Author Topic: Prom, a story and a question  (Read 10887 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Prom, a story and a question
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2007, 09:17:57 PM »
Flower, and flowers, are good.

Let HER pick your clothing. Unless she's completely lacking in taste - then, go to a tux rental, and tell them that you want a SIMPLE BLACK TIE-TYPE TUX. It won't cost much, and it'll be worth it, since you won't look like a complete idjit when the 20th reunion pix come out.

Get her home 1/2 hour after the prom, or her daddy's gonna do things to you that'll make that Hostel movie look G-rated...

Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2007, 09:27:59 PM »
All it "takes" to "pull off wearing a kilt" is confidence. No real big trick to it...

Yeah, and some people don't have it. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2007, 10:56:35 PM »
About the peachy-salmon and trying to match it:

My younger brother and I went through the exact same issue.  What you'll find is that no menswear looks good in peachy-salmon.  Go with silver, instead.  Chances are her shoes will be silver, and even if not, it matches everything.  Better to look good on your own than to attempt to match and not look good with anything.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2007, 04:38:26 AM »
Actually I was only half kidding, but "somewhat shy and quiet" was mentioned earlier, so the kilt might not be the best idea after all. The extra notice can be disconcerting if you're not used to it.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

TMM

• friend
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2007, 10:45:03 AM »
... Go with silver, instead.  ...

Silver? sounds kinda cheesey to me... i don't quite think it "goes with everything", either.

i'd like some sort of color, be it in a tie or pocket-square...

~tmm

Strings

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2007, 02:15:21 PM »
You COULD always do the tie and square in a complimentary color to the salmon...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2007, 02:39:50 PM »
Or just go with something neutral, like black, white, grey? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2007, 03:06:13 PM »
... Go with silver, instead.  ...

Silver? sounds kinda cheesey to me... i don't quite think it "goes with everything", either.

i'd like some sort of color, be it in a tie or pocket-square...

~tmm

Go with the pocket square.  Trust me.  Would I give bad advice for personal entertainment? 

Serious, tho.  They run no more than $3-5 unless you want some kind of odd silk variety.  Worse case scenerio, you're out $5. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2007, 05:08:49 PM »
1) Go to Barnes and Noble to the "Men's Interest" section.

2) Buy the latest issue of "Classic Style" magazine.  This issue is all about suits.  Suits the right way, not the boring, poorly fitting, monochromatic tripe we deal with today.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2007, 07:35:09 AM »
Hey, let us know about that ebay tux... The price is such that I'm thinking of one myself for those occasional occasions (Knob Creek would be one...).

Blog under construction

TMM

• friend
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2007, 04:52:38 PM »
well, i'll definately go for a pocket square, in a color to match her dress. i've decided that the tie will be black.

bogie, i'll let you know about how the tux works out. it's from a pretty big seller with excellent feedback, so i should have good luck.

~tmm

TMM

• friend
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2007, 02:24:59 PM »
Got the tux today! it's fantastic, and it fits great. here's the auction for it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Perry-Ellis-Tuxedo-Tailcoat-Prom-Wedding-39L_W0QQitemZ8251407864QQihZ020QQcategoryZ105515QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

i love the tailcoat. only thing is, the vest pockets aren't real, and i want to put a watch and chain in the vest. so, we'll probably tailor it a bit to put in a pocket.

i just hope it's a cool night...

Last things i need are a pocket square and a corsage.

~tmm

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2007, 07:20:20 PM »
That'll do.

Excellent win.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2007, 01:19:20 AM »
Got the tux today! it's fantastic, and it fits great. here's the auction for it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Perry-Ellis-Tuxedo-Tailcoat-Prom-Wedding-39L_W0QQitemZ8251407864QQihZ020QQcategoryZ105515QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

i love the tailcoat. only thing is, the vest pockets aren't real, and i want to put a watch and chain in the vest. so, we'll probably tailor it a bit to put in a pocket.

i just hope it's a cool night...

Last things i need are a pocket square and a corsage.

Very nice.  A royal blue shirt would really go with that if you ever have another formal event in the future.  Crimson if you don't care about the event and just want to meet women.   grin

Good choice going with the tie over the bow tie.  I think it looks more respectable.

