Author Topic: Prom, a story and a question  (Read 10888 times)

Strings

Re: Prom, a story and a question
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 09:37:19 AM »
One other thing to remember: asking if you can help clan whatever gun it is the father threatens you with DOES help win points... Wink

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 10:29:58 AM »
She was used to gun-toting crazies...

Mebbe so, but it was still *you*. Tongue

Chris

You think I was crazy? You should have seen her in bed when she... no, can't relate that here... or when she... whoa! You're WAY too young to hear about that...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
"Probably spent 18 or so years caring for your spawn child."

That I know for a fact is not true.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

The Viking

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2007, 10:32:15 AM »
Don't get too drunk. I didn't stop in time. Got a wee bit too much to drink. sad Not throwing up and stuff, but...still a bit embarrasing.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2007, 01:13:42 PM »
How I did prom a couple of years ago on $120:

Standard tux. Nothing fancy $90. I don't dress up that much. Black vest, Jacket, trousers and bow tie. She wore a black and white dress. I like a simple, clean cut tux.
Corsage: Wrist type, matched dress. $16
Supper: Chain restaurant, $25

Don't drink. Don't try to get lucky with her. Treat her like a lady. Open doors, seat her, etc. Get a couple of disposable cameras (don't have to worry about batteries or film). If the punch tastes funny, don't drink it.

Don't try to look like a pimp, as all the other jackasses do.

Now, the girl I dated and took to the prom was a pretty good looking brunette who was a year older than me.  grin

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2007, 01:52:30 PM »
You realize that because you asked us for advice you're now obligated to give us a full after action report, right?

Strings

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2007, 03:02:10 PM »
>You realize that because you asked us for advice you're now obligated to give us a full after action report, right?<

Complete with pictures: such a report is worthless without pics...

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2007, 10:32:22 PM »
Oh, one more thing...

No pressure, but first prom?  This will be the event of her young life, probably until marriage.

Again, no pressure.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2007, 05:26:55 AM »
One other thing to remember: asking if you can help clan whatever gun it is the father threatens you with DOES help win points... Wink

Slight thread drift, but kinda on topic... Dated a young lady that was a few years younger than I was....  Her parents weren't overly happy with it at first, but eventually realized I wasn't a creep or wannabe pedophile.... (She was 17, I was 21)

When we first started dating, her parents invited me over to dinner so they could get to know me a little better...  No biggie, wasn't too nervous.....

Arrive on time, ring the doorbell, her dad opens the door.  and he's wearing a revolver on his hip....

I *think* he was trying to intimidate me....  But it really backfired.........

I look at the revolver, look at him, and ask, "38?"

He looks at me, a little perplexed....  "Yeah....."

Point to it, "May I?"

Now he's really perplexed...  "Ummm.  Ok...."

And he hands it to me...  Muzzle first.  Pointing at my gut.  I gently push it sideways a little as I take it...  And then the internal debate happens.  "Do I play nice, or do I pop his ego bubble a little bit............."

I decided to pop his bubble a little...   All one handed (was holding some flowers for her mom in my left hand) I did a little cowboy flip to get the butt in my hand, popped open the cylinder, made sure it was empty, flicked the cylinder closed (yes, this was before I knew that it wasn't nice to do that to revolvers....  blame the movies), did the little cowboy flip again so I was holding onto the barrel and handed it to him butt first....  Looked him right in the eye and all I said was "Nice....  I like it..."

He took the holster off, put the gun back in it, and turned and walked back into the house without saying a word... 

Talking to the girl later, she said that he had been so sure that I'd be quaking in my boots when I saw that revolver.... I almost felt bad for doing that....  *Almost*.....    angel
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Strings

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2007, 02:24:33 PM »
heh... I've helped the father of more than one date reassemble a gun when they first meet me. Always seems to irritate 'em somewhat ('course, don't have THAT problem anymore)...

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2007, 02:53:27 PM »
My best move with a dad was actually over the phone.

I was talking to her about something random and suddenly, in the background, I hear the sound of an elk bugling.

So I asked her, "Is that an elk hunting video?"

She then asked her father (in her sweet Southern accent) "Daaaddy, Ma-thew wants to know if that's an elk huntin' video."

Even though I was 18 and she 16, I was IN!

