for me.

bob

erictank

• friends
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 06:01:36 PM »
I plugged in several samples of my writing, from forum posts to lengthy letters, and most of the time it came back with Cory Doctorow. (I got an Agatha Christie once.  ;/ )

Wikipedia starts off by stating he was born in Toronto, Canada to Trotskyist teachers, and was raised in a "Jewish activist" household. He also became involved in the nuclear disarmament movement and was a Greenpeace campaigner as a child. Now he blogs and writes science fiction.

I'm a science fiction fan, but I never heard of him until now. From the way his Wiki bio starts off, we don't have much in common . . .

He wrote, among other things, a book called 'Little Brother'.  He opposes things like DRM and unwarranted state surveillance of average citizens, supports liberalized (less-restrictive) copyright laws, etc.  George Orwell for the 21st Century, maybe - or that's what he's shooting for, at least.  His work tends to be available for free online, with his permission, if you're into reading ebooks.  Worth a look, IMO - I read 'Little Brother' in ebook format and asked for a deadtree copy for Christmas a couple of years ago, and I've downloaded a ton of his other stuff onto my Droid as well.  APS'ers would seem to me to be good candidates to enjoy his work.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2010, 01:35:50 AM »
He's a famous Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk author. (Kind of invented the genera with "Neuromancer") although since about 2000 or so he's writing Cyberpunk set in "today", because technology moves so fast, (pervasive internet, smartphones, NGO's, pervasive media manipulation etc...) there's no point in trying to keep up.

Yeah, what's the deal with that?  I miss Ono-Sendai cyberspace decks, monofilament whips, and riding the backs of Russian virii into bad-ass corporate mainframes.  I liked Pattern Recognition and am presently into Spook Country, but for these kinds of plots I could read Neal Stephenson(Cryptonomicon!).  I want the old Gibson back.

Really, he kept specifics pretty well in check... the only real "gotcha" I can think of is the "huge" 32GB figure from Johnny Mnemonic, and even that may have been from the movie rather than the book.

Burning Chrome is a pretty good selection of short stories by Gibson.  Quite worth reading.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2010, 02:00:06 AM »
I fed it Edgar Rice Burroughs, and it said I write like Vladimir Nabokov.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2010, 04:40:35 AM »
First story snippet gave me Kurt Vonnegut.  [barf]

Second, Stephen King.  ???

Third, Dan Brown.  :mad:

I don't get it.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 05:13:52 AM »
I fed it a nibble of War and Peace
Amazingly enough it came back with Tolstoy.

A second dose of War and Peace returned Lovecraft.

A dose of Atlas Shruged also came back with Lovecraft.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:19:24 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 07:28:21 AM »
Looks like the output is a slightly biased random variable biased only by key words, and possibly things like number of syllables per word and such..

The longer the sample, the more key words it will pick up.  But I don't think it's really looking at any kind of "style" parameters --if one can really define a "style," computer-wise.

Atlas Shrugged is quite possibly not in their search data base at all.

The whole premise of it reminds me of the old "Can you draw this?" come-ons that were in packs of matches, if anyone can remember those.  A very simple drawing anyone with at least one hand and two fingers could draw.  Then: "You may have artistic talent!  Enroll now in our Artist's Course!"

Or something like that.

Final conclusion: Just a merchandising gimmick with a thin (very thin) veneer of something to stimulate your interest.

And judging by the number of responses herein, at least partially successful.  Got a lot of "walk-in" traffic, didn't it?

Also sprach Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:34:15 AM by 230RN »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 08:07:12 AM »

I got Cory Doctorow too. Google came up with this:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?