Author Topic: I'm speachless. You're thoughts?  (Read 10166 times)

Jim147

• friends
I'm speachless. You're thoughts?
« on: November 19, 2009, 11:39:52 PM »
10-year-old is tasered by officer in Arkansas
Police report calls it 'very, very brief' stun to get her into patrol car

updated 11:12 a.m. CT, Wed., Nov . 18, 2009
OZARK, Ark. - Ozark Police Chief Jim Noggle says one of his officers used a Taser on a 10-year-old girl who was combative when the officer tried to get the girl into a patrol car to be taken to a youth shelter.

Noggle said Tuesday that officer Dustin Bradshaw went to the girl's home after her mother called police woman called police.dshaw on Thursday, the officer found the girl on the floor of the house screaming and crying. She refused to follow her mother's instructions and the mother told Bradshaw to use his Taser.

Story continues below ↓
advertisement | your ad here

Bradshaw carried the girl to the living roomand told her she was going to jail, according to the report. The girl was violently kicking, the report said, and struck Bradshaw in the groin with her legs and feet.

The report said Bradshaw administered a "very, very brief" stun with the Taser, put the girl in handcuffs and carried her to his patrol car. She was taken to the Western Arkansas Youth Shelter in Cecil.

According to a report filed by Bra

I don't know who to beat worse the mother or the cop.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: I'm speachless. You're thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 11:48:41 PM »
Wow. A mom calls the cops on her 10-year-old daughter. The cops actually come out. When the cop on scene hears the facts of the case, he actually comes in.
I wouldn't've come in, myself. Your daughter's lack of desire for sleep is not a police matter.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 11:50:37 PM »
The Taser is the only twist.  It's not that uncommon for parents to call the cops when they can't handle their kids. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 11:52:26 PM »
It's not that uncommon for parents to call the cops when they can't handle their kids. 

Which is the truly disturbing thing about this story.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KPT

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 12:13:48 AM »
The word you were looking for is your.

But yeah, I'm amazed anyone has faith in the police anymore.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 12:17:52 AM »
So, what are the chances this child will grow up with a health attitude towards law enforcement now?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Chrissy

• MySpace page
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 06:45:10 AM »
So much is wrong here.  Obviously if a mother needs to call the cops on her 10-year old girl, the child has serious issues - whether the mother hasn't been doing her job, the girl has mental problems, or some other unknown issue is going on.  That's what stinks about reading articles like this, you're more than likely just getting part of the story.  I doubt all details have been given to make a fair judgement here.  But if the child is violently kicking the officers in the groin, sorry, but I'd use a taser too.  I don't care how old she is.  If she's just being an ass, then maybe that's exactly what she needed to learn that she can't just act any way she wants whenever she wants and she needs to respect people in authority.  Again, if she has mental problems, that's a different story.  Either way, she obviously has major issues and will probably grow up to be very familiar with the cops in whatever area she lives in.  =|   

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 07:54:10 AM »
I'd have tazed the mother.

No, I'm not serious, or am I?
One day at a time.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 08:11:02 AM »
Unless there's some medical issue here, it sounds like the 10 year old girl was seriously in need of a long-overdue spanking.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 08:41:35 AM »
I'm speachless. You're thoughts?

A dictionary can help.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 09:26:07 AM »
she needed to learn that she can't just act any way she wants whenever she wants and she needs to respect people in authori -tay

There we go, much better.  =D

But yah... there is this really twisted but popular view of the sanctity of the body that forbids the laying on hands.  For some reason, tazers are viewed in a far more favorable light than a hand or a baton.  Perception > Reality.
No matter how warped. P > R
It will only continue to get worse.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 09:32:18 AM »
10 year old was obviously in need of a much overdue good old fashioned spanking. Probably would have prevented the wole mess.
Of course on the the other hand. If mom had spanked the little darling it is a simple matter for the little princess to make a call to DHS/CPS and punish mom for such brutish behaviour by sending her to jail for child abuse.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 10:29:17 AM »
It's not that uncommon for parents to call the cops when they can't handle their kids. 

Can you blame them, when many parents are rightfully afraid that 'beating' their children will get them locked behind bars? Same thing in schools. When children act up, the teachers have no choice but to call the police, since they are not allowed to do anything else to discipline the students.

Pretty much the only reason I would EVER call the police in any situation, it's because taking the situation into my own hands would be illegal.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 10:35:47 AM »
Yeah, a parent can escalate a conflict until she proves to the kid that the parent controls the ultimate escalation.

The ultimate escalation might be hitting the kid or calling the cops or having the kid tased.

Alternatively, the parent could grow up and stop letting the kid play games of escalating drama.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 10:43:53 AM »
Can you blame them, when many parents are rightfully afraid that 'beating' their children will get them locked behind bars? Same thing in schools. When children act up, the teachers have no choice but to call the police, since they are not allowed to do anything else to discipline the students.

Pretty much the only reason I would EVER call the police in any situation, it's because taking the situation into my own hands would be illegal.

I think this is often the case.

1) Many "experts" have convinced parents that physical discipline is ALWAYS inappropriate and harmful.

2) Many states have made any physcial disicpline subject to possible prosecution.

As a result, parents are often either unwilling, afraid or, even, unable to discipline their children.

If we don't want parents getting the police involved in family matters (*that are better handled by the parents), perhaps we should stop sending police into family matters (*that are better handled by the parents).

I do not know if it is justified, but many parents are very afraid that someone may call the police and child protective services if this random stranger decides their punishment is too harsh. Having that level of regulation of family decisions will necessarily lead to stupid situations like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_I_and_type_II_errors

While preventing abuse is a noble goal, our society has developed an aversion to Type 2 errors. As a result, we see far too many Type 1 errors, leading to an oversensitivity towards punishment. (i.e. we want to be absolutely sure that abuse is not happening, so we create problems for families where no abuse is happening JUST TO BE SURE no abuse it happening.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 10:45:21 AM »
Just how common is this 'parents calling police on children' thing?

Is it one case in a thousand families in a year? One in a million?

I don't think it's likely to be such a common problem.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 11:41:08 AM »
Unless there's some medical issue here, it sounds like the 10 year old girl was seriously in need of a long-overdue spanking.

That is undoubtedly correct ... except that in today's liberal society, spanking is now considered "child abuse." And then the bleeding hearts wonder why kids grow up to be delinquents ...

If it's okay for a police officer to taze an unruly kid, maybe the moral of this story is that parents should all turn in their belts and hair brushes (I was paddled with both, and I survived with no scars) and be issued tasers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 11:51:03 AM »
And then the bleeding hearts wonder why kids grow up to be delinquents ...

How does this have anything to do with spanking? Crime (especially murder and other serious crimes) are lower today than in the age where spanking was common.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 12:19:59 PM »
How does this have anything to do with spanking? Crime (especially murder and other serious crimes) are lower today than in the age where spanking was common.

Hey, don't bring up facts!

I am not sure I can imagine a situation where I would *need* a taser to control an unarmed ten year old girl (and you are only supposed to use them if you *need* them, right?).  That officer is going to get a lot of crap in the locker room.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 12:58:17 PM »

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/tables/totalstab.htm

Huh?

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 01:13:22 PM »
But yah... there is this really twisted but popular view of the sanctity of the body that forbids the laying on hands.  For some reason, tazers are viewed in a far more favorable light than a hand or a baton. 

Agreed.  Parents shouldn't be discouraged from spanking their children. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »

Only if you choose, say, the mid 1970s as your "age when spanking was common."

I think I'll chose the year 1946, the year to watch.  It was the year Dr. Spock came out with "Baby and Child Care."  It was a smash best-seller.  And as the objects of Dr. Spock's no-spank technique came of voting age, you can see above, the crime rate went nuts.

TBH, I think the "Dr. Spock casued the crime wave" argument as weak as the "Crime (especially murder and other serious crimes) are lower today than in the age where spanking was common."

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 01:29:08 PM »
Any police officer who uses a taser on anyone other than a combative person who is crazy, drugged, drunk or combination of the aforementioned , especially one who is not yet in high school or is collecting social security ought to get another job.

If the police officer is not able to determine rather rapidly whether a person is crazy, drunk, drugged, or combination of the aforementioned should also seek other employment.  A police officers peace shall not be distrurbed and it is his function to halt any disturbance.

Political correctness has allowed people to become police officers that shouldn't be.  Cops should be a minimum of 6'0" tall and weigh at least 190 lbs.  The bigger the better.  Size matters in police work.  I know.  I did the work.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 01:29:40 PM »
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/tables/totalstab.htm

Huh?

Thank you for demonstrating a rate of homicide lower than at any time in the last 40 years. However, I am uncertain how this is proof of anything. To date, no US state has actually banned this practice. The anti-corporal-punishment movement had not even gotten going in Europe until in the 1970's. All of the European countries where corporal punishment in the home is illegal are now exceedingly safe in terms of violent crime.

P.S. Spanking has not gone away in the US. Up to 50% of US parents believe it to be a proper form of discipline.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 01:43:10 PM »

Thank you for demonstrating a rate of homicide lower than at any time in the last 40 years. However, I am uncertain how this is proof of anything. To date, no US state has actually banned this practice. The anti-corporal-punishment movement had not even gotten going in Europe until in the 1970's. All of the European countries where corporal punishment in the home is illegal are now exceedingly safe in terms of violent crime.

P.S. Spanking has not gone away in the US. Up to 50% of US parents believe it to be a proper form of discipline.

Huh.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/spankin2.htm

Current status in Europe:

Seventeen states ban corporal punishment of children both in the home, school, and elsewhere:  Sweden (1979), Finland (1983), Norway (1987), Austria (1989), Cyprus (1994), Italy (1996), Denmark (1997), Latvia (1998), Croatia (1999), 
 Bulgaria and Germany (2000), 
 Romania and Ukraine (2004), 
 Hungary (2005), 
 Greece, Netherlands, and Portugal (2007). 4

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/rwinslow/europe/sweden.html

INCIDENCE OF CRIME

The crime rate in Sweden is high compared to other industrialized countries. An analysis was done using INTERPOL data for Sweden. For purpose of comparison, data were drawn for the seven offenses used to compute the United States FBI's index of crime. Index offenses include murder, forcible rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny, and motor vehicle theft. The combined total of these offenses constitutes the Index used for trend calculation purposes. Sweden will be compared with Japan (country with a low crime rate) and USA (country with a high crime rate). According to the INTERPOL data, for murder, the rate in 2001 was 10.01 per 100,000 population for Sweden, 1.10 for Japan, and 5.61 for USA. For rape, the rate in 2001 was 23.39 for Sweden, compared with 1.78 for Japan and 31.77 for USA. For robbery, the rate in 2001 was 95.83 for Sweden, 4.08 for Japan, and 148.50 for USA. For aggravated assault, the rate in 2001 was 667.42 for Sweden, 23.78 for Japan, and 318.55 for USA. For burglary, the rate in 2001 was 1323.90 for Sweden, 233.60 for Japan, and 740.80 for USA. The rate of larceny for 2001 was 6988.81 for Sweden, 1401.26 for Japan, and 2484.64 for USA. The rate for motor vehicle theft in 2001 was 495.21 for Sweden, compared with 44.28 for Japan and 430.64 for USA. The rate for all index offenses combined was 9604.57 for Sweden, compared with 1709.88 for Japan and 4160.51 for USA. (Note that Japan data are for year 2000)

