Author Topic: Turkey prepares to invade Syria  (Read 3347 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Turkey prepares to invade Syria
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 10:26:40 PM »
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Now ... if only we could figure out who our enemy is, and who their enemies are, we'd know who our friends are. Thanks to the Big O, I don't think we have a lot of friends today.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 10:35:51 PM »
I was never very comfortable with some of our "friends" in the middle east.

Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Kuwait never really impressed me much as far as being "friends".

We should help the Kurds take over Syria, that would should stir things up a bit  =D

Cozy back up to Egypt also.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 08:31:10 AM »
Saudi and Kuwait are only our friends because we saved their asses in 91.  Turkey isn't our friend, they are a NATO ally at best.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 12:36:10 PM »
If that's not damning with faint praise I don't know what is.

I haven't spent as much time with our allies as some here, but I have done more then a couple joint things with NATO.  My experiance has been that the Turks are muslem enough in culture that they are NATO's slow cousin.  We only let them in because we wanted missles there, and now we're kinda embarassed by their behavior.

I trained with several Turkish army units. Their infantry forces are good to very good, but very different than Western units. NCOs aren't as good until you hit senior NCO ranks, officers have damn near life and death control over their enlisted under all circumstances. I don't think their other forces were as good as their ground forces, but didn't spend much time with their other forces. They seemed adequately competent on land operations.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 04:09:42 PM »
To back of RevDisk, and the "and death" part, it was reported to me by an Airforce EM that a Turkish EM was summarily executed on the spot by the Turkish  officer of the guard for sleeping while on guard duty.  To hear our guy tell it, the airbase at Incirlik is notionally a Turkish airbase, with Turks providing base security.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.