Author Topic: Is there a Lead Alternative for Muzzleloaders?  (Read 10133 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Is there a Lead Alternative for Muzzleloaders?
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 03:42:47 PM »
Plutonium.  Just don't use a large capacity magazine.
For those who haven't seen this one yet:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XX2lIT1tQ
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 03:53:42 PM »
I'm with Tallpine on this. 

Every game animal I've shot has had two holes in it, one entrance, one exit.  Only birds have had lead pellets in the meat once I've cleaned them.

If condors are dying from lead poisoning it's probably not from gutpiles, but from paint chips.  ;/

Frankly, I think condors USED TO BE dying from lead poisoning, but it was attributable to lead paint, leaded gasoline exhaust, lead irrigation/plumbing pipes and lead-lined water troughs.

I don't think they're dying any more, though.  At least, not from lead. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 04:08:17 PM »
I'm with Tallpine on this. 

Every game animal I've shot has had two holes in it, one entrance, one exit.  Only birds have had lead pellets in the meat once I've cleaned them.

If condors are dying from lead poisoning it's probably not from gutpiles, but from paint chips.  ;/

The last couple I have shot with a lead jacket bullet had only one entrance would because the bullet hit a bone and exploded on the inside on the animal. One was a antelope at 317 yards COM, 165g Hornady SST bullet went in below the neck and exploded on the spine near the tenderloin. Also shot a deer this January with my ML shooting a sabot 250 g Hornady SST into the chest, hit a rib, the bullet exploded, part of the jacket was recovered in the rear haunch.

I'm about ready to give up on Hornady SST bullets, they shoot good but I'm not getting the results that I want when hunting.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

birdman

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 05:07:35 PM »
Frankly, I think condors USED TO BE dying from lead poisoning, but it was attributable to lead paint, leaded gasoline exhaust, lead irrigation/plumbing pipes and lead-lined water troughs.

I don't think they're dying any more, though.  At least, not from lead. 

Don't forget DDT.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 07:07:02 PM »
The last couple I have shot with a lead jacket bullet had only one entrance would because the bullet hit a bone and exploded on the inside on the animal. One was a antelope at 317 yards COM, 165g Hornady SST bullet went in below the neck and exploded on the spine near the tenderloin. Also shot a deer this January with my ML shooting a sabot 250 g Hornady SST into the chest, hit a rib, the bullet exploded, part of the jacket was recovered in the rear haunch.

I'm about ready to give up on Hornady SST bullets, they shoot good but I'm not getting the results that I want when hunting.

What velocity?  I use Sierra Gamekings in my 6.5x55.  Gamekings are supposed to be soft and weak according to Internet Lore, but I only drive them to 2500fps.  Even on close shots (50yds and below), they hold up just fine.  I shot a doe at 50yds, punching through a rib and the offside leg bone, and had complete penetration.  I shot a large buck at 25yds.  The first shot, through the neck, didn't hit any bones, but was through and through.  The 2nd shot, through the back and out the sternum (was putting him down from my tree stand after the neck shot only paralyzed him) was also a fully penetrating shot.

I think the key is not driving them too hard.  Other "internet hunters" show pics of the Gamekings exploding and ruining meat, but they've held up fine for me.  Of course, I'm shooting them from a 6.5x55 and those others are shooting them from 264winmags and other high velocity 6.5s.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 07:44:33 PM »
3200 fps with the 300 wm and 2100 fps with the ml.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536