Author Topic: Who has had the Moderna vaccine?  (Read 1161 times)

grampster

• friend
Who has had the Moderna vaccine?
« on: April 20, 2021, 01:49:52 PM »
Swmbo and I have been going back and forth about getting vaccinated.  Had a long talk with my doc yesterday and he seemed to be knowledgeable about the mRNA concept and was not keen on the J&J for a couple of decent reasons, other than the present controversy. 

He stated that if one has had Covid it has been shown that the antibodies seem to go away after about 6 mos.  This was in response to me being concerned about having an immune system overreaction to the vaccine if one has had Covid.  (Swmbo and I are pretty sure we had Covid back in October 2019 till mid January 2020.)  Doc said a blood test now would not indicate any antibodies because of the time involved.  Doc state his mother had Covid last October and she had the vaccination and no problems for her.

So, we have an appointment next Tuesday, the 27th for the 1st Moderna shot.  I curious as to how many of you who have been vaxed have had the Moderna vax, and what sort of side effects, if any.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Who has had the Moderna vaccine?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 02:09:26 PM »
My wife and I have had both injections of the Moderna. SWMBO has a pretty nasty local reaction to the flu shot so before the China flu shot I had her pre-medicate with 25mg of Benadryl and 1000mg of Tylenol and then repeat the Benadryl every 4 hours for 8 hours, Tylenol again at 6 hours once. She had no issues with the first shot nor did I, other than a sore arm (muscular) local to the injection site.

Second shot was recently, same pre-medication routine for her. We both had a sore arm, more so on day 2 and 3 post injection. She says she seemed more tired for a couple of days, I had no issues either time.

bob

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 02:22:42 PM »
1st dose was nothing.
2nd dose was mild fatigue and headache off and on that day. Next day was headache off and on until about 5pm. By 630 I was in bed with chills and every joint and muscle in my body ached.
Almost 30 hours after second dose I said I would rather just have the WuFlu.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 02:41:44 PM »
Latest info says one has 85% immunity after the 1st shot and 95% after 2nd.  We've never had any problem with any vax ever including flu every year since the Swine Flu outbreak and 2 pnumonia shots.

Some exploration on the net says that taking nsaid for aches and  pain or a fever reducer AFTER you have your vax is ok, but not before the vax.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BobR

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 02:51:44 PM »

Some exploration on the net says that taking nsaid for aches and  pain or a fever reducer AFTER you have your vax is ok, but not before the vax.

Well if that is what the CDC says, god knows they have only said about 18,000 things. They really don't know if taking before does anything or not so out of an abundance of caution,blah, blah, blah.

Maybe it is just me but if there is a possibility of the Tylenol, etc. reducing the the immune response how long should one wait? Until the immune response is full blown? How long is that? Too many questions and way too much guessing. I will do it my way and the CDC can do it their way. YMMV

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 03:38:13 PM »
You're old enough there probably won't be any aches and pains from the vaccine.  That's more of a young adult thing. (seriously)  I think you're older than me; I had the Pfizer vaccine and *might* have had a bit of soreness in my injection arm a few hours later but it was slight enough I could have just imagined that because I was looking for it.  No noticeable reaction at all to the second shot.  I don't think there's much difference between Pfizer and Moderna.

My daughter (30 y.o.) had the Moderna vaccine and the 2nd shot made her sick, but just a 100 fever and the associated malaise for one day then she was fine.  I don't think she took anything for it.
"It's good, though..."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 04:16:32 PM »
1st dose was nothing.
2nd dose was mild fatigue and headache off and on that day. Next day was headache off and on until about 5pm. By 630 I was in bed with chills and every joint and muscle in my body ached.
Almost 30 hours after second dose I said I would rather just have the WuFlu.

Kingcreek, if you don't mind me asking what is your blood type?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 09:47:11 PM »
Mother in law (52) had the Moderna and a horrible reaction to second shot. Wife had the Pfhizer and a rough reaction to first shot and an even worse to second one, both shot reactions were way worse than her actual COVID time. Not sure if I want to get it, COVID was a nothingburger for me.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 09:56:01 PM »
I’m due for 2nd Maderna shot next Tuesday the 27th.  First round didn’t do anything other than sore arm at point of injection.  Not sure how the 2nd will fair.  Both will be administered by the VA.

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 12:28:57 AM »
Wife and I have had the 1st & 2nd Moderna shots.  First time I felt a bit drained a day or two later, not bad really.  Second time felt a little worse and for longer, a day and a half, and a lot of muscle aches, mostly arms and shoulders if that's even possible.  Wife a little worse both times.  The second shot also raised a big sore knot at the injection site on both of us.  Hers is reduced but still on her arm now which is five days later.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 06:32:52 AM »
GF had the moderna, second shot the big effort of the day was making it to the couch, hit like a ton of bricks. I didn’t miss work over the J&J but I sure wanted to, mostly body ache and fatigue.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 06:39:52 AM »
Kingcreek, if you don't mind me asking what is your blood type?
B pos
What we have here is failure to communicate.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 07:39:10 AM »
B pos

Co-worker of mine had a similar experience to yours, a horrible 36 hours after his second shot of Moderna and he is A neg.  It makes me wonder about the studies about the different blood types and the effects of Covid-19 also relating to the vaccine.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 08:30:31 AM »
I’m O-Pos so I’ll follow up here on it’s affects after dose #2 Tuesday

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 10:35:31 AM »
You guys are confirming what my reading has told me.  The reactions to the shots is all over the board and the "authorities" don't really know what to expect.  When I had the flu shot last fall I was sick for weeks with intestinal/bowel issues, and when I had the new shingles vaccine I was in bed for 4 days with fever/chills/body aches.  My instincts tell me to pass on the Covid vaccine, in any form.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 03:04:22 PM »
You guys are confirming what my reading has told me.  The reactions to the shots is all over the board and the "authorities" don't really know what to expect.  When I had the flu shot last fall I was sick for weeks with intestinal/bowel issues, and when I had the new shingles vaccine I was in bed for 4 days with fever/chills/body aches.  My instincts tell me to pass on the Covid vaccine, in any form.

Sounds like you may have a hard decision.  We are still waffling but I'm pretty sure we'll go do it.  Our oldest son was ranting about it because he read some scientist with a long list of particulars that is supposed to give him credibility said that the mRNA trains your body to reject the Cov for sure, but switches off your bodies rejection ability for other diseases. Makes your body say, "not Covid..move along, nothing to see here."  Thing is...who the heck knows what Truth is these days.

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 03:24:09 PM »
Co-worker of mine had a similar experience to yours, a horrible 36 hours after his second shot of Moderna and he is A neg.  It makes me wonder about the studies about the different blood types and the effects of Covid-19 also relating to the vaccine.

My blood type is A- and I am 37 years old. I took the Pfizer vaccine and suffered moderate/severe side effects from the second shot. The first shot was localized pain (about 4x worse than a flu shot) with a day of fatigue, similar to the first day of having the flu before a fever breaks. The 2nd shot paralyzed half of my arm within 12 hours, muscle aches, shakes, cramps all night, and I lost a day of work. The following day I medicated through the aches to get to work, as I was told NOT to medicate the first 24 hours, and after returning home I began vomiting and was sick to my stomach the rest of the night. I didn't leave the bathroom and fell asleep in the bathtub until 2am, having thrown up and dry heaved for hours, at which point I knew I was going to miss another day of work. I continued to feel ill for another 3 days and returned to work after the weekend. It was no joke. I felt terrible although no fever ever developed.

I believe that I caught an early case of Covid in late march or early April of 2020 just as the news was breaking nationally. Working with a lot of students (half Chinese) who returned from spring break, it's no surprise. I had chest pain, difficulty breathing, and a prolonged increase in blood pressure, but no fever or anosmia. My doctor pushed me through the respiratory clinic at the time which was a makeshift plastic shelter with doctors wearing hazmat suits. There were no covid tests available so they gave me an inhaler and and antibiotic, which were of no use whatsoever. A number of doctors since then have strongly suggested that it was covid but there were no tests or antibody tests available until long after I recovered.

Except for the fear of the death the vaccine was far worse. Considering I beat it once I was not going to get the vaccine until my wife became pregnant, at which point it seemed prudent for the safety of the family. Our toddler has been exposed all year long with useless (IMO) safety protocols in place and they have never been ill. So far my wife has been doing fine as well and is now halfway through her own vaccinations. That was a much more difficult choice since they were not thoroughly tested, but I allowed her to make that decision for herself.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 03:43:44 PM »
I guess I am the 1 out of ten that bucks the trend on pre-medication. It seems the reason for NSAIDs is because they don't know, but what the hell, let's say it anyhow. If this were a once in a lifetime thing then maybe, just maybe, a full blown immune response that makes you worthless for a few days is prudent. But seeing as how this will probably be a once a year thing that may or may not work against emerging variants I opted to not be down for a few days nor have the wife subjected to that. So a couple of Tylenol prior which may or may not reduce the efficacy of the vaccine was a reasonable risk to me. The caveat to avoid antihistamines (such as Benadryl, Claritin, etc) is so you do not mask a possible allergic reaction to the vaccine, not to do with efficacy of the vaccine. So I took an educated risk and did the pre-medication. In the big scheme of things I am not sure it makes one whit of difference in protection now or in the future. YMMV

bob

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2021, 06:46:33 PM »
I have a scrip for Naproxen 500 mg.  If I get achy and sore, I'll probably use one if whatever happens after the shot gets to be more than just a distraction.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 07:56:26 AM »
My daughter and ex wife just got their first dose yesterday.  Other daughter got her 2nd Pfizer dose a week ago Thursday and no side effects.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2021, 10:22:28 AM »
I got the first poke yesterday. I had no discernible reaction to it other than a slight tenderness at the poke site. That, and a vague, growing desire for brains . . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2021, 05:00:45 PM »
The clinic had switched to Pfizer today.  Shot at 930 am.  5pm now, nothing, not even a sore arm.  2nd shot will be 5-18.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2021, 11:22:40 PM »
2nd Maderna running through my bloodstream now.  Was I jetted at 0800 this morning.

As a side note, Dayton Ohio VA (where I got my shots) said they have a 97% second dose rate. I asked because there was a news article a day or so ago saying something about 80% no show for second dose.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2021, 12:08:18 AM »
My wife and I got our second dose Sunday afternoon.  About 12 hours later, I had chills that lasted for 45 minutes or so.  Most of the day Monday, I was tired and a bit woozy.  Back to normal today.  My wife had no side effects aside from a sore arm.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2021, 08:50:45 AM »
24 hours later and just a sore arm....