Thanks to "Wild Kingdom" and Marlin Perkins.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

TMM

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2007, 05:32:30 PM »
wow, step back and what a bunch of opinions and such. well...

The Hat definately comes with me. period.
now, tux vs. suit? hoo boy. a rental or ebay job is about the same price, rental might even be a bit more. you all brought up very good points with it being a formal occasion yet fun, perhaps allowing for some flair here and there... it's the question of spending about $70 more... but hey, i only do it once....hmmm.

carebear: thanks for the encouraging advice... undecided

thompson gunner: you got it! for all this help, you guys deserve it.

I would go to a nice dinner place before prom [they'd be closed after] but we're having dinner at prom. just now i considered meeting at a coffeeshop first, but our attire would be out of place.

ok, do-list for Monday is to ask what her dress color is, and perhaps see if she wants to do something before or after...

g'night...

~tmm

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2007, 06:30:09 PM »
So, the questions. i'm in the dark as to clothing, etiquitte, etc. the questions that i have off the top of my head are...
1) Clothing. i have a quite nice pinstripe [black with grey and dark blue stripe] two piece suit, which i am considering adding a matching pinstripe vest, if i can find it, or a simple black one. under that, a button up shirt and a tie. what color should those be? i was thinking all black, or throw some dark red in there. think that would be SUITable? [haha...] of course, my Knox grey felt fedora comes with. then to shoes: i've got a pair of black wingtips which i think would be good, or also oxblood semi-wingtip[shorter toe but still pointy]. any thoughts there? of course, i could rent a tux, but i want to stand out from the crowd and be a little different.not to mention, i think they're somewhat unsightly, hah.
2) my dad said i should get a corsage [sp?] for her. you know, those little flower deals. yes/no? comments?
3) i'd like to think i'm half-decent on etiquette, but anything i should keep in mind? opening doors, pulling out chairs, etc?

Go with a wrist corsage, like everyone else has said.  Do not buy one with too many fancy frills, just something very nice looking.  If you can, spring for orchids.  If not, color coordinate with her dress.  Trust me, she'll keep it for a long time and the extras don't hold up well.  It'll be very important to her.

If you want bonus points, a single long stem (dehorned) rose in addition to the corsage.  White would be preferable if you don't know the parents.  Red only if the parents already approve of you.  Double bonus points if you bring something simple but nice for her mother.

Rent a tux.  Trust me, simple and easy.  Go with something simple, do NOT rent a pimp suit.  I'd recommend a dark grey suit to go with the fedora.  If not, a black suit with a grey vest wouldn't be bad.  Pin stripes aren't bad either, just don't go with heavy contrast pin stripes.  Black dress shoes with black socks never go wrong.  Wear the shoes before hand to make sure they're ok.  I'd vote for a solid color tie to match the outfit, with a Three-point Fold pocket square with the color matching her dress.

It doesn't matter what everyone else does, focus on the lady.  Be polite and courtious, but don't go over the top.  Behavior wise, just see what she enjoys, and go with it.  Do not show off to your buddies.  If they act stupid and you don't, guess who gets the most bonus points with the ladies?  Speaking of which, no alcohol. 

I went to prom twice.  First time went with a black suit, grey vest.  My older brother ended up marrying my date's older sister.  That was interesting.  My brother and I had to negiotate strict rules on what information we passed on to the sisters.   One bit of advice I got was to keep a handkerchief in each pocket.  The thought being if that you get sweaty palms from being nervous, you can dry them discreetly.  Kinda worked out, as dancing in a tux isn't exactly natural.

Second time, wore my dress uniform and my beret.  The young lady's brother had been in our unit and had died in our unit.  We took care of our own.  Plus she had broken up with her then boyfriend because she was enlisting after graduation.  Didn't have to worry about an annoyed father with a Mossberg, if I acted untowards, I'd be facing automatic weapons with bayonets mounted.  Last word I got back was that she's now a Sgt, just got back from a deployment. 

now, tux vs. suit? hoo boy. a rental or ebay job is about the same price, rental might even be a bit more. you all brought up very good points with it being a formal occasion yet fun, perhaps allowing for some flair here and there... it's the question of spending about $70 more... but hey, i only do it once....hmmm.

I still stand by renting a tux.  Thing is, you can hit multiple tux rental shops to rent the perfect tux.  Ebay job may be hit or miss. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2007, 10:59:06 PM »
"I can open my own doors, thankyouverymuch!"

