Author Topic: “In the name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress!”  (Read 10191 times)

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
Getting back on topic..........

Here's an pretty interesting article about Ethan Allen and fort ticonderoga.

http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/1963/6/1963_6_65.shtml
The limerick, peculiar to English,
Is a verse form that's hard to extinguish,
Once congress, in session,
Decreed it's suppression,
But people got around it by writing the last line without any rhyme or meter.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
No offense, but if you don't take that post back alot of people will think you're   insane. I can think of a few logical explanations, though.

I don't think he's insane. People see stuff in old buildings all the time. Sometimes it can be explained, sometimes not.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
I already had him pegged as a nutter.

What's a little haint sighting on top of voluntarily hanging out here?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MechAg94

• friend
In additional to strange things, you also have to admit the mind is big on pattern recognition.  Sometimes it sees patterns that aren't there.  I am not saying that is what happened.  I wasn't there.

..............you should lay off the weed though.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
Some of the old-school mortars they used were freakishly large & could toss a really large shell on top of the fort:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri-Joseph_Paixhans

Even that beast did not spell the end of fortresses. 

On another note, we give the Froggies a hard time, military-wise, but they sure did develop some of the key .mil technology over the years.
I agree it didn't spell the end of fortresses, but I was thinking the star pattern design originated much earlier than that and was mostly a reaction to direct fire artillery using solid shot which tore down stone walls easily. 

I guess the development of reinforced concrete was what really changed things.  :)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: “In the name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress!”
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 08:13:23 PM »
No offense, but if you don't take that post back alot of people will think you're   insane. I can think of a few logical explanations, though.

That would be "a lot" not "alot".
One of the great benefits of being 30 plus years away from the high school experience is not giving a rats buttocks about what people think.
Adults who worry about what people think and tailor their beliefs, actions, and words on what they ( often erroneously ) think others think, are idiots.

Interestingly, I happened to do a google search on Haunted Fort Ticonderoga, (while formulating a reply) it seems as if I am not alone!
Lots of people feel Fort Ti is haunted too!

I was amazed to find this out, very interesting.
http://books.google.com/books?id=OxuiLy0FhuoC&pg=PA221&lpg=PA221&dq=hauntings+at+Fort+Ticonderoga&source=bl&ots=N_NJITeCac&sig=EoM65zZhKZdN9ZX_HVSrZAfOWLo&hl=en&ei=fK8MSunRF5OMtgOJiM2JAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2

I was totally unaware of this before I went camping there!

Woah! Robert Louis Stevenson wrote a poem about the ghost of Fort Ti!!

I have to thank you for suggesting I was insane freedom lover!
I just spent an hour researching ghost and fort ti, amazing! =D :cool:

( edited to add )
Dear old mother was a D.A.R back in the 50's, besides the typical people who were alive back then (the revolution, not the 50's) and who won our glorious revolution
I am also related to Aaron Burr, perhaps it was a descendant of mine coming for a visit,  who knows?
We can prove we have gravity, proving matters of beliefs and religion and supernatural are a lot more difficult.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:09:28 PM by gunsmith »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
When it comes to the good opinion of others, I am practical.

I do not seek to alienate and often work to cultivate others for more or less altruistic reasons.

But, if you put a gun to my head and said, "Tell me what you really think of others opinions' of your self!" I'd shrug and say, "Not much."

I am reminded of a line written years ago on THR:
"External validation is for suckers and chubby teenage girls."
----junyo at thehighroad.org
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
When it comes to the good opinion of others, I am practical.

I do not seek to alienate and often work to cultivate others for more or less altruistic reasons.

But, if you put a gun to my head and said, "Tell me what you really think of others opinions' of your self!" I'd shrug and say, "Not much."

I am reminded of a line written years ago on THR:
"External validation is for suckers and chubby teenage girls."
----junyo at thehighroad.org

LOL

Also, are you ok gunsmith? Has someone taken over your account? The writing style is totally different than usual in that last post.....
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
thanks, everything is OK, well besides being unemployed,broke,depressed,and the other usual stuff...everything is great! :cool:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Antibubba

• friend
Thread drift!
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2009, 01:44:33 AM »
No offense, but if you don't take that post back alot of people will think you're insane. I can think of a few logical explanations, though.

Of course you can think of logical explanations.  In fact, you have to, or else you must accept that what you saw was something that logic cannot explain.  And that would be illogical.

Except that logic can't explain everything.  I've seen and felt things for which there is no logical explanation.  Walk a blind man into Auschwitz and he will feel something which logic says isn't there.  A friend and I both saw the same thing, and had the same description of it, and it could not possibly have been there, or anywhere, that I know of.

You can have your thread back now.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.