The data reported to INTERPOL make it appear that Sweden is perhaps the most crime ridden country in the world; however, these findings should be tempered by comparison with data reported to the United Nations. In the UN reports, murders are referred to as "intentional homicides." Aggravated assaults are referred to as "major assaults," and larcenies are referred to as "thefts." According to the United Nations Sixth Annual Survey on Crime, crime recorded in police statistics shows the crime rate for the combined total of all Index crimes in Sweden to be 6981.48, per 100,000 inhabitants in 1997. This compares with 1345.94 for Japan (country with a low crime rate) and 4930.06 for USA (country with high crime rate). For intentional homicides, the rate in 1997 was 1.77 for Sweden, 0.54 for Japan, and 6.80 for USA. For major assaults, the rate in 1997 was 37.93 for Sweden, compared with 20.91 for Japan, and 382.31 for USA. For rapes, the rate in 1997 was 14.71 for Sweden, 1.31 for Japan, and 35.93 for USA. For robberies, the rate in 1997 was 75.04 for Sweden, 2.23 for Japan, and 186.27 for USA. For automobile theft, the rate in 1997 was 890.75 for Sweden, 213.49 for Japan, and 505.99 for USA. The rate of burglaries for 1997 was 1664.41 for Sweden, 175.81 for Japan, and 919.35 for USA. The rate for thefts in 1997 was 4296.87 for Sweden, compared with 931.65 for Japan and 2893.41 for USA. It should be observed that the above data reveal that comparatively speaking, Sweden has a low crime rate in regard to murder and major assault, a medium crime rate in regard to rape and robbery, and an exceedingly high rate in regard to property crimes (burglary, larceny, and auto theft). The discrepancies between the data reported to the United Nations for 1997 and those reported to INTERPOL for 2001 are partly explained by Sweden’s peculiar method of reporting murder and assault. Murders reported to INTERPOL included both attempted and completed acts of murder, while "major assaults" included both simple and aggravated assaults. These statistical anomalies for Sweden actually obscure the actual low to moderate rate of the most serious crimes (murder, aggravated assault, rape, and robbery), and this point is important. Sweden actually prioritizes its treatment of crime in the criminal justice system giving priority to the serious crimes, and often diverting property crimes to out of court settlement by the police or prosecutors, often in the form of "day-fines."

TRENDS IN CRIME

Between 1995 and 2001, according to INTERPOL data, the rate of murder increased from 9.00 to 10.01 per 100,000 population, an increase of 11.2%. The rate for rape increased from 19.00 to 23.39, an increase of 23.1%. The rate of robbery increased from 65.00 to 95.83, an increase of 47.4%. The rate for aggravated assault increased from 616.00 to 667.42, an increase of 8.3%. The rate for burglary decreased from 1615.00 to 1323.90, a decrease of 18.0%. The rate of larceny increased from 5861.39 to 6988.81, an increase of 19.2%. (Note: larceny data are from 1996 – not reported for 1995) The rate of motor vehicle theft decreased from 659.00 to 495.21, a decrease of 24.9%. The rate of total index offenses increased from 2983.00 to 2615.76, an increase of 8.6%.

The above findings should be contrasted with those reported by Sweden to the United Nations. According to those findings, between 1995 and 1997 the rate for all recorded Index offenses increased from 6339.51 to 6981.48 per 100,000 in Sweden, an increase of 10.1%. The rate of intentional homicide decreased from 2.04 to 1.77, a decrease of 13.2%. The rate for major assaults decreased from 42.92 to 37.93, a decrease of 11.6%. The rate of rape decreased from 15.43 to 14.71, a decrease of 4.7%. The rate for robberies increased from 65.08 to 75.04 per 100,000, an increase of 15.3%. The rate for automobile theft increased from 790.05 to 890.75, an increase of 11.9%. The rate of burglaries increased from 1614.40 to 1664.41, an increase of 3.1%. Thefts increased from 3803.59 to 4296.87, an increase of 13%. In the UN data, violent crimes murder, major assaults, and rape are going down, while property crimes robbery, burglary, larceny, and auto theft are increasing in Sweden, owed as will be discussed to priorities in the criminal justice system.

Please note, I picked Sweden randomly. Other countries may have a different experience (in fact, one source I found said Sweden's crime rate was increasing compared to Norway and Denmark, two other countries that have outlawed corporal punishment: http://dev.prenhall.com/divisions/hss/worldreference/SE/crime.html)

I think you will find the data is not so clear as you suppose.