Author Topic: So, what's wrong with this picture?  (Read 10158 times)

Regolith

• friend
So, what's wrong with this picture?
« on: December 29, 2011, 03:54:48 AM »
Guy buys a new S&W 686 Pro that has an interesting "feature":

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=632524

:O
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: So, what's wrong with this picture?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 03:59:15 AM »
Man, that just ain't right.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 04:22:58 AM »
Outsourced to china?
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 07:24:07 AM »
Well, it hasn't ka-boomed yet, so what's the big deal?

The "we're closed between Christmas and New Year's" may no longer apply for customer service.  Which may be less severe than how HR deals with the poor guy whose name is mentioned as signing off on it on a Friday.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 08:13:53 AM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:20:03 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 08:33:42 AM »
That's....interesting. Be interested to see S&W response and how much butt smooching is involved.

As for the big deal, I'd be a might peeved. Just because a serious safety issue was identified before someone got hurt doesn't mean a serious safety issue wasn't present. 
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 09:20:29 AM »
So it's pretty obvious that the machine which cuts the flutes has a dowel for centering the cylinder and one pin to line up a chamber with the machine.  Seems to me that they need to put 6 pins on the 6-flute-cutting machine and 7 pins on the 7-flute-cutting machine
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 09:54:48 AM »
I've never seen a cylinder machined.  Do they cut the bolt notches at the same time as the flutes?  Seems it would either be obvious from outward apperance that the stops and flutes didn't match, or only one of the six chambers would line up which would be obvious when test firing.  Either way, and spectacular fail.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 11:54:20 AM »
A Monday or a Friday build?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 12:06:35 PM »
"Hey!  I'm QC here, I CAN count to potato...."

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 12:11:24 PM »
Some QC manager at S&W is going to end up with an interesting paperweight.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 12:14:20 PM »

That's a good question.  My bet is Friday.  You know it's not a Tuesday or Wednesday build.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 01:10:57 PM »
"Hey!  I'm QC here, I CAN count to potato...."

If it was Dan Quale it would have been fine ...
Formerly sumpnz

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 03:59:18 PM »

OP there checked into that.  Got both the date it went through QC and who signed off on it:   
Yeah. It’s going to be embarrassing, at least, for Brian C. who signed the final QC paperwork on 12-02-2011. That was a Friday.

Who wants to bet this was the last gun good old Brian inspected that week? Maybe he was thinking about the hot date he had lined up instead of how many flutes there should be on a 686 SSR cylinder!!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Japle

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 05:28:12 PM »
The gun under discussion is mine.  I bought it on 12/16/2011, took it out to the range for a basic function check and rough sight-in.  I used .38 Spl loads.
Then I brought it home and did an action job on 12/21.  I was checking the timing when I noticed 7 flutes on the cylinder. 

I emailed S&W Customer Service on 12/22.  No response on the 23rd.  I noted they were closed until 1/2/2012. 

My dealings with S&W customer service have been excellent.  They're very aware that this gun is the subject of threads on over a dozen firearms forums.  They want to make me happy. 

I sent the gun in using S&W's label by FedEx 2-day and they got it on 1/6 at just after 9AM.  The label seems to indicate the gun went to the Performance Center.  Since I requested an unfluted cylinder and PC handles those, I'm optimistic. 

I kept the original cylinder. 

The gun was signed off at the factory on 12/2/2011.  That was a Friday and I suspect it was the last gun the inspector checked that week. 

I'll be shooting in a steel match tomorrow and it'll be fun showing the cylinder around!

John
Viera, FL

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 06:25:05 PM »
Thanks for checking in with us, Japle. Stick around if you like.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 07:25:58 PM »
The gun under discussion is mine.  I bought it on 12/16/2011, took it out to the range for a basic function check and rough sight-in.  I used .38 Spl loads.
Then I brought it home and did an action job on 12/21.  I was checking the timing when I noticed 7 flutes on the cylinder.  

I emailed S&W Customer Service on 12/22.  No response on the 23rd.  I noted they were closed until 1/2/2012.  

My dealings with S&W customer service have been excellent.  They're very aware that this gun is the subject of threads on over a dozen firearms forums.  They want to make me happy.  

I sent the gun in using S&W's label by FedEx 2-day and they got it on 1/6 at just after 9AM.  The label seems to indicate the gun went to the Performance Center.  Since I requested an unfluted cylinder and PC handles those, I'm optimistic.  

I kept the original cylinder.  

The gun was signed off at the factory on 12/2/2011.  That was a Friday and I suspect it was the last gun the inspector checked that week.  

I'll be shooting in a steel match tomorrow and it'll be fun showing the cylinder around!

John
Viera, FL

thanks for the update.  glad to hear their c/s is acting right
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 07:29:47 PM »
They're very aware that this gun is the subject of threads on over a dozen firearms forums.  They want to make me happy. 

I sure hope so!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 09:46:30 PM »
I would imagine at this point in time they would gold plate the thing if that's what it took to make you happy, just to try to salvage their  QC reputation....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 09:52:01 PM »
i'd make who ever signed off on it wear the bad one on a chain around his neck to Pour encourager les autres
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:54:04 AM by cassandra and sara's daddy »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 11:50:33 PM »
I saw a number of references to keeping the cylinder or the gun for collector value.  Is there any collector value? 

I'm not sure I would even keep the cylinder if S&W took care of everything.  I would be afraid it would get used down the road.  Also, I know from keeping paperweights from failures at work that eventually pieces of scrap steel are just that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Japle

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 07:57:25 PM »
If anyone thinks this cylinder has collector's value, I'll sell it.

$1,200.  I'll pay for shipping. 

BTW, the cylinder is stripped.  No extractor star or rod.  It would take a really incompetent gunsmith to install this thing in a gun and give it to a customer.

But then we have to consider how I came into possession of it in the first place.  Hmmmmm.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 08:30:07 PM »
Japle -

Did you post this over at the S&W Forum?

And by the way . . . what email did you use to reach customer service? I tried the link at their website for a minor issue with an SW1911 and have received no response.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Japle

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 10:07:50 PM »
Hank,

Yes I posted there.  Also on S&W's Facebook page. 

I used the "contact us" link on S&W's website. 

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 11:42:23 PM »
Don't underestimate the blogosphere.

When things pop up on "View From the Porch" and "Say Uncle" and a half a dozen other top gun blogs with hundreds of thousands of daily views by the gun nuts who really matter, on the same day, someone at Smith is going to go frantically diving through the Customer Service email lists.

We drive the industry now and the manufacturers know it.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."