Author Topic: ATF Agents Find Weapons in Dumpster  (Read 5473 times)

crt360

• friend
ATF Agents Find Weapons in Dumpster
« on: May 26, 2009, 05:57:53 PM »
Updated: Tuesday, 26 May 2009, 4:07 PM CDT
Published : Tuesday, 26 May 2009, 4:07 PM CDT

* Ryan O'Keefe

AUSTIN - ATF agents found weapons and ammunition in a dumpster located at an apartment complex Tuesday morning.

ATF says they found 8 upper receiver of AR-15 style rifles along with 2,000 rounds of ammunition at apartments on Swanee Drive. The upper receivers are just the top part of the rife (not the full weapon). They are still investigating how the weapons got in the dumpster and who may have dumped them.

The guns are now at APD being fingerprinted. 

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/local/052609_atf_agents_find_weapons_in_dumpster

Now that's a real shame when people be throwin' away perfectly good uppers and ammo like that.

When did the ATF start dumpster diving?  Hell, maybe I'll give it a try.  :laugh:

There better be more to this story.
For entertainment purposes only.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: ATF Agents Find Weapons in Dumpster
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:32:21 PM »
They wouldn't be looking unless tipped off to do so.  There is definitely more to the story.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 06:42:11 PM »
Some guys get all the luck =(
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »
Yeah, those are the uppers and cartridges that were stolen from me a while back.  Good thing you guys found 'em for me!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:52:53 PM »
They wouldn't be looking unless tipped off to do so.  There is definitely more to the story.

Typical doughnuts in dumpster report, I imagine.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 06:58:29 PM »
Oh, crud . . . this happened right here in Austin and the BATmen got to them before I did . . .

What rotten luck . . .

:police:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 07:54:46 PM »

Brad

I wouldn't be surprised if the Waffen BATFEces didn't put them there themselves to generate a "story".

Tonkin Gulf anyone?
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 07:59:12 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the Waffen BATFEces didn't put them there themselves to generate a "story".

Tonkin Gulf anyone?

;/

This just in:
Moon landing faked.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 09:35:16 PM »
Fine. Roll your eyes.

But remember this is an agency that has a reputation for lying in court and on affidavits, manufacturing evidence and using sloppy questionable investigative methods.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 09:39:30 PM »
Is there some law against throwing away gun parts, or would this fall under "looks suspiciously like someone's trying to get rid of evidence"?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 09:42:48 PM »
What possible reason could a person have to throw away perfectly functioning gun parts that do not have serial numbers and cannot be traced to him in any way, shape, or form?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 09:59:45 PM »
i pulled an MP5 out of the trash last week

it was an airsoft, but still kinda cool!
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 11:00:23 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if it was ATF parts that they lost.

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 12:09:48 AM »
An upper is not a weapon. Even the ATF considers the "gun" to be the lower. It has the serial number.

Can you say Mech Tech? Provide your own pistol frame for a carbine length upper.

OHHH. And live ammo too.

Someone just tried to secretly dispose of their hitman arsenal. In a public dumpster.

...Or maybe some SWMBO got super pissed at her man.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 12:45:28 AM »
yeah, they had to be tipped off somehow.  On today's market that could be 5 or 6 grand of stuff, I'm guessing it was stolen and the fools that stole it didn't know what to do with just the uppers, figured it was better to dump them.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 03:24:06 AM »
yeah, they had to be tipped off somehow.  On today's market that could be 5 or 6 grand of stuff, I'm guessing it was stolen and the fools that stole it didn't know what to do with just the uppers, figured it was better to dump them.

Or somebody died and an anti relative tossed the evil gun stuff.

Even a really dumb thief wouldn't dump 2k rounds of 5.56 right now.  Finding a no-questions-asked buyer at a decent price would take, what, a minute?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 09:33:57 AM »
I suspect a Burglary where someone had second thoughts or was told to "hold on to these".
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 09:45:07 AM »
Is there some law against throwing away gun parts,

Well, if it was CA, outside of the "evil" weapons, they would have violated 874 environmental laws...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 09:52:27 AM »

+1 on that.

Criminals/low-lifes dealing in stolen property with no idea what to do without lowers. And maybe they found out after a little amatuer research that the lowers have to be FFL'ed, NICS'ed, and are the serialed/traced part. (and that AR lowers/LPK's are also still somewhat inflated in price and hard to come by in the Obama market right now...)

And the .223/5.56 'boolits'/caps did not fit any of their other 'gats', so dumped it all. Someone else saw it in the dumpster and called it in.

To us in the "gun culture" trying to think of how to profit from such loot realize that we could have sold it all at a gun show for cash, probably within less than an hour, and not even been in violation of any laws, other than dealing in presumably stolen property, that is. Or if we wanted to be careful, could concoct a cover story about them being our "dead father's gun stuff" etc. and sell them quietly one at a time every few weeks etc.

The one thing that we here reading this story and being confused is that we keep trying to apply rational non-criminal logic to their actions. I suspect anyone with a LE background will tell you to chuck that line of reasoning out the window. Criminals (at least low-level property crime) are by definition opportunistic and lazy. Also, if they had better intelligence or mental faculties, they'd find better prospects in the law-abiding world, or at least move into an organizing or king-pin type of role within the criminal arena.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:00:43 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 10:01:07 AM »
I'm thinking more along the lines of someone ditching the goods at Baby Mama's or Cousin Cledus who got nervous (or mad if no child support check) and ditched them and called the po-po.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 10:19:57 AM »
I'm thinking more along the lines of someone ditching the goods at Baby Mama's or Cousin Cledus who got nervous (or mad if no child support check) and ditched them and called the po-po.

That too.  =D

"They" expect to be searched, and/or take law enforcment involvment in their chaotic lives as a given. "We" don't think of it in those terms, for most of us, the last time any LEO was on or in our property was by invitation, probably just to file a report on some other issue.

I feel I could safely enscone about 100 NFA violations, 10 million in cash, small bills, and a couple hundred kilograms of various illegal substances in my home and never have it discovered, but that's because I don't have the law in my life. Sort of a catch-22. Because I am such a person, I don't have those things, despite my ability to keep and conceal them with near impunity.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:24:45 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 10:43:46 AM »
What possible reason could a person have to throw away perfectly functioning gun parts that do not have serial numbers and cannot be traced to him in any way, shape, or form?
If the barrel was still attached ballistics might be able to match them to a crime that had been committed.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 11:59:03 AM »
Dang it, and I need an upper, too!  I'd like to complete my AR someday...

oldfart

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 12:27:40 PM »
There's always the possibility that some guy managed to piss off his girlfriend and she tossed his toys.  Usually we see stereos and clothes either in the dumpster or on the sidewalk but maybe she knew what would hurt him more.

On another note:  A few years ago a guy was captured after a police shoot-out near here.  The cops also wanted to talk to his room-mate who was supposed to have an "arsenal" in his car.  When they finally found him there was no arsenal but a couple of days later some kids just happened to find a bunch of guns and ammo laying in some brush alongside a bike trail.  When I think of all the times I rode that bike-trail without ever looking in the brush I nearly cry.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 12:55:13 PM »
I feel I could safely enscone about 100 NFA violations, 10 million in cash, small bills, and a couple hundred kilograms of various illegal substances in my home and never have it discovered, but that's because I don't have the law in my life. Sort of a catch-22. Because I am such a person, I don't have those things, despite my ability to keep and conceal them with near impunity.

What time you want your no-knock warrant entry ??   :police: :police: :police: :police:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.