"I'll bet you can dance by yourself and find a ride home too!"
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2007, 10:55:54 AM »
Gonna have to concur with the wrist corsage thing. Also, the basic-manners-and-see-what-happens crowd.

Now: I'm gonna have to divert from the standard tux vs. suit debate. You uwant to be formal, yet stand out from the crowd, and do it in style?

Rent a kilt and Prince Charlie. cool

This from kiltrental.com
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2007, 11:05:12 AM »
When I went to my prom I dragged my formal mastadon skin out of the closet...

Talk to your friends and find out what they're wearing.

I, and most of my classmates, wore tuxes to our prom.

Liar!  We all know it was a formal loin-cloth!  And clubbing meant whacking a woman over the head and dragging her back to the cave!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2007, 12:05:56 PM »
I still say tux....

Yes, you can get away with wearing a suit, but it is SUPPOSED to be something special and out of the ordinary.

(Maybe I have to dress up so much that a suit is not that out of the ordinary for me?)

Listen very carefully.

DO NOT DRINK.

NOTHING.

As a group, we will fly to your house and kick your....

No booze.  Nary a drop.

You WILL regret it later.

Trust me.
One day at a time.

Strings

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2007, 12:47:17 PM »
HAH! I wasn't the first to mention a kilt!!!!!

DEFINATELY the thing to wear to stand out, and attract the ladies' attention. If worn, just remember: the only person who's supposed to see what's underneath is your wife: all others are supposed to check by feel... Wink

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2007, 01:19:29 PM »
Definitely go with a tux.  The fedora is cool.  Don't go any further down the "cool" path for this event.  It's a thin line between "cool" and "Bozo".

If you decide to go with a traditional corsage instead of a wrist arrangement and find that the pinning-on situation might become embarrasing, hand it off to her mother and ask her to do the honors.  THAT says "Class" to her parents.

All the other stuff...don't try and get lucky, be a gentleman, DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL.

Remember, this night is a mega big deal for her...being asked-out by an upperclassman makes her a major winner in her peer group, but only if it goes well.  NEVER, NEVER, NEVER leave her standing alone at the event so you can "hang with your buds"!  Make sure that you are polite, respectful, and attentive to HER.  If you really like this girl and think there might be potential for a relationship being on your very best behavior portends good things for the future.  Even if you don't think "She's the ONE", if you act untoward in any way, all of her friends are gonna hear all about it.

If you're not absolutely sure that you really know how to dance.....LEARN NOW!  Get an older girl as a tutor if need be.  Make sure that you know how to slow dance, too.

Oh, yeah...no pressure and HAVE FUN!

GOOD LUCK!
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Strings

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2007, 01:23:41 PM »
and when will we be getting pics of this?Huh?? Wink

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2007, 01:52:02 PM »
Are you guys serious about suggesting that TMM should wear a kilt? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TMM

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2007, 02:39:09 PM »
Well, i Ebay'ed a tux! i know my size, and if it dosen't quite fit, i'll have it tailored, and the end price will be what it costs to rent.[i love ebay!] All i need to get for it is a shirt and tie.

No, i'm not going to wear a kilt...

I like the handkerchief in each pocket... good idea.

Dancing: anyone know of some good websites where i can get some preliminary info?

now - i know the color of her dress and i need to find a [bow??] tie. her dress is a "peachy-salmon" color - good opportinity to put a splash of color in my attire. any suggestions/patterns/etc?

she took well to the idea of going to dinner before or after. this friday i may ask her to a coffeeshop to get to know each other and shake my nervous jitters.

thanks, and you'll get a story and pictures after the event!

~tmm

Strings

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2007, 03:13:45 PM »
oddly enough... no, I wasn't seriously suggesting it. Although it IS stylish, and definately stands out (and attracts LOTS of female attention), they're also INCEDIBLY expensive...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2007, 04:59:51 PM »
I just asked about the kilt, because I could see somebody taking that advice, but just not having the whatever-it-takes to pull off something like that, and ending up just looking silly.  I didn't figure TMM was the type to make that mistake, but I thought I'd add a note of caution, for what it's worth. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2007, 05:26:13 PM »
All it "takes" to "pull off wearing a kilt" is confidence. No real big trick to it...