With my suits, I always re-do the pockets.  Go to a fabric store, pick up two squares the same kind of whatever material you want.  Lay the squares on top of each other, sew a U shape on it, cut it out, flip it inside out.  Snip out the suit pocket a bit below the visible part, attach the new pocket.   Simple, easy and with proper tailoring, you can easy conceal carry any reasonably compact weapon or just have more room for random stuff.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2007, 05:07:25 PM »

Good choice going with the tie over the bow tie.  I think it looks more respectable.

With my suits, I always re-do the pockets.  Go to a fabric store, pick up two squares the same kind of whatever material you want.  Lay the squares on top of each other, sew a U shape on it, cut it out, flip it inside out.  Snip out the suit pocket a bit below the visible part, attach the new pocket.   Simple, easy and with proper tailoring, you can easy conceal carry any reasonably compact weapon or just have more room for random stuff.

oh, uh, i was actually going to use the bow tie it came with. it's in the same pattern as the vest.

thanks for the pocket tip. my mom knows her way around sewing so she can help me as well. i can sew myself, but not very well.

now a question for everyone: you think a fedora would look good with that tux? it's a grey, teardrop crowned, silk-lined, 2" brimmed, 2" grosgrain ribboned, Knox fur felt fedora. i personally think that The Hat goes everywhere, but what do you think?

~TMM

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2007, 05:25:57 PM »
You know my answer.
Although technically you'll want a topper for a tux.

But proms not really being Black Tie you'd probably look a little contrived.

Wear the lid and check it at the door.  You won't want to dance in it anyway.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2007, 04:37:47 PM »
well, i'm going to see what the flea market yeilds tomorrow for a bowler or top hat, as well as a pocket square.

~tmm

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2007, 05:06:31 PM »
Stick with the fedora.

A bowler or tophat just doesn't carry the same level of cool.  To me, the bowler or tophat seem "overdone".

You're looking for an accessory, not a prop.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2007, 01:00:21 AM »
The top hat is the proper hat for a tux, though the fedora would be just fine.

Just because idiot people today don't know what proper accoutrements are, doesn't make them "costumes".

The problem is people being ignorant of proper dressing standards. 

Once again I blame the damn dirty hippies.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2007, 02:37:14 PM »
hmm, i'm torn. my dad didn't think the fedora looked good with the tux, but i like The Hat coming with me everywhere, and you guys think it'd look good. well, i might just decide on the day of.

Oh, and for shoes. i have, as i mentioned before, black wingtips and oxblood not-so-wingtips. the black ones are more appropriate i'm guessing, but they're stiff, squeaky and creaky as hell, and heavy as my 12" boots[i'd like to wear my 12" engineer boots but i don't think that would look right...hah] . the oxblood ones are light, flexible, and comfy. think the oxblood would go alright with the black tux? i'm thinking [hoping...] it'd be a nice subtle contrast.

~tmm

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2007, 06:50:48 AM »
Post a pic of you in the tux with the oxbloods and the hat, we'll let you know Smiley

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2007, 06:59:46 AM »
Tux shoes should be shiny patent leathers, you can rent those cheap from a tux rental place.

A proper hat for a tux is a top hat, you can wear a bowler with a morning suit. You are wearing a after six tux so ditch the fedora, wear it to the post prom party.

A bunch of us wore cowboy hats to prom, I dug the picture out the other day, we all looked pretty stupid.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

PPGMD

• friend
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2007, 05:56:03 AM »
All it "takes" to "pull off wearing a kilt" is confidence. No real big trick to it...

You do need an answer for the ever present question, "What's under the kilt?"

Strings

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2007, 10:01:42 AM »
>You do need an answer for the ever present question, "What's under the kilt?"<

I have several. Usually, I just smile though. There ARE rules about that little issue though...

See, a LOT of women think it's funny to try and look up a man's kilt, but that's really not proper: the only person who's supposed to see what's under there is the spouse. Anyone else, if they're that curious, is supposed to check by feel... Wink

Some of the good answers I've heard:

Shoes
your wife's lipstick
the ground
"nothing... it all works fine!" (in answer to "what's worn under there?")

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2007, 12:11:28 PM »
Shoes with a tux can be the usual lace-ups with a spit shine.  No patent leather needed.  West of the Mississippi, western boots with a spit shine work, too.

If you don't know how to apply a proper spit shine, I can help, but a local fellow with military experience can do the trick.

Suit vs Tux
For a prom, either will do.  Formal != black tie.  Wear the one that fits you best & is most flattering.  Good on you for buying a tux.  Rented tuxes are usually a POS. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton