Author Topic: Reparations  (Read 1623 times)

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
Reparations
« on: June 15, 2020, 09:30:15 AM »
https://www.westernjournal.com/california-assembly-passes-reparations-bill-moves-state-one-step-closer-race-based-payments/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=conservative-brief-CT&utm_campaign=dailyam&utm_content=conservative-tribune

Since when has the corruption of blood become viable in this country? No citizen living today in this country has bought or enslaved anyone. Ergo, those who did the enslaving are long gone.

To say that the descendants of slave owners must pay for the well-being of the descendants of former slaves is to say that those descendants of former slaves are lesser and are humans incapable of self support, advancement, success, and happiness. The descendants of former slaves are no less able to support themselves, advance, succeed, and find happiness than descendants of former slave owners.

Other things to consider:
Will the descendants of former slaves be exempt from paying taxes that would fund the reparations?
Will non-descendants of former slave owners be exempt from suffering the same corruption of blood as the descendants of former slave owners and not have to pay taxes that would fund reparations?
Will all those descendants of former slaves be required to pay reparations to all those who suffered the destruction caused during the riots?

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Reparations
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 09:48:45 AM »
When do I get reparations for the millions of Europeans that where enslaved over the centuries, many in Africa?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 10:25:26 AM »
What if a descendant of slaves has other ancestors who were not slaves or who owned slaves?  Does that matter?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 10:44:10 AM »
Blood from a turnip.

And, my Dad's side came over from England in the 1880s, long after there was no more slavery in England or the US.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 10:46:27 AM »
Will black people who are NOT descended from former slaves also be lining up to receive "reparations" for something that happened to OTHER people's ancestors?

When black people were suffering slavery in North America, my ancestors had their hands full fighting off raids by Cossacks - even if they were aware of slavery here in North America, they certainly were in no position to do anything about it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 10:56:42 AM »
Blood from a turnip.

And, my Dad's side came over from England in the 1880s, long after there was no more slavery in England or the US.

They get around that, in their minds, by saying all whites benefited from black slavery directly or indirectly
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 11:03:19 AM »
What if a descendant of slaves has other ancestors who were not slaves or who owned slaves?  Does that matter?

There were black American slave owners, how about their decedents?
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 11:06:45 AM »
They get around that, in their mind, by saying all whites benefited from black slavery directly or indirectly

To that I say, "So did the descendants of the slaves." And, - um - didn't the slaves benefit from all those who died to set them free? Call it even, debt paid.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 11:14:10 AM »
To that I say, "So did the descendants of the slaves." And, - um - didn't the slaves benefit from all those who died to set them free? Call it even, debt paid.

Woody

They're taught that whites invented slavery, whites were/are the only ones who practice it, whites only enslaved blacks, all whites supported slavery, all whites benefited from black slavery and that black are still enslaved.
Whether or not some whites fought to end slavery doesn't matter, because all whites benefited from slavery in some way.

Not all blacks buy into this rubbish but it's a scary large and highly vocal percentage. And even more scary is how many politicians, many white, are promoting this for political gain. Add in the MSM and the libs and it's ____ up

- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 11:42:43 AM »
Do all white people have to pay for this?  What about Asian white people?  Hispanic white people?  Italian white people?  Irish white people?  etc.  

It is just trying to "fix" unfairness with more unfairness.  Two wrongs don't make a right.  This will just fuel more division.  

On top of that, reparations won't fix anything.  What will they do afterward when they still aren't rich and have to work?  Racial division will actually be worse afterward.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 11:52:41 AM »
As much as it's always in the news, I don't ever see it happening as any kind of legislation. What is the black population in the US? Around 15%? I have definitely seen some segment of that 15% who have stated reparations are stupid, so not even the entire black population wants to see them.

Many liberals are big talkers, but if it came to them personally having to pay up, they would do every under the radar (to hide their hypocrisy) thing they could to avoid paying.

I think the only thing they could push would be what they always push with every "free" scheme - making it the responsibility of "the one percent" and "evil corporations" to pay up. I don't think we'll ever see it coming out of the "regular Joe" tax base.

Similar to others, my people didn't get here until 1957, so buzz off with making me responsible. We, every one of us, have something bad that happened to our ancestors generations ago. And the people that had bad things happen to them had ancestors who did bad stuff to other people. Welcome to Earth.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 11:58:06 AM »
As much as it's always in the news, I don't ever see it happening as any kind of legislation. What is the black population in the US? Around 15%? I have definitely seen some segment of that 15% who have stated reparations are stupid, so not even the entire black population wants to see them.

Many liberals are big talkers, but if it came to them personally having to pay up, they would do every under the radar (to hide their hypocrisy) thing they could to avoid paying.

Unfortunately they often only figure that out when they get the bill long after they vote for it then it's on to the next feel good bill. Many have the memory of a goldfish
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 02:03:12 PM »
I think it's Coleman Hughes that says (not in so many words) he'll support reparations if the grievance-mongers agree to shut up and go away. He knows it wouldn't make any difference.

Also, longish but worth reading:
https://quillette.com/2019/03/17/reparations-and-ta-nehisi-coatess-pyrrhic-victory/

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 02:19:32 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 03:07:06 PM »
A question no one seems to ask them is
You get reparations, then what? All of the problems plaguing the black community magically disappear?
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 03:27:32 PM »
A question no one seems to ask them is
You get reparations, then what? All of the problems plaguing the black community magically disappear?

When did the war on poverty the poor start? 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 03:28:11 PM »
When did the war on poverty the poor start?  

Mid 60s
I know where you're going with this

But I would like to hear their response to that question
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 07:16:15 PM »
Actually, to see the TRUE cost of slavery on today's black Americans, shouldn't they compare THEIR situation with that of the descendants of Africans who WEREN'T enslaved and brought here?

So . . . how much worse do American blacks fare compared to black people still in places like Somalia, Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Chad, Gabon, Sudan, etc.?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 07:24:31 PM »
I identify with being a slave.  Please PM me to get the address to send your reparations.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 07:48:46 PM »
I identify with being a slave.  Please PM me to get the address to send your reparations.

- Calvin and Hobbes

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2020, 08:03:49 PM »
Will black people who are NOT descended from former slaves also be lining up to receive "reparations" for something that happened to OTHER people's ancestors?

When black people were suffering slavery in North America, my ancestors had their hands full fighting off raids by Cossacks - even if they were aware of slavery here in North America, they certainly were in no position to do anything about it.
There were also black slave owners in the US all the way from the 1600s until the 13 amendment was passed.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 04:26:31 PM »
Here we go with a hot take:

Sen. Tim Kaine: "The United States didn't inherit slavery from anybody. We created it."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2020, 04:37:05 PM »
Ex Governor of Virginia. I'm starting to notice a pattern here
- Calvin and Hobbes