Author Topic: money in spare time on the itnernet  (Read 985 times)

Target Farget

money in spare time on the itnernet
« on: December 03, 2006, 08:17:56 AM »
i have heard of people doing things like ebay, filling out surveys... and doing things like data entry.

does anyone have any more info or something that they did?... im interested. what works?

Chuck Dye

Caveat emptor!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 08:28:44 AM »
I suspect that what works best is sucking in the rubes who are willing to pay up front for "supplies" and "training" and "resources."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: money in spare time on the itnernet
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 08:52:58 AM »
buying box lots and selling things on ebay keeps a few folkes employed full time

the shipping aspect is a time sink

I have heard tales of 5 dollar boxes yielding several hundred dollars in sales
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 09:13:04 AM »
Get into some niches... Or just get into ANYTHING. For instance, I picked up a box of 500 capacitors at an auction for $35. They go for $0.85 each singly. So pack a dozen per envelope, charge $5 + $3 shipping, and you turn a profit.

Blog under construction

Target Farget

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 03:32:27 PM »
i have a freind who opened a tshirt store on cafepress and makes ammo money every month,

that sounds good to me!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 06:28:33 PM »
I have made maybe $100 over the course of 5 years doing surveys.

I have made a couple thousand creating websites.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 01:14:33 AM »
Yes, I used to buy box lots a lot and made quite a bit more than I paid for them. The shipping aspect is definitely the downside. Sucks up a lot of time. I also found a niche, like Bogie said, knitting magazines are hot. I'd buy a box of them for ~$5, put them in lots of 5 and they'd usually go for about ~$5 per lot. Easy to pack and ship and they're non breakable. I lost interest in EBAY when they turned from a fun get together place for collectors into a bunch of "Powersellers" trying to make a buck. Shipping costs went up too which reduced the profit margins.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 02:40:55 AM »
My wife scours local auctions for EBay stuff....sold an old vase for $275 last year, vase came in a box with something else that we wanted for ourselves.  Old sets of china sell really well by the piece.

She does pretty well, has an EBay Store now.  She refuses to tell me how much is in her Pay Pal account.  She's selling-off her Mom's huge collection of antique oil lamps and hand made quilts.  She still turns out a quilt a month at 83 yrs of age!

Buyers pay actual shipping...she might charge something extra if the item requires a lot of packing, like an oil lamp or dishes.

BTW, we declare profits at the end of the yr on our 1040 since we have an S-corp for our trucking biz.  You can scoff at that or do as you wish, but I'm pretty heavily oriented toward maintaining my freedom and assets.  The IRS has all of the cards in the deck stacked in their favor, I have no interest in taking a seat across the table from them.  YMMV.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 02:59:10 AM »
Yup, I used to declare my profits too. That way I could write off my purchases.
Avoid cliches like the plague!