Author Topic: Steak recipes and dreams  (Read 3422 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Re: Steak recipes and dreams
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 01:00:32 PM »
Start with a nice T-Bone or Ribeye. Sprinkle with Salt, pepper and garlic. If you've just gotta paint that meat with something then Terriyaki and Honey works well.

Build heat source with charcoal. When it's white add chunks of the hardwood of your choice. I prefer mesquite but hickory, apple, cherry are all good too.

Toss the meat on the grill while the wood is burning - i.e flame on. The perfect steak will be crispy on the outside with a slight char (not burnt), hot and just a bit past blood rare on the inside (you need a very hot fire to achieve this perfection). Eat with Texas Garlic Toast and fresh tomato wedges. ummmm ummmm gooooood!

Learned how to make it that way in Mexico - those folks know how to cook a steak (they don't use Terriyaki or honey as far as I know).
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 02:14:32 PM »
Now on to the mad-cow issue.  I might be blinded by the cattle companies, there are plenty around here, but it my impression that you, or anything for that matter, would have to eat part of the nervous system (or it might even be just the brain) of a downer cow in order to be effected.  If you only eat the muscle then all should be good.  I could imagine that hot dogs and hamburger meat might include some nervous system, but steak shouldn't be a problem.  Am I right about this?

That's my understanding as well but I don't think I would eat any of a known infected animal.  The risk is just too great, a friend of mine died of the human variant of mad-cow, it's not pretty.  The real hazard is food poisoning from bad or contaminated ground meat products, a solid cut of meat is not usually a problem. 
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2006, 02:15:32 PM »
Get the charcoal very hot.
Worcetershire sauce.
Butter.
Only takes a few minutes.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 02:36:08 PM »
Ideally, I prefer to wet my steaks down with red wine and dump a little Montreal Steak Seasoning on them and let them sit for about hour or so.
Then cook them over either charcoal or gas laced with mesquite chips. Rare to medium rare.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006, 03:22:29 PM »
The perfect steak will be crispy on the outside with a slight char (not burnt), hot and just a bit past blood rare on the inside....
Perfection is in the eye of the taster.  That sounds pretty bad to me.   Smiley 
I have tried to eat a steak that was seared like that and it tasted like crap.  Each to his own though.  My brother likes medium rare
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2006, 12:10:05 AM »
If you only eat the muscle then all should be good.  I could imagine that hot dogs and hamburger meat might include some nervous system, but steak shouldn't be a problem.  Am I right about this?

afaik ...nope... cheapskates used to feed sheep & cows animal products, some of these sheep had scrapie (I think it was a brain disease) they fed the diseased  sheep to the cows (including brain material).
Then the cows got Bovine Spongiform Encephalitus (sic?) people ate the cows and the rest is history...

(this is all afaik, I am not a neuro surgeon) the disease is spread by "prions" a virus like organism
(I think that the thing was haunting/taunting me whist dreaming) that is not killed by cooking, and you can get CJD (human mad cow disease) from eating infected meat, you do not need to eat brains...

Now I've gone and made myself hungry again... does any know about that green peppers and steak recipe?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2006, 01:31:15 AM »
If I was to cook steak and peppers I'd drop a little olive oil into a hot pan, toss some garlic into it and let it sizzle for a few seconds and then I'd dump diced green peppers, onion and your choice of steak and just sautee it for a while on a medium heat. Use whatever seasonings you like. I'd probably just do a little kosher salt and fresh black pepper.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who didn't answer your question the first time.  grin

Some people would leave the steak whole btw...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2006, 02:21:47 AM »
For those of you who just have to sprinkle stuff on your steaks, I would like to recommend this product.

I thought it was just another spice blend till I tried it. I thought it was pretty good. When they say bold and sassy, they mean it.

Can be bought online here:

http://www.alpinetouch.com/shop.html

bob

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2006, 04:55:10 AM »
ACK!!!  Another one fallen into the pit of meat-eating!  What is the world coming to?  cheesy

I'm not a big beef eater, but prefer buffalo or game meats.  Grilling over an open heat source is the ONLY way to go in my book.  Propane will do in a pinch, but wood fueled fire is preferable.  Since we seem to be short of hardwood forests here in Colorado for some reason, the fire is fueled with pine deadwood.  I don't use any sort of marinate, but DO wrap the medallion of meat in a couple of strips of bacon and sprinkle with a bit of salt.  Cook to taste and enjoy with ears of corn roasted in the husk.

On prions: They are not viral but apparently are proteins normally found in the host animal that have become folded abnormally.  Interestingly they have to abiltiy to convert otherwise normal proteins into prions.  Heating does not destroy them, unless you completely break down the covalent bonds in amino acid chains.  Of course, this also renders the meat to lump of inedible carbon.

Its a risk (though small at the moment) that comes with eating mammal meats.  Life is full of risks, and none of us are getting out alive.  So enjoy the steak/burger/sausage.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2006, 06:41:15 AM »
I don't use any sort of marinate, but DO wrap the medallion of meat in a couple of strips of bacon and sprinkle with a bit of salt.  Cook to taste and enjoy with ears of corn roasted in the husk.
Been there and done that...

Truly a fine way to cook a steak. And the corn? Ummmm Ummmm good. [best Homer Simpson voice] Ummmmmmmm.... fire roasted corrrrrn. [/voice]
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2006, 07:20:37 AM »
Rub the steak with a garlic clove on both sides.  Let marinade in soy sauce.  Sear both sides at high temperature and cook til done.
I like to sautee onions and mushrooms in the pan and serve with freedom fries and a bottle of red wine.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.