Author Topic: Harbor Freight rifle cases?  (Read 570 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Harbor Freight rifle cases?
« on: June 25, 2019, 10:21:50 PM »
Does anyone have experience with these?

https://www.harborfreight.com/9800-weatherproof-protective-rifle-case-long-64520.html

Definitely a poor man's Pelican, and apparently no moisture seal.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Harbor Freight rifle cases?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 12:00:51 AM »
Maybe look into Seahorse?  They're a realistic Pelican competitor, considerably lower priced, but still high quality.

https://seahorse.net/shop/gun-cases/

https://www.amazon.com/Seahorse-SE1530-Tactical-Long-Case/dp/B07KY876YT

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 12:20:48 AM »
These guys have a scratch and dent sale a couple of times a summer, I usually try to go over and get a case or two. They have some really deep discounts but even at full price they are a very good deal for a great case.

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 02:22:10 AM »
OP: "Definitely a poor man's Pelican, and apparently no moisture seal."

They make several notes about their weather tightness in the ads.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 06:52:03 AM »
I have one of the smaller ones.  They are .....OK.  shrug?  Not great, the plastic is a FAR cry from a Pelican case.  They do have a gasket and claim watertightness.  I would expect more water resistant than tight.  Good for humidity and rain/spray, where pelican cases are submersible.  HF's stupid "pressure equalization valve" is a threaded plug with an O-ring, so that's much worse then Pelican's valve.

I actually have one of the real milspec Pelican brand rifle cases and don't like it.  It's a great case, but for the amount of rifles it holds, it's heavy and bulky.  Since I'm not actually locking out of a Swimmer Delivery Vehicle on my way to the range it tends to be WAY more trouble than it's worth. (single exception is commercial air travel, but nothing screams "I have cool, expensive rifles!!" like a Pelican rifle case).

In all, based on my experiences with the more briefcase sized HF case, compared to the Pelican I also have, you will get all of the weight and bulkiness, and about 50-60% of the water and impact protection of the real thing.  Up to you if that fits your needs.

ETA: Almost forgot, the foam in the HF case is no where near as good as the real stuff.  It is both less dense, and seems to absorb oil/stuff more.  I suspect it will break down a lot faster and be the first thing that fails.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 08:56:34 AM »
I'll +1 Seahorse as very near Pelican quality at a much better price.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."