Author Topic: Hog hunting with an airgun?  (Read 2377 times)

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Hog hunting with an airgun?
« on: December 04, 2006, 06:14:52 PM »
I ran upon this video the other day on a blog. It links back to GAMO's website. GAMO makes a decent air rifle; the one used here throws a .177 pellet at 1600 FPS (!!!)

http://www.gamousa.com/Videos/62_mov.htm

As for myself, I haven't used an air rifle on anything larger than squirrels and rabbits.

I'd be hoping for someone backing me up with a .44 carbine, to be quite honest.

Enjoy.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Cosmoline

• friend
Re: Hog hunting with an airgun?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 06:58:13 PM »
No way would I trust a .117 pellet.  For hog hunting you should go back to something like the .30 caliber airgun Lewis used to take big game.  I wonder why they don't make medium bore air rifles.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 08:10:59 PM »
Its great fun until you have a pissed off hog charging you after you irritate it with an air rifle.  laugh

I'm actually amazed that it dropped the hog so fast. We used to butcher a hog every year at a friends farm, we would put the hog down by shooting it point balnk in the forehead with a .22 pistol. It didn't always kill them instantly- they would often times go nuts and slam themselves into things around them- you had to be quick on your feet.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 10:40:26 PM »
I've heard of one hog, caught in a hogtrap, that took 5 .41mag hits to the head and neck from near contact distance before it quit the struggle.

http://www.pyramidair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=771

Somebody wanted info on bigbore airguns?  How about a .50 in a production airgun?

Regards,
Rabbit.

Albert Einstein

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 01:16:37 AM »
for some reason I can't see the vid.
But I would think that a bowie knife would be better then a .177 pellet.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 03:52:05 AM »
There are some nice Korean air rifles in 9mm and larger

heres a 500fps, 200 grain, 50 caliber air rifle:
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=772
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 05:07:58 AM »
I wonder why they don't make medium bore air rifles.
They do, but they're as expensive, if not moreso, than medium bore centerfire rifles.  They tend to be custom guns.  I can't remember the guy's name, but there's a custom airgun builder out there that makes airguns up to 50cal and has used them to take buffalo.  The Korean guns Harold Tuttle mentions are nice too.

My biggest beef with the larger caliber airguns is that you need to shoot them at regular firearms ranges with firearms backstops.  They cost about as much as a firearm and are nearly as loud.  What's the point unless you're just an airgun fan?

Just saw Rabbit's post, that's a new gun to me.  When I was "into" airguns, it wasn't around, at least in the US...

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 05:32:37 AM »
I have a beef with airguns, specifically the higher-end, higher-power models.

For some reason, manufacturers (& presumably buyers) feel the need to hang huge amounts of bulging, heavy wood all over them until they look like a distended & bloated example of Roy Weatherby's worst efforts. 

The above link is a case in point.  It looks like a sack of tumors.

Maybe the buyers feel they need something heavy & substantial after laying out enough $$$ to purchase a real firearm and only slinging a .177"-.22" pellet at sub 1000fps velocities.

FWIW, way back in the day I bought a Beeman R1, my first/last serious air gun.  What a chunkster.  It comes to the shoulder like a canoe paddle.

What I'd like is a HANDY, powerful air rifle.  Quiet would be nice, too.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 05:42:14 AM »
What I'd like is a HANDY, powerful air rifle.  Quiet would be nice, too
The BSA Supersport .22 I used to own was styled like a standard rifle and was fairly powerful.  It was tackdriver accurate and had a very nice adjustable trigger.  It was a springer, so you needed an airgun specific scope or a high end centerfire scope, not a cheap 22lr model.  Price when I bought it in 1999 was $170ish, I'm sure they're more these days if you can even find one (I think the only importer went out of business).  It was quiet enough to shoot in my basement without bugging my wife upstairs, but not so quiet that I could shoot it in my towhhome's backyard.

Since airguns over a certain power limit require a firearms certificate in GB, they have two models.  Being a resident of the US, I had the FAC version: http://www.bsaguns.co.uk/?ID=53&ProductID=579

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 05:45:25 AM »
BTW, you might want to take a grain of salt with Gamo's velocity numbers.  A few years ago, it was fairly well known that they achieved their numbers with lighter than normal pellets.  Using commonly available pellets resulted in lower numbers.  Just something to think about when looking at their numbers compared to other companies...

Chris

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 06:06:06 AM »
Yeah, they're using some super pellet to get those velocity figures. The disclaimer states 1250 FPS with a lead pellet.

As far as asthetics, I still like my 20+ year old RWS 45.

Love the analogy, JF.

Regards,
Rabbit.
Albert Einstein

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 08:58:06 AM »
what i would like to see would be a modern "re" creation of a CNC, Carbon fiber tanked Lewis & Clark air rifle

http://www.beemans.net/lewis%20assault%20rifle.htm
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"