Author Topic: When tomatoes are outlawed ...  (Read 2104 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
When tomatoes are outlawed ...
« on: March 29, 2013, 11:28:32 PM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: When tomatoes are outlawed ...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 11:48:58 PM »
I'm sure I've gotten a few looks since I put this up a few years ago.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 11:58:41 PM »
only outlaws will have tomatoes.

Kansas couple raided for buying indoor growing supplies

http://billingsgazette.com/news/national/kansas-couple-indoor-gardening-prompted-pot-raid/article_6a6743a1-4737-54d0-9b6c-efb9690dff9d.html

I'd play it off as a "funny mistake".

Then after a period of buddy-buddy (aided by the S.O., in the "don't sue us" mode) I would BURY them in zucchini every summer... forever.

(If you have any family/friends who grow, then try to rid themselves of their excess zucchini every year, you know what I'm talking about..)
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 04:56:23 AM »
"If this can happen to us and we are educated and have reasonable resources, how does somebody who maybe hasn't led a perfect life supposed to be free in this country?" Adlynn Harte said in an interview Friday.

Yes, one wonders about that.

Gee, couldn't all that growing equipment be interpreted as "constructive possession" of pot growing equipment?  I mean, y'know, they could have used it for growing pot...

Oh, yeah, by the way, one thing I really miss after retiring is getting all that zuccini and zuccini bread every year.   :facepalm:

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 04:59:37 AM »
 :mad:

Every time I see something like this (and it happens disturbingly often) I worry about my grandmother. She's part of aMaster Gardener extension service, and she starts a fairly large quantity of plants indoors this time of year to have them ready for the spring sale that goes to help support the program.  =|
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 07:04:35 AM »
When I noticed that they check electrical usage, I checked my bill.  Last bill was 162 kWh.  Unless I was using LEDs. I guess that puts me under the radar for high lighting usage, huh?

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 11:38:09 AM »
Someone needs to sequester the war on weed.
What a waste of time and money - in addition to being a huge violation of civil liberties.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 11:59:44 AM »
Did they actually have a search warrant?  The article doesn't say.
"It's good, though..."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »
It implies that one was issued...based on months of surveillance. 

During the sweep, the court filing said, the Hartes were told they had been under surveillance for months, but the couple "know of no basis for conducting such surveillance nor do they believe such surveillance would have produced any facts supporting the issuance of a search warrant."

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/news/national/kansas-couple-indoor-gardening-prompted-pot-raid/article_6a6743a1-4737-54d0-9b6c-efb9690dff9d.html#ixzz2P2WJoWRX

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 12:44:42 PM »
I saw that.  It doesn't say the police presented a warrant; it implies that they had one.  But at least they knocked on the door instead of knocking it down or throwing a stun grenade through the window.

I wonder what happens if you demand to see and read the warrant before letting them in?  (it's probably not pretty, especially if they forgot to bring it)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:19:55 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 01:03:11 PM »
And to think, at one time we got all worked up about a little tax on tea  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Poper

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 07:05:22 PM »
And to think, at one time we got all worked up about a little tax on tea  ;/
Ain't it the truth!

"If this can happen to us and we are educated and have reasonable resources, how does somebody who maybe hasn't led a perfect life supposed to be free in this country?" Adlynn Harte said in an interview Friday.
What do you suppose the real answer is to your question, Adlynn?  Like maybe nobody is truly "free" in America anymore?   ???

Poper

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 08:39:02 PM »
 "When tomatos are outlawed..."
The Italian mafia will go into overdrive =D

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 08:55:47 PM »
They were under surveillance for months and they couldn't figure out what they were doing? :mad:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »
They were under surveillance for months and they couldn't figure out what they were doing? :mad:

Perhaps they surveillance was as non-existent as the pot they hoped to find?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 02:32:16 PM »

I wonder what happens if you demand to see and read the warrant before letting them in?  (it's probably not pretty, especially if they forgot to bring it)

"When the subjects were not cooperative, we restrained them to ensure our safety and to ensure that no evidence was destroyed."   :police:
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 05:27:31 PM »
Kind of funny. A place I pickup indoor growing supplies at has a sign right on there counter. "Please don't ask about growing weed"
Also funny, they don't take credit cards. I asked the guy one day about that and he says most people that come in use cash. At least I befriended the guy enough to believe I was not a dead beat and to take a personal check. Because I don't have the cash of a drug dealer on hand.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods