Author Topic: Great White Hunter  (Read 2600 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Great White Hunter
« on: November 29, 2006, 04:56:40 AM »
This morning I slayed the third mouse in 48 hours.  The first two succumbed to some new fangled mouse traps, the last one to a glue trap.  My landlord brought out this fancy electric trap.....little bastards ate the peanut butter right out of it!
These are the traps I bought
http://right-tool.stores.yahoo.net/vim1qumotr.html

Amazingly easy to set and handle.  I've only had the bait snatched from one....but that little cuss got greedy and walked into a glue trap  grin
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Art Eatman

• friend
Re: Great White Hunter
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 05:11:35 AM »
I've had great success with using an empty and cleaned-out 5-gallon plastic hydraulic-oil bucket, and a few seed grains.  Set it alongside a wall, indoors or out.  They jump in--once.  Didja know?  Mousies can't swim very long...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 05:15:27 AM »
I've had great success with using an empty and cleaned-out 5-gallon plastic hydraulic-oil bucket, and a few seed grains.  Set it alongside a wall, indoors or out.  They jump in--once.  Didja know?  Mousies can't swim very long...

Art

I've got a one year old.....no buckets lying around here.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 04:49:24 AM »
Scored number 4 this morning
 angry
Those spring traps work like a champ.  No touch, quick set without the risk of snapping a finger....
 grin
I bullied the landlord into callin someone....they sent out Orkin.  All the guy did was inspect and put a bunch of glue strips here and there.....I could have done that  rolleyes
JD

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 07:22:55 AM »
Scored number 4 this morning
 :mad:
Those spring traps work like a champ.  No touch, quick set without the risk of snapping a finger....
 =D
I bullied the landlord into callin someone....they sent out Orkin.  All the guy did was inspect and put a bunch of glue strips here and there.....I could have done that  ;/

Examine the floor level perimeter of the house for entry points and pack them firmly with coarse steel wool.  The little devils will try chewing through that once; after slicing up their gums, they'll move on to an easier target.
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

onions!

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 08:36:52 AM »
Glue traps. laugh
I'm reminded of the time I came home & found my Chow Chow had three of them stuck to her.
One sad looking dog.
 grin

Chuck Dye

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 08:50:52 AM »
HA!  Great white hunter indeed!  Around here, those that survive the bait program face the S&W Model 63 and Aguila Colibri or Super Colibri ammo.   grin grin grin

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 11:10:00 AM »
With mice, I don't bother baiting traps.  It is easier to just set them where you see the mice run, because they always stick to the same path.  They don't seem to be able to figure out what is happening to their buddies, unlike rats, so you can just keep putting the trap back in the same spot over and over again.

I once had a problem with mice eating a bowl we always left with dog food for my dog.  The mice had to climb on the base of a piece of furniture to get over the bowl's rim.  What I did was move the bowl about an inch away from the furniture base, then use a mouse trap as the only bridge across.  Got quite a few that way.

Rats are much smarter.  Your traps will only work the first night, or maybe a little bit on the second, as the rats will quickly learn to stay away from them, so you can't just use the same trap over and over, you have to buy a whole bunch and set them all at once.  After that, you will have to put the traps away until you get a new generation.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 11:17:42 AM »
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 03:46:55 PM »
It is easier to just set them where you see the mice run
IIRC, rodent urine can be visualized with a black light.  I know it works for cat urine and vomit, urine is blueish, puke is greenish.  I think rodent urine glows yellowish.  Before you try this though, if you have pets/kids, be sure the neat freak Sig. Other is out of the house.  One look at the average rug/carpet/furnature under UV light and you'll be refurnishing the house from top to bottom.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 04:06:15 PM »
It is easier to just set them where you see the mice run
IIRC, rodent urine can be visualized with a black light.  I know it works for cat urine and vomit, urine is blueish, puke is greenish.  I think rodent urine glows yellowish.  Before you try this though, if you have pets/kids, be sure the neat freak Sig. Other is out of the house.  One look at the average rug/carpet/furnature under UV light and you'll be refurnishing the house from top to bottom.
Its a rental house....
JD

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 02:00:57 AM »
I'm sorry, my record is 36 mice in 1.5 hours, I am the TRUE great white hunter. I had seen a mousie or two, I was a bachelor, I thought they were cute. Then I found mouse droppings in the back of the expensive TV. Mousies no longer cute. Went to the True Value, picked up 5 regular old snap traps. Set them all with PB. I don't think I was finished setting the third one when the first one went off. It continued like that for said 1.5 hours. I never even had a chance to sit down I was clearing and resetting traps so often. Apparently I got em all the first day cause the traps stopped going off after that.

Then there was the time I was blindly reaching behind the old trashed out A/C in a store down on Broadway NYC and I felt something foreign, picked it up and pulled it out into the light. It was the biggest rat trap I have ever seen and it was still set.  shocked

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 03:46:47 AM »
yip!

It's mouse invasion of the garage season.

My traps are set but so far i have been un blessed this season.

Last year i set one out and the following morning there was a strange looking mouse in the trap.

on further inspection, mr. mouse was half eaten
 shocked

I reset the trap and 4 hours later i trapped a vole.

I never knew voles would move in.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 08:06:25 AM »
Last year i set one out and the following morning there was a strange looking mouse in the trap.

on further inspection, mr. mouse was half eaten
Mouse conversation...

"Darn shame about Fred, wandering into that trap like that. But he never did have much sense.  Oh well, I'm hungry.  Lets tuck into Fred, he's fresh."

I've seen that as well.  And not just with mice.

I reset the trap and 4 hours later i trapped a vole.

I never knew voles would move in.

I do hope it was not a Cardassian vole.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 08:11:14 AM »
I'm sorry, my record is 36 mice in 1.5 hours, I am the TRUE great white hunter. I had seen a mousie or two, I was a bachelor, I thought they were cute.
You know they tend to get into your food, right?  I'm sure you could spare some, but having them track all about your countertops and pantries is not that great an idea, either. 

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 08:52:03 AM »

I do hope it was not a Cardassian vole.

Geek!  Geek!  Geek!
JD

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 09:07:50 AM »
Geek!  Geek!  Geek!

jamisjockey, the term you're looking for is "nerd"

Nerd - an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit

Opps, gotta run.  DS-9 is on Spike! : neener :

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 09:26:32 AM »
Just for fun, I should like to add that my father once shot a mouse that was hiding under the instep of a boot on the other side of the room.  Why my sensible and practical father was shooting the Daisy inside his own house, I can't explain, but the mouse was eliminated.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 10:01:41 AM »
I'm sorry, my record is 36 mice in 1.5 hours, I am the TRUE great white hunter. I had seen a mousie or two, I was a bachelor, I thought they were cute.
You know they tend to get into your food, right?  I'm sure you could spare some, but having them track all about your countertops and pantries is not that great an idea, either. 
You know, I don't recall keeping that much food there. Me and my littlest brother were actually living in a hangar at the local airport at the time. We had 6000 sq ft and turned the offices into sleeping quarters. The rest was dedicated to hobbyists such as ourselves and their various wheeled toys. Them's was some wild times.  grin

Too bad the usual one or two that wreck it for everybody else got involved.  sad

If you recall George Carlin used to have a bit "The Hippy Dippy Weatherman" where he said, "It's 49 at the airport but we don't care because nobody lives at the airport!"  Not necessarily true.  laugh

crt360

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 06:47:22 PM »
What happens if the peanut butter disappears from the trap without the trap being tripped?  Do I have a sneaky cartoon mouse?
For entertainment purposes only.

LandShark

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 07:00:59 PM »
You have to watch yourself with the glue traps. My friend woke up after setting a bunch of traps, to a mouse leg stuck to one of them. That wouldn't be so bad, except about a week later, the whole house stank like rotting mouse. Little bugger crawled into the wall and died.
Cheers,
Sam

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 07:06:39 PM »
What happens if the peanut butter disappears from the trap without the trap being tripped?  Do I have a sneaky cartoon mouse?

I had one rob the PB out of a trap, but I found him in a glue trap about 5' away....
 grin
JD

280plus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 01:38:32 AM »
If the PB is gone without tripping the trap I'd say we're dealing with Mighty Mouse.  laugh