Author Topic: Bullets EXPLODING at a Quarter Million Frames Per Second!  (Read 1151 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Bullets EXPLODING at a Quarter Million Frames Per Second!
« on: January 30, 2023, 04:17:25 AM »
Bullets EXPLODING at a Quarter Million Frames Per Second! - Ballistic High-Speed Channel

https://youtu.be/VK7bCs4Ho_I
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Bullets EXPLODING at a Quarter Million Frames Per Second!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 08:45:09 AM »
 That is pretty cool...thanks for posting.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 11:03:12 AM »
Any time. I thought it would be good here and wanted it to be visible even to passing guests.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 01:22:03 PM »
Cool video, thanks.

I've seen quite a few of these guy's videos about shooting stuff and all are entertaining. However, on one hand they sort of seem like gun guys but on the other a lot of their comments seem to show a lack of knowledge about some pretty basic stuff.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 01:51:07 PM »
They must have found a way to monetize their videos - did you catch how much their new camera cost? One guy said a quarter million dollars, the other said $200k. Either way . . . business must be good.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 02:13:31 PM »
They must have found a way to monetize their videos - did you catch how much their new camera cost? One guy said a quarter million dollars, the other said $200k. Either way . . . business must be good.

Dammit Carl! You weren't suppose to aim at the camera!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 02:46:21 PM »
Would that be "exploding" or "fragmenting" bullets after hitting steel plate?

bob

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 03:46:06 PM »
Would that be "exploding" or "fragmenting" bullets after hitting steel plate?

bob

Pedant!
(One who ostentatiously exhibits academic knowledge or who pays undue attention to minor details or formal rules.)
MOLON LABE!

WindBreaker

• AKA: "Sir Fartsalot"
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 07:19:10 PM »
Cool video, would rather see the results in the jell. The plate looked great, but reaction into the jell tells me a lot more of which one is better for my defense. Jell would be much harder if not imposable to get in that detail because it takes longer to slow/stop may be out of focus by then. but as this video showed, the cameras are getting much, much better. Faster, better detail (higher res) less over the top light dependent, and no longer requires a PHD in "Greek word, Latin Word, Sanskrit Sanskrit, something made up, ology" just to operate the thing. Any good'o'boy that can still find his 10mm can probably figure it out now.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 09:45:45 PM »

Could be a rental.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 09:49:43 PM »
Gel, not jell, Bosco2.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 10:23:08 PM »
Gel, not jell, Bosco2.

Nah, he's been vouched for as a bona-fide deplorable.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2023, 10:58:36 PM »
However, on one hand they sort of seem like gun guys but on the other a lot of their comments seem to show a lack of knowledge about some pretty basic stuff.

You noticed that too, eh?

And I thought anyone who referred to a Desert Eagle as a "Deagle" was automatically classified as a dweeb.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 03:24:53 AM »
 Welcome to the zoo!  :old:

Cool video, would rather see the results in the jell.

But, this about what it looked like against steel. It wasn't a "projectile effectiveness test" into gel. That's been done half to death! Can't we just enjoy some senseless destruction? ;)
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2023, 03:27:36 AM »
Gel, not jell, Bosco2.

OUCH! Windbreaker, you were just insulted!!!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2023, 08:39:56 AM »

Could be a rental.

Or a loaner.
Free advertising showing the capabilities of the camera
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2023, 09:09:48 AM »
Or a loaner.
Free advertising showing the capabilities of the camera

Likely leased or rented. Allows for amortization of cost without the liability of general upkeep and maintenance.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2023, 10:11:22 AM »
Likely leased or rented. Allows for amortization of cost without the liability of general upkeep and maintenance.

Brad

In a follow-up video released yesterday, one of the Ballistics Hi-Speed duo alludes to actually owning the cameras.  He has built a business around high speed photography separate from the YouTube channel.  He has purchased, traded and sold many cameras over the years.

"Answering Your Questions" video by Ballistics Hi-Speed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dgu0sHJ-8s
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2023, 11:53:24 AM »
In light of past disussions of whether bullets can create flashes when striking, which generated much debate, I especially noted the tiny flashes in some of the impacts.

I repeat again, redundantly, and over and over, that velocity = temperature, and at least at the microscopic level, something was getting very hot from the impact in these vids.

In past discussions people didn't believe me when I said I've seen flashes toward dusk from a hot .243  hitting plain old rocks.  This was up in the Pawnee Grasslands when the  Grasslands were the Grasslands before they got covered by tourists, birdwatchers, and Rangers --and you could exercise a few ballistic whims without fear. 

A lot of the rocks lying around up there are flint, so the flashes were not due to steel impacts.  Imagine what goes on when the first molecule of bullet hits the first molecule of rock.  Or armor plate, as in the videos.

Terry, 230RN

REF (For tenderfeet... "BLM," by the way, will always mean "Bureau of Land Management"):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_grassland

https://www.blm.gov/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 12:34:26 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2023, 12:42:15 PM »
I've seen quite a few non-tracer .50 BMG rounds flash red streaks when they ricochet off something downrange.  I always just guessed it was friction heating, but there certainly could have been some other mechanism at work.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2023, 01:46:39 PM »
^ Interesting...
------------------

WINDBREAKER, I think you're right about seeing vids of ballistic gel, but many of us are equally interested in all phases of terminal ballistics.

I think "jell" as a verb is a stretch from "gel," but the way verbs are habitually nounalized in today's English, no problem.

Welcome aboard.... is your "handle" related to sailing vessels?  Or maybe just densely woven outer garments?

Terry, 230RN

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2023, 01:53:27 PM »
Welcome aboard.... is your "handle" related to sailing vessels?  Or maybe just densely woven outer garments?

Terry, 230RN

He's no squid but he CAN be pretty dense!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2023, 04:56:15 PM »
^ Interesting...
------------------

WINDBREAKER, I think you're right about seeing vids of ballistic gel, but many of us are equally interested in all phases of terminal ballistics.

I think "jell" as a verb is a stretch from "gel," but the way verbs are habitually nounalized in today's English, no problem.

Terry, 230RN
I have seen a lot of gel videos.  I would be curious about other stuff like blocks of wood, soda cans, etc. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2023, 05:08:24 PM »
I have seen a lot of gel videos.  I would be curious about other stuff like blocks of wood, soda cans, etc. 

Soda cans? AK Jesus shoots a ton of White Claws... :O
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2023, 06:58:50 PM »
I shot a full CO2 pellet gun cartridge once with a .22 and it just PSHT! and flew away.  Decided it could be moderately dangerous if it decided to choose my direction to react.  I was pretty close, maybe twenty feet.

Son1 shot a supposedly expended oxygen generator canister and it exploded dangerously even though it was supposedly empty.

I shot a .357 straight up in the Grasslands a couple of times and finally heard one come down.  Kind of a variable rr-rr-rr-rr-rr-plop sound, but I didn't see it or find it.

Just to add to the data base of fun stuff to shoot at but maybe not so much fun if something goes wrong. =D

Terry, 230RN