Author Topic: anyone fix washing machines?  (Read 876 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

anyone fix washing machines?
« on: May 04, 2007, 09:00:35 AM »
got a frigidaire gallery front loader won't spin and or drain  it apeard rum has sagged  ie  gasket seems didtened  drum looks to be situated lower than normal

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: anyone fix washing machines?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 10:05:51 AM »
If it's like a dryer the top will pop up at the front and rotate back on hinges.  Simple friction clips at the front and will pop up with little more than a good grip and sharp tug.

However, if it's a washer and the basket is cockeyed you will also have a seal problem, and dealing with a house full of water isn't worth saving a couple bucks on the repair.  Call a repairman that's familiar with the model and let them deal with it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 02:24:52 AM »
What year is the washer?

Early 2000 units had some bad latch problems, but others had motor and board issues.... ($$$)

Have you tried searching some of the appliance repair sites?
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 04:13:22 AM »
yea i fixed door latch a few years back  and it appears that it might be a bearing iddue  assemblys  close to 3 bills

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 08:48:41 AM »
There are strap doo-hickeys that support the basket that can break or become disconnected.  On my cheap-end one in my tri-plex the thing started making all sorts of news and hanging low.

Called the repair guy and he came out and rehung the straps.  Didn't even need new parts.

Apparently an out-of-balance or too heavy load can knock them akilter.

-EDITED-

That's on a top load.  Either way, get thee to a warranty service guy!
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 08:35:55 AM »
If it is out of warranty, it is many times cheaper to buy a new top-loader than pay a repairman to fix a top- or front-loader.

Heck, even if you fix it yourself, you can nearly break even buying a new top-loader.  The parts assemblies can be darned pricey.

Of course, if you must have a front-loader, a reapair amn will likely cost less than a new front-loading washer.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 08:14:43 PM »
I understand the Maytag repairman's schedule is wide open.  grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 04:07:03 PM »
;i gotparts ordered  2 big springs  15 bucks each  plus 20 for service  manual and 20 shipping  carebear had it right

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 11:20:20 AM »
The only time my Maytag stopped working was on an unbalanced load.  I had to recenter the thing before it would kick on again.  I thought it was broke at first.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 04:03:53 PM »
my wife likes to put 1 or 2 fluffy towels in a big front loader  makes it odd balance  thrash a bit  it broke on of the 2 springsd that hold drum up  i am replacing em both for 30 bucks plus 8 something shipping

can't train wife worth a darn