Author Topic: Body Armor Ban  (Read 1012 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Body Armor Ban
« on: January 05, 2021, 10:22:41 AM »
Just received the below email from Armored Republic this morning. Obviously they have a big and biased stake in the outcome, but this certainly seems like it could be rolled into stuff on guns that the new admin will be attempting to do. Seems like body armor could fall into the same category as bump stocks, where "conservatives" figure it's an easy giveaway to the left in exchange for other stuff (even in exchange for other firearms related restrictions). After all, only white militias use body armor [cough/antifa/cough].

I haven't researched it, but does anyone know off the top of their heads if armor is restricted or banned at the state level anywhere at this time?

Body Armor Regulation Proposal to Start Off 2021
What Is the Bill?
A new bill introduced to outlaw body armor in New York would make it illegal for civilians to purchase body armor and could find them guilty even if they have owned body armor for years. If the bill is passed, body armor owners would be required to turn in their life-saving gear at law enforcement agencies such as local or state police, FBI, or DEA. Failing to surrender their “body vests” within 15 days of the effective date of this new law could have severe repercussions.

What Is the Penalty?
Breaking this new law would result in a class A misdemeanor. Repeat offenders could potentially earn themselves a class E felony, and depending on their circumstances, the penalty could consist of fines, probation, and even up to 4 years in prison.

What Is Your Duty?
You must stop and reflect upon the truth. Body Armor is a Tool of Liberty. You are Free Men. Live as Free Men and oppose this asinine bill.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Body Armor Ban
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:35:05 AM »
At the federal level:  https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-18-crimes-and-criminal-procedure/18-usc-sect-931.html
(a) In general. --Except as provided in subsection (b), it shall be unlawful for a person to purchase, own, or possess body armor, if that person has been convicted of a felony that is--
 (1)  a crime of violence (as defined in section 16 );  or
 (2)  an offense under State law that would constitute a crime of violence under paragraph (1) if it occurred within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States.
(b) Affirmative defense.--
 (1) In general. --It shall be an affirmative defense under this section that--
 . (A)  the defendant obtained prior written certification from his or her employer that the defendant's purchase, use, or possession of body armor was necessary for the safe performance of lawful business activity;  and
 . (B)  the use and possession by the defendant were limited to the course of such performance.
 (2) Employer. --In this subsection, the term “employer” means any other individual employed by the defendant's business that supervises defendant's activity.  If that defendant has no supervisor, prior written certification is acceptable from any other employee of the business.
There's lots of state level regulation.  Most have to do with use in the commission of a crime or possession by felons but CT prohibits anything but face-to-face sales of body armor.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 10:38:37 AM »
Like Cordex said it's mostly an add on charge when used during a crime, and many states restrict felons from owning it.

https://defendapackgear.com/pages/body-armor-laws-by-state-alphabetical-order

It is also, of course, an ITAR item.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 11:12:54 AM »
Thanks for that info, guys.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 11:19:48 AM »
They want our "EVIL BLACK RIFLES"  and our 30 round mags....now they're after body armor .....  :mad:

WHAT THE H3LL ARE THEY PLANNING TO DO TO US? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?   :O
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Scott Metro

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 11:31:58 AM »
They want our "EVIL BLACK RIFLES"  and our 30 round mags....now they're after body armor .....  :mad:

You know the answer to that. Look to history for the answer.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 11:38:48 AM »
Banning it won't work. But you already knew that.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diy+body+armor
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 12:21:26 PM »
Banning it won't work. But you already knew that.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diy+body+armor
So what makes a good ablative coating to catch shrapnel? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 12:26:02 PM »

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 12:26:48 PM »

I'm willing to bet steel-belted radials would work.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 01:48:21 PM »

As far as they're concerned you don't need no black rifles, 30rd mags, and body armor in the gulag. Those things are reserved for the guards.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 02:18:58 PM »

The coating on my AR500 armor sure looks a lot like the Line-X in the back of my truck, and Line-X makes those bomb resistant structures for the military anyways.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 02:41:39 PM »
I'm willing to bet steel-belted radials would work.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 02:55:20 PM »
A lot of the spall coating is Bed liner. The hacks selling armor at the gun shows having been telling anyone with ears that armor was going to be banned any day now for decades. I want to get some armor but the best armor for the Appalachian intifada is looking like a normal person trying to barely survive.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 05:40:01 PM »
I found out about the ban in Connecticut in a rather innocuous way, when I tried to order a surplus German Army flak vest simply because I thought it looked cool and I don't know the value of $40.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 08:40:40 PM »

Ceramic tiles expoxied to layered kevlar fabric.  DIY armor has been a thing for at least 15 years.

ETA: Sorry, the kevlar backing is to catch the spall, truck liner coatings and perhaps additional kevlar on the front to catch bullet fragmentation.