Author Topic: Amazon's Kindle wasn't selling that well, so...  (Read 10877 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Amazon's Kindle wasn't selling that well, so...
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2009, 04:37:05 PM »
Speaking of DRM.... http://xkcd.com/488/

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Marvin Dao

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2009, 05:45:06 PM »
The Sony I looked at was not. There was a flash during the "page turn" that would give me a headache.

They're all like that and you get used to it fairly quickly. After using it for a while, you don't even notice the refresh interval since your eyes disfocus and are already moving back up the screen while it's going on.

Quote from: Manedwolf
I just don't get the appeal. It's the sort of nickel and diming that usually implies a loss leader device, but instead, it's a premium priced device plus the nickel and diming, and absolutely locked-up DRM.

It's a niche product for people who don't have an issue with DRM. Most of what I read on my Sony Reader is generally a one time read only, so the DRM restrictions aren't really a bother. Anything more than that and I search out a trade paperback copy. The lack of permanence isn't a big deal either since the majority of my books go off to the local Half Priced Books on a yearly basis. Either way, it's gone and total cost is roughly the same. And, IMO, the reading experience on an eBook is superior to standard format paperbacks.

True, the newspaper subscriptions are overly costly. The pricing structure is workable, if somewhat costly, for text heavy magazines. The blog thing is nonsensical, but hey, it's free money for them if you're dumb or rich enough to find it worth it. But really, the device is about books and the books tend to be fairly priced.

All the proposed substitutes, iPhone (got one), netbook (got one), etc. are less expensive and more flexible, but they don't do the eBook core function nearly as well as a dedicated unit.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2009, 08:06:33 PM »
That's one thing I liked about the new BSG.
"HAY HERE'S A CLIPBOARD WITH PAPER AND A PEN"
Unlike Star Trek where EVERYTHING even on the supposedly "PRIMITIVE PRE-WARP PLANETS" was a super high tech neat computer pad that can run two instances of Crysis at 100fps each.

I view this product to be about as silly as the latter TV series.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.