Author Topic: “In the name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress!”  (Read 10192 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
I thought the discerning audience of the Armed, Polite Society would appreciate these. I took them yesterday while flying over the Champlain Valley in a 172.

Lake George, west of Champlain

The aircraft

yours truly

I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Nice pics. Are you a pilot?

Been a while since I've been flying...need to get back to it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
Nope, I don't fly. I was just taking pictures and getting airsick.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Nope, I don't fly. I was just taking pictures and getting airsick.

Hehe. Both of my sisters got sick on their respective first flights when I took them up.

Some people can get used to it, others can't. I get seasick, but not airsick or carsick.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 11:20:21 AM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
I took them yesterday while flying over the Champlain Valley in a 172.

You're obviously a terrorist.

Don't worry... you were noticed by DHS and will soon have an opportunity to visit the Colorado SuperMax, without bothering with any of that pesky "rights" or "trial" stuff.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

geronimotwo

• friend
is this fort ticonderoga? i know it is somewhere up there, but haven't been to see it. either that or there is another waco about to happen.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Love me some star forts.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
How much they want for it?  In this economy, it must be cheap.

I'll chip in to buy it and turn it into Ft APS.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
is this fort ticonderoga? i know it is somewhere up there, but haven't been to see it. either that or there is another waco about to happen.

Yeah somehow that didn't make it into the post. That is Fort Ticonderoga, situated on the West (New York) side of Lake Champlain.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Note that it was aircraft as small and simple (or more so) as that Cessna that turned the Vauban star design into so much history.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
I seem to remember the area being much more built up than that during my visit. I'm probably getting some things mixed up. I was around ten when my family went on a tour there.

freedom lover

• "Who is the Coon?"
Graves, who are you quoting and what's the context? I may have heard it before.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
Graves, who are you quoting and what's the context? I may have heard it before.

Ethan Allen as he took the pictured Fort.

Here's a tip.

Just type or cut and paste a quote or a significant part of a quote you want the source of into google; most of the time you'll get your answer.

google is a great search engine, folks should use it more.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MechAg94

• friend
Note that it was aircraft as small and simple (or more so) as that Cessna that turned the Vauban star design into so much history.
Wouldn't you say advances in artillery had an impact also? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
In my old job, I got ride alongs with all sorts of people.  Made friends with a Matamoros, Mex. Cop while working in KBRO (damn good friend to have "just in case").  He was a licensed US pilot to boot.  Wifey McMoneybags had the hots for him to boot, so I talked her into going up for a flight along the beach in the 172 he rented.  He let me fly for a bit, he had to correct my rate of climb or descent....when I was supposed to be flying level  :laugh:....He looks over his shoulder and informs me that my wife, riding in back, is turning green.  Apparantly the yo-yo climbs and decents were'nt doing her any favors.  She has never been up in another small airplane since....  :lol:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• friend

You are very punny!

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"

The French didn't get that memo until 1939.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
The French didn't get that memo until 1939.

But in a brilliant stroke of luck that would prove most useful in the coming months the memo was printed on white paper.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend

Yes, but they had howitzers and indirect fire when Vauban was laying out his fortresses.

Overhead spotting to allow precision targeting, precision dive bombing and vertical envelopment are arguably more important than sheer weight of metal however delivered.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
 Fort Ti is haunted.
As a Boyscout I was on a camping trip there, late at night I was looking out my tent
When about 15/20 yards away what looked like a rev war era militia member with an odd short barreled shotgun or rifle
( blunderbuss? ) he wasn't "real" he looked like he had been drawn with a very fine white neon  pen, and you could see right through him.
The odd thing is, I wasn't really scared, I was shocked. He didn't seem to see our campsite at all but was careful not to bump into trees as he stalked by, gun at the ready...very interesting.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
Yes, but they had howitzers and indirect fire when Vauban was laying out his fortresses.

Overhead spotting to allow precision targeting, precision dive bombing and vertical envelopment are arguably more important than sheer weight of metal however delivered.
I was thinking in terms of high explosive shells, rifled guns, and much longer ranged guns.  Recoil absorbing systems also that allowed much higher rates of accurate fire.  I'm no fortifications expert though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• friend
I was thinking in terms of high explosive shells, rifled guns, and much longer ranged guns.  Recoil absorbing systems also that allowed much higher rates of accurate fire.  I'm no fortifications expert though.

Some of the old-school mortars they used were freakishly large & could toss a really large shell on top of the fort:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri-Joseph_Paixhans

In 1823, he invented the first shell guns, which came to be called Paixhans guns (or "canon-obusiers" in the French Navy). Paixhans guns became the first naval guns to combine explosive shells and a flat trajectory, thereby triggering the demise of wooden ships, and the iron hull revolution in boat building. Paixhans also invented a "Mortier monstre" ("Monster Mortar"), using 500 kg bombs, which was used to terrible effect in the Siege of Antwerp in 1832. He was also a naval theorist claiming that a few aggressively armed small units could destroy the largest naval units of the time, making him a precursor of the French "Jeune École" school of thought.

The poet Victor Hugo wrote:

"Terre! l'obus est Dieu, Paixhans est son prophète."
    ("Earth! the shell is God, Paixhans is his Prophet.")

Even that beast did not spell the end of fortresses. 

On another note, we give the Froggies a hard time, military-wise, but they sure did develop some of the key .mil technology over the years.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
I seem to remember the area being much more built up than that during my visit. I'm probably getting some things mixed up. I was around ten when my family went on a tour there.

Flew back over it again to day while my buddy was doing practice landings and takeoffs at the Fort Ti airport (the term is generous). You are correct, the town is very close to the Fort. Just outside of my picture frame, in fact.

freedom lover

• "Who is the Coon?"
Fort Ti is haunted.
As a Boyscout I was on a camping trip there, late at night I was looking out my tent
When about 15/20 yards away what looked like a rev war era militia member with an odd short barreled shotgun or rifle
( blunderbuss? ) he wasn't "real" he looked like he had been drawn with a very fine white neon  pen, and you could see right through him.
The odd thing is, I wasn't really scared, I was shocked. He didn't seem to see our campsite at all but was careful not to bump into trees as he stalked by, gun at the ready...very interesting.

No offense, but if you don't take that post back alot of people will think you're   insane. I can think of a few logical explanations, though.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
No offense, but if you don't take that post back alot of people will think you're   insane. I can think of a few logical explanations, though.

I can see you have never experienced a haunting, freedom lover.  I, for one, have no trouble believing gunsmith's account.  That comes from having owned a home in Colorado Springs where...interesting...things happened from time to time.
The world can be an unusual place, as you will find out as you grow older.

Whoa!  Thread veer...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:34:37 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.