Author Topic: Why do we work?  (Read 10192 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Why do we work?
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2009, 05:15:17 PM »
You said Federally-backed loans, MB the Obtuse.

BTW, no children here at Casa de' G-98.

It's not my problem. 

I'm thinking Mtnbkr's Abby may be of college age by then, though.

Were she lucky enough to get you for a professor...  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »
But &@^# does indeed happen, and that's how it goes...

Which attitude is one reason of many why it will continue to happen...

Some things can be changed
Some things cannot

We just need to be able to figure out the difference and act accordingly.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2009, 05:27:41 PM »
You said Federally-backed loans, MB the Obtuse.

Backed. Guaranteed. Not issued.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2009, 05:32:38 PM »
Well, you'd better pray you don't default on yours, then. ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2009, 05:38:40 PM »
Well, you'd better pray you don't default on yours, then. ;)

Oh, I'm still hoping I won't need one. I'm still talking to them about work-study programs and stuff like that.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2009, 05:46:52 PM »
Good question.

I work to make my life better.

If, at some point, there becomes little correlation between how hard I work and the quality of my life, then I'll probably stop doing so.

I'm in the same boat.  I work pretty hard, I keep no debt other than a car loan (and whatever adds up on the credit card before I pay it off at the end of the month), I save what I can, I invest, I also kick into my 401K.  Why?  I want to own a house, live a comfy life and not have to worry about being able to keep food on the table.  I don't really consider the "self worth" aspect of having a job, because that's just what you do.  You're either working, or learning how to work better.

I really can't imagine living just for today, with no job, career or goal.  Living on the dole, for an extremely extended period voluntarily, is just something I couldn't do.  You might be surviving, but you're not moving forward.  What's the point to life if you're just doing...  nothing?

I never really considered not working hard, because...  Well, that's just what you do.  I suppose I might be in for a very rude surprise some day if I look up and see what I'm not getting a decent return on hard work.  If I was being taxed at some insane rate (say, 80% or 90% total), I'd stop.  I'd work enough to live and barter for my wants.  I'm a slave to no one, nor will I ever accept slavery.  I'm not trying to make some dramatic gesture, I just don't see the logical point in it. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2009, 08:14:31 PM »
Backed. Guaranteed. Not issued.
How much does it cost to back/guarantee a loan?  (Hint: the answer isn't zero)

I don't know about your particular financial situation, but I do know that most college students receive free government money in one form or another.  One of the reason that college costs are rising is that lots of government money is flowing in. 

grampster

• friend
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2009, 08:14:17 PM »
I'm currently unemployed, so I'm not taxed (I'm a junior in HS ergo I depend on my father for necessitites). But I do work hard in school so I can hopefully make it into college. I want to work hard so I can have all the things my father (a CO) doesn't have now. I want to be able to afford a snowblower, house repairs, a truck, and some nice things by the time I'm 57. Money can not buy happiness, but I bet it can come close.

Wait a minute.  Don't you know you're being greedy.  Obama and his crew will likely send out neighborhood organizers to picket your house because you are seeking to better yourself when you should be willing to share the pain and give up a goodly portion for those who are lazy and dependent unable to rise up.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw