Author Topic: Who has a non-ipad tablet?  (Read 1208 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Who has a non-ipad tablet?
« on: May 02, 2011, 12:25:31 PM »
And how do you like it? Seems like more and more makers are entering the ring with a tablet entry, but I haven't heard much about any of them.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

erictank

• friends
Re: Who has a non-ipad tablet?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:16:54 PM »
And how do you like it? Seems like more and more makers are entering the ring with a tablet entry, but I haven't heard much about any of them.

Don't own one myself, but Maximum PC magazine just (June 11 issue, showed up in my mailbox today) reviewed/contrasted the Motorola Xoom against the Ipad 2 - and came to the conclusion that for even moderately-tech-savvy individuals, the Xoom might actually be a better product.  The magazine in question prides itself on being for power-users and builders, people who are willing to or even like getting into the guts of the hardware and software they use, to extract maximum performance and utility from them.

I wouldn't BUY a tablet myself, barring winning the lottery or something and having enough cash to burn, almost literally.  I'd love to play around with one, and would take either if given one - but if asked, I'd probably request the Xoom over the Ipad.  Take that for what it's worth.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:41:15 PM »

I'm leaning towards a netbook or subnotebook in the near future.  They're very handy.  Tablets, eh, they're handy if you do more watching than typing.  But I'm keeping my eyes open on them as well.  So far have not seen anything that's overly impressive.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:04:03 PM »
I'm leaning towards a netbook or subnotebook in the near future.  They're very handy.  Tablets, eh, they're handy if you do more watching than typing.  But I'm keeping my eyes open on them as well.  So far have not seen anything that's overly impressive.

I felt the same way until I spent time playing with a friend's ipad. Surprisingly handy. Of course our uses are probably not the same...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:24:18 PM »
I bought a Nook color, which is a good Barnes and Nobles e-reader by day and a mediocre tablet by night.

I am very pleased with it. Portable, good battery life, good memory size, low cost ($250) compared to primary tablets. It lacks the in depth features and apps that full tablets supply. But B&N is releasing some improvements to cover that.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 11:17:05 PM »

Asus probably has what you want...

Tablet? Netbook? Get both. http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/
I promise not to duck.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »

Tablet? Netbook? Get both. http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/
I've been seriously eying that for a few days, but I really want to read some reviews before I plunk down the money.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 11:36:56 AM »

Whenever my EeePC netbook gives up the ghost I'll probably look good and hard at that thing.