Author Topic: Submarine found off coast in Necochea, Argentina, belonged to Nazis  (Read 739 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Confirmed: Submarine found off coast in Necochea, Argentina, belonged to Nazis
https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/argentina/confirmed-submarine-found-near-necochea-belonged-to-nazis.phtml

The remains of the submarine found seven months ago near Necochea, southwest Buenos Aires Province, which had been deliberately sunk in 1945, belong to a ship from the German Kriegsmarine (Navy), an Italian investigative unit has determined.

According to the Eslabón Perdido group, the Italian Naval League has confirmed that the submarine is of German origin, a type VII or IX U-Boat.
Unlikely that anyone who got off that sub are still alive, but interesting.

"In the winter of 1945, the commissioner of Necochea received a report of landings in the area. The commissioner went there that day and noticed that there were footprints coming from the sea. And tyre tracks," he added.

A periscope was one of the ship's key identifying factors. Investigators also spotted body features that are characteristic of a U-Boat, noting “the distinctive shape attributable to a turret deflector."
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Submarine found off coast in Necochea, Argentina, belonged to Nazis
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 07:42:23 PM »
wow, "they" or "we" really dropped the ball after WW2.
I recall being a kid in the sixties and shocked that nazi war criminals were walking around breathing free air
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 08:03:33 PM »
wow, "they" or "we" really dropped the ball after WW2.
I recall being a kid in the sixties and shocked that nazi war criminals were walking around breathing free air

If only more people knew the multiple ways we *expletive deleted*ed up the end of WWII from letting tons of Nazis go to letting the Soviets keep tens of thousands of Americans liberated from POW camps to giving immunity to Japan’s Unit 731…
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 08:16:35 PM »
Considering this is a submarine, what do you think we could have done different?  We didn't have the ability to keep a watch on the entire Atlantic for German subs.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 10:45:07 PM »
Considering this is a submarine, what do you think we could have done different?  We didn't have the ability to keep a watch on the entire Atlantic for German subs.

I'd put the blame squarely on Argentina's immigration policies and enforcement.

From Wikipedia:

Between 1878 and 1884 the so-called Conquest of the Desert occurred, with the purpose of giving by means of the constant confrontations between natives and Criollos in the border,[79] and the appropriation of the indigenous territories, tripling the Argentine territory. The first conquest, consisted of a series of military incursions into the Pampa and Patagonian territories dominated by the indigenous peoples,[80] distributing them among the members of the Sociedad Rural Argentina, financiers of the expeditions.[81] The conquest of Chaco lasted up to the end of the century,[82] since its full ownership of the national economic system only took place when the mere extraction of wood and tannin was replaced by the production of cotton.[83] The Argentine government considered indigenous people as inferior beings, without the same rights as Criollos and Europeans.[84]

In 1912, President Roque Sáenz Peña enacted universal and secret male suffrage, which allowed Hipólito Yrigoyen, leader of the Radical Civic Union (or UCR), to win the 1916 election. He enacted social and economic reforms and extended assistance to small farms and businesses. Argentina stayed neutral during World War I. The second administration of Yrigoyen faced an economic crisis, precipitated by the Great Depression.[85]

In 1930, Yrigoyen was ousted from power by the military led by José Félix Uriburu. Although Argentina remained among the fifteen richest countries until mid-century,[23] this coup d'état marks the start of the steady economic and social decline that pushed the country back into underdevelopment.[29]

Uriburu ruled for two years; then Agustín Pedro Justo was elected in a fraudulent election, and signed a controversial treaty with the United Kingdom. Argentina stayed neutral during World War II, a decision that had full British support but was rejected by the United States after the attack on Pearl Harbor. In 1943 a military coup d'état, led by General Arturo Rawson toppled the democratically elected government of Ramón Castillo. Under pressure from the United States, later Argentina declared war on the Axis Powers (on 27 March 1945, roughly a month before the end of World War II in Europe).

Declared war on the Axis 1 month before the war ended, under duress.

They really didn't give a f*ck. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 07:23:56 AM »
. . . Declared war on the Axis 1 month before the war ended, under duress.

They really didn't give a f*ck.
Unless there's a mutual defense treaty, most nations didn't want to get directly involved in "someone else's" war unless they get attacked. WE didn't get directly involved in WWII until Pearl Harbor. (Although we were selling/giving/trading war supplies to Britain beforehand . . . and there was the AVG in China starting in early 1941.) And we might not have gotten directly involved in the European theater if Hitler hadn't declared war on us in response to our declaration of war on Japan. (Hitler cited a mutual defense treaty with Japan, but I've read it didn't require Germany to assist Japan when Japan initiated hostilities. Another "oops" on Hitler's part.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 09:26:53 AM »
Unless there's a mutual defense treaty, most nations didn't want to get directly involved in "someone else's" war unless they get attacked. WE didn't get directly involved in WWII until Pearl Harbor. (Although we were selling/giving/trading war supplies to Britain beforehand . . . and there was the AVG in China starting in early 1941.)

While elements of the AVG were filtering into China before PH they didn't actually see combat until after PH
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 09:35:17 AM »
While elements of the AVG were filtering into China before PH they didn't actually see combat until after PH
I think you just may be right about that. On the other hand, American pilots in the Eagle Squadron were involved in air combat over Britain and Europe prior to PH.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 09:39:13 AM »
I think you just may be right about that. On the other hand, American pilots in the Eagle Squadron were involved in air combat over Britain and Europe prior to PH.

Which is something many aren't aware of perhaps because the AVG gets the lion's share of the media.

Check out the BBC mini series Piece of Cake about a British Spitfire (In the book they flew Hurricanes) squadron from Phony War to the Battle of Britain. There's an American pilot in the squadron who's also a veteran of the Spanish Civil War who tries to teach the squadron what he learn there.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2022, 09:52:02 AM »
Coming down from the skies to the seas, FDR also traded 50 "old" U.S. destroyers to Britain in 1940 for basing rights in various British possessions, a move which critics decried as a violation of the Neutrality Acts. What isn't well known is that the Brits took these desperately needed warships and immediately began refitting them, in part to make the officer's quarters larger and the crew's quarters smaller, a very British thing to do. (WW2 histories I've read are silent on this, I heard it from a WWII Navy veteran who saw that first hand.)

So we had our hands - to some degree, anyway - involved in WW2 prior to PH.

Argentina did too . . . but sorta kinda on the other side, considering how many Nazis ended up settling there. They probably didn't particularly like NortAmericano Gringos.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 03:31:09 PM »
I have heard there were Russian pilots flying for the Chinese prior to the Russians getting attacked as well.  It was brought up when someone was looking at the origin of hit and run tactics versus turning dog fights. 

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2022, 11:07:58 AM »
Makes me wonder who used that sub to escape man's judgement...

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2022, 12:09:35 PM »
Makes me wonder who used that sub to escape man's judgement...

Woody
I think post-war nazi hunters caught up with at least some of them. Certainly all the high ranking nazis are gone by now; last one I heard of facing trial was now a very elderly woman who was a young secretary back then.