Author Topic: Dog bone wrenches - any good?  (Read 10234 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Dog bone wrenches - any good?
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 07:39:46 AM »
Thorsen makes good tools unless of course they've shifted their operation to China or some such kind of other place. I see it as a tool that I might buy and hardly ever use.

And, the real reason I'm posting, Hint: If you are bashing your knuckles you are doing it wrong. Even if the wrench slips or breaks.  ;)

Speaking of China, I was putting together a bunch of small threaded brass pipe and Chinese elbows yesterday. Not ONE elbow threaded on straight, they all wobbled as I turned them.  [barf]

Avoid cliches like the plague!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 07:45:39 AM »
Now if you really want lightweight and odd places I would go for a bag of crows feet, an appropriate breaker bar, an extension or two and a uni-joint if you really have to reach crazy crap. If you cant get on it with that then it is for certain a Lockheed engineer thought it up.

I laughed until I choked.   

Our engineering office is less than 20 meters from a production zone.  You can tell an engineer had an absolutely wonderful idea (on paper...) when you see one of the mechanics stomping up to the engineering department, swearing all the way. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 07:54:56 AM »
Quote from: French G.
A good argument for cheap chinese Stanley wrenches

I am on SUCH an anti-Stanley bent right now!  I while back I bought this wonderful Stanley demo tool.  Great thing.  Then a few weeks ago, I needed a new stapler for the shop.  Just wanted a basic, non-electric, non-pneumatic one.  Got a Stanley, took it home, and it was so poorly constructed that the staples wouldn't even load.  I would have taken it back for a refund, but I had bounced it off the concrete floor at high velocity a couple of times by the time I cooled off and didn't think it would be proper to return it after that.  But I did feel a bit better.   =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 08:32:37 AM »
This is for a minimalist set of tools that I carry about on foot. Maybe the dog bone doesn't seem appealing to those who haven't done much of that. Then again, I haven't used one yet, either. I have lugged about a set of wrenches in my tool bag before, along with standard and metric sockets and an 18 volt drill, with bits. I don't keep any of those in the walking-around tool bag anymore.

I know it will be a compromise. For twenty bucks, I might give it a try anyway. It will be bulky at the business end, but then so is a Crescent wrench, and those are still pretty handy.

Just curious, what's your minimalist set of tools?   I probably need to clean out and reorganize my toolkit.  It's either in my closet or in my trunk, so I have very little incentive to keep it clean, light and well organized.  Probably should change that...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 10:48:50 AM »
Just curious, what's your minimalist set of tools?   I probably need to clean out and reorganize my toolkit.  It's either in my closet or in my trunk, so I have very little incentive to keep it clean, light and well organized.  Probably should change that...

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 10:56:18 AM »

Forgot the M1 Garand.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 02:04:55 PM »
French G, weren't you a Navy Airdale?? I can't believe that you'd use pliers for bolts!!  :O

Knipex wrench pliers look like pliers, but in actuality are the carefully-disguised hand of God.

Look carefully at the camming system on there.  Sick.

My uncle bought a set of those.  We had a little competition by putting a piece of black iron pipe loosely in a pipe vise so it could spin freely.  I got on one end with a standard pipe wrench and he got on the other end with those knipex pliers, which you will notice are smooth-jawed.  We each tried to turn the pipe against each other.  Eventually the teeth on my pipe wrench dug so deep into the pipe that chips and sheets of the iron started sloughing off the pipe as the wrench spun loose.  The knipex never lost grip, never spun.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 02:23:33 PM »
^^^ Wow, I have never heard of these.  Nor do I think I have ever seen them in a hardware store.  I wonder if getting a small one to carry on the motorcycles or bicycles may be good.  With these, a screwdriver and allen wrench set, I would be good to go.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 02:36:38 PM »
Hmmm, my minmalist tool kit would be a crescent wrench, 6 way screwdriver, dykes, a meter and some little jumper testy cables with the alligator clips. Oh, and Clint Eastwood naturally.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2011, 09:24:48 PM »
Um, you guys are calling Clint Eastwood a tool?  [ar15]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2011, 01:55:39 AM »
Knipex wrench pliers look like pliers, but in actuality are the carefully-disguised hand of God.

Look carefully at the camming system on there.  Sick.

Definitely want to try those out.

Thanks for the suggestion, because I just went through my tool bag to make a list for you, and found a few items of dead weight. Which is good, since I just added a small Milwaukee screw gun to the tool kit. So here we go:

6-way screwdriver (1/4" and 3/16" straight-blade drivers, #1 and #2 Phillips, and 1/4" and 5/16" nut drivers)
10" Channel Locks, Mod. 430

I find that most fixes and adjustments can be made with the above tools. I carry the 10" pliers because it is just large enough for use on 1-1/2" sink drains or commercial toilets. My six-way driver was recently replaced with the Irwin 9-way driver, because it includes a 3/8 drive. It also has two sizes of Roberts drivers, but I keep those in a drawer. I'd never use them, and that gives me easier access to the 1/4" drive.

Here's the rest:

Mini-Mag flashlight, modified with LED bulb and push-button switch
multi-meter
2 AA batteries for flashlight or meter
voltage detector and spare battery
wire strippers
diagonal cutters (dikes)
needle-nose pliers
slip-joint pliers
aforementioned Ready Ratchet
10" Crescent wrench
Usually, a smaller Crescent, but I dropped mine on a snow-covered roof, and haven't replaced it yet. And I had just bought them well-used at a flea-market.   =(

claw hammer - not a big, framing hammer monstrosity, but something that fits in the bag.
cheapo paint brush, because it can be real handy for cleaning off what you're trying to work on
putty knife
utility knife - Stanley makes some pretty good ones that store extra blades in the handle WITHOUT having to take the handle apart

small razor scraper - Most on the market are junk. I like this kind.

safety glasses in case
ear plugs in case
electrical tape
PTFE thread seal tape
25' tape measure
9" torpedo level
carpenter's pencil
ink pen and Sharpie, unless you keep them in your pocket, like I do
paper clip, because sooner or later you'll really want one for something
tiny Stanley Yankee right-angle ratcheting screwdriver, like this one.  The little hardware store down the street still sells 'em.

They also sell these, http://lutztool.com/4-in-one.asp, so I no longer need to carry my little precision screwdriver set.

Allen wrench sets, standard and metric, in Swiss Army configuration
paint can opener
nail set
wood chisel, mainly to deepen or widen the cuts in wooden doors, when hardware is not fitting correctly
1/4" driver, with built-in, telescoping magnet for recovering metal bits This one. It's basically a 1/4" driver, built around a telescoping, magnetic picker-upper. Solidly built.

The usual 1/4" bits, plus a set of security/tamper-proof bits
4" x 1/4" flat-blade screwdriver
larger flat-blade screwdriver (whatever I can find at yard sales, since it will double as a pry bar)
#1, #2, #3 Phillips screwdrivers
3/8" nut driver

Theoretically, my Irwin combo screwdriver makes some of those redundant. In practice, I find it more convenient to have both. Also, my combo-drivers' #2 Phillips bits used to wear out pretty quickly, when that was all I carried. Then again, I now know where to find replacement bits.

Sorter/organizer box, with screws, nails, bolts, nuts, wire nuts, washers. I also keep some 3/8 threaded female caps in it, and some 00 rubber washers. This is for the domestic water supply valves under a sink or residential toilet. Unless those valves are fairly new, they won't completely shut off, so they often need capped.

And lastly, of course, duct tape. I'm thinking about adding some hockey tape.

They all live in one of these.

Some of those things are not all that necessary, but so small and light that I might as well have them as not.

Edited to pretty-ize the links.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:43:45 AM by Fistful »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2011, 07:08:30 PM »
yes, the channel locks are an option in mine depending on what I need to do. I was going to mention them but I don't always grab them so I didn't.

Clint is more of an implement. He helps me implement stuff.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2011, 10:14:05 PM »
I figure if enough people actually read that list, someone will be shocked at the total lack of Vise Grips.  :O  I added those to the tool bag a long time ago, but never used them. Vise Grips don't seem to appear much at the work place, either. So I don't know.  ???  I might put my pair back in, and use them if I get a chance. Mayhap I'll get to like them.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »
Um, you guys are calling Clint Eastwood a tool?  [ar15]
sometimes the truth hurts. :angel:

but then some of us see every living human as a tool. everyone has something there good at. and some ahole is always trying to drive a nail with a wrench. :facepalm: