Author Topic: Good, quick, easy meals?  (Read 4783 times)

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Good, quick, easy meals?
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 11:06:24 PM »
Bird's Nest Toast

Take a shotglass or slightly larger glass. Invert and press down into the center of a piece of bread which is laying flat on a counter or cutting board.
With a twisting motion use the glass to cut a hole out of the bread.
Butter both sides of the bread and the round piece that you cut out.
Lightly brown both pieces on both sides in a butttered, pre-heated skillet on medium heat.
Crack an egg into the center of the big hole in the slice of bread.
Flip bread and egg together when bottom off egg is cooked.
Allow to cook on skillet until egg is as you like it, I prefer it to have a hot runny yolk.
While you are waiting for the egg to cook, take the little bread circle off the skillet and snack on it.  Really good.
Remove from skillet and enjoy with a fork.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 08:41:43 AM »
"I have a couple pounds of sashimi-grade tuna steak in the freezer...."

Damn.

Sorry to hear that.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2007, 10:38:55 AM »
Ok, then I have to ask why that's such a sad thing, Mike. Either you don't like sushi, or tuna, or you get the stuff so fresh that you don't like the idea that it comes frozen.

I can't afford to airlift fresh-caught sashimi-grade tuna to my home, and the really good sushi bars aren't popping up around here like they were when I lived on the East and West coasts.  So if I want sushi or sashimi these days, I usually get the frozen stuff and go from there. 

I can't get Yuengling here, either.  Bummer. Decent buffalo wings seem to have evaded the average Cheddarhead's palate, too.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007, 10:50:11 AM »
Ok, then I have to ask why that's such a sad thing, Mike. Either you don't like sushi, or tuna, or you get the stuff so fresh that you don't like the idea that it comes frozen.

I can't afford to airlift fresh-caught sashimi-grade tuna to my home, and the really good sushi bars aren't popping up around here like they were when I lived on the East and West coasts.  So if I want sushi or sashimi these days, I usually get the frozen stuff and go from there. 

I can't get Yuengling here, either.  Bummer. Decent buffalo wings seem to have evaded the average Cheddarhead's palate, too.

That's a shame.  I've got a fridge full of Yuengling Lager and Black&Tan.  I guess you'd better be nice to me or I'll start posting pictures of it....
 cheesy
Oh, and the fact that there is a brand new Sushi bar going in 5 minutes from my house.  Two nearby Japanese steakhouses that make acceptable sushi as well.
 laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007, 11:02:01 AM »
 sad

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 11:09:16 AM »
I didn't say it was sad. I said I was sorry to hear it. Two different things.

"you get the stuff so fresh that you don't like the idea that it comes frozen"

There's your winner.

For eating raw, the way tuna should be consumed, freezing at home temperatures has a "mushing" effect caused when ice crystals penetrate cell walls. The faster you can freeze it, the better. Most home freezers rarely get below -15 or so, and they don't move air quickly enough to truly rapidly freeze delicate meats.

Ideally you'd drop the block of wrapped tuna into liquid nitrogen and then move it to a deep freeze to warm up and stabilize. Flash freezing at that kind of temperature will prevent almost all cellular damage.

Unfortunately, though, even commercially frozen tuna is often quite sub par because of repeated partial thawing and refreezing during shipping.

"I can't afford to airlift fresh-caught sashimi-grade tuna to my home, and the really good sushi bars aren't popping up around here like they were when I lived on the East and West coasts."

You could have easily lived on one of the coasts, yet you choose about as north central as you can get. I think the optimal phrases are 1. "You have chosen poorly" and 2. "Sucks to be you, Homer."  laugh

"I can't get Yuengling here, either."

Who the hell would want to?

I grew up a hop, skip and a jump from the brewery. It was cheap, about as cheap as beer could get, and I still wouldn't touch it.

Tell you what...

You ever get back east and we'll go on a sushi bar crawl. I know a couple of GREAT sushi places.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 11:28:53 AM »
I figured that's what you meant.  I can see you trying everything and liking it, save for maybe Balut. (Been there, done that, wouldn't recommend it)

I'm assuming the tuna steaks I bought were flash-frozen, truthfully. Not much visible ice on each fillet, and they're vacuum-bagged. Freezer burn just plain sucks.

I hate mushy, crystalline tuna, or cod, or crab, for that matter. My family here are black angus beef farmers, and they hate good cuts of meat ruined by improper freezing techniques, too.

Outside of a really good sushi bar in Omaha, NE (Sushi Ichiban), the best sashimi I had was neither in Tokyo or Okinawa.  It was dockside at Port Canaveral a couple years ago, after I spent a day landing yellowfin on a charter boat.  We broke out the soy sauce and started cutting! 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 11:30:54 AM »
"I'm assuming the tuna steaks I bought were flash-frozen, truthfully."

I just really, really hope that that flash was maintained during shipping.

Last time I bought tuna steaks I made the butcher bring the primal out so I could see it.

Oh, and just as you can't afford to have fresh tuna shipped to you?

I can't afford to stuff my ass into a 767 and fly across the pacific just so I can eat raw fish.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2007, 11:32:50 AM »
Homer will be more than glad to ship fresh bluegill, perch, smallmouth, and crappie filets your direction, maybe even some whitetail tenderloins, as a reminder of why he chose such a sucky location to retire in...   grin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2007, 11:40:49 AM »
Homer will be more than glad to ship fresh bluegill, perch, smallmouth, and crappie filets your direction, maybe even some whitetail tenderloins, as a reminder of why he chose such a sucky location to retire in...   grin

Bluegill -  I can get it, don't much like it.

Perch - I can get it, it's OK.

Smallmouth - I can get it, it's OK.

Crappie - Keep it, I really don't like it.

Whitetail tenderloins -- Yeah, it's really sad here since all the whitetail deer pulled up stakes and moved to Wisconsin. Oh, wait a second, silly me. I can get it. My boss has twice offered me ground venison, and Mtnbkr gave me one last fall.

The one thing we have here that I'm pretty sure you don't have much of out there? The one fish that I WOULD kill for (other than blue fish)?

Striped bass.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2007, 11:45:17 AM »
I'm hungry now.

FRESH Sushi for dinner!!!
One day at a time.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2007, 11:48:53 AM »
I did get to see some serious flash-frozen yellowfin and bluefin at a seafood auction in Tokyo, once. You could tell how hard-frozen they were by the sublimation fog of each fish as it came out of its freezer onto the display pallets, it reminded me of things we froze using liquid nitrogen in my forensic lab days.  I also got sticker-shock from the prices of individual fish, frozen or fresh.  Afterwards, it came as no surprise to me when a 202Kg bluefin garnered 20 million yen, about $840.00/kilogram at the time. (That's a $170K fish...)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2007, 11:53:08 AM »
Another reason I can't afford to go to Japanland...

They pay too much for their tuna. Smiley

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2007, 11:58:15 AM »
I did my touring on the USAF nickel.  We had a lunched #1 engine, and the replacement TF-33 engine took a week to arrive.  Aircraft commander said "See y'all next Monday".  So we played the typical dumb-American-in-Tokyo tourist thing.   grin

We have stripers, but like the other bass they're catch-and-release only until 16 June.

My brother just brought me some nice brown trout filets he caught last weekend.  I'm having them with my eggs and toast for breakfast soon. 

Regarding Pennsy whitetail, as long as they're not the small dogs the folks in Florida call deer, I guess that's ok.  I'm used to decent-sized deer filling up on corn, acorns, and generally being bigger than the family pet.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2007, 12:50:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Wisconsin whitetail aren't much bigger on average than Pennsylvania whitetail.

The two doe I got years ago both weighed probably 120-130 live weight.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2007, 06:31:09 AM »
Gewehr, I've heard stories of the "Gomen Piles" around Japan. Some of my shipmates that were stationed in Atsugi were always bragging about stuff they'd retrieved from them. I never got the opportunity to find any of those because I wasn't there for any length at a time. It was always coming and going, typical of being a Sailor.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

mfree

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2007, 09:29:45 AM »
Shrimp is surprisingly easy to broil. Little salt, little pepper, some lime juice, into the oven on broil for ~5 minutes and you're good to go.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2007, 10:30:32 AM »
Another quick and easy
My Tacos.....
1lb ground beef, browned and drained.
add 2 cups water, one can of diced tomatoes, one packet of taco mix.  bring to a boil, add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of rice.  Stir well, boil for a minute or two and bring back down to a simmer.  Stir frequently. 
Use your favorite fixins and add to tacos, burritoes, or taco salad.  Or....layer with guacamole, sour cream, refried beans, lettuce, and cheese and use a dip.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2007, 06:37:33 AM »
My absolute favorite meal is also about the easiest to make. You need a pound and a half of lean hamburger, and some onion seasoned tater tots.  Fry up the meat, and deep fry or bake a double handful tots. when they're both done mash them all together and add ketchup, or mustard or whatever tickles your fancy. Its always my dog's favorite day of the week when I cook it 8-)
cheers,
Shawn.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2007, 03:16:43 AM »
Quick and Easy

1) Turn gas grill on "High".
2) Push ignition switch until you hear a "Whoof".
3) Wait for grill to heat.
4) Throw thawed and seasoned meat of the day on fire and cook to desired level doneness.
5) Eat.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2007, 04:56:40 AM »
Pasta and pepperonchini

Cook some pasta and toss it with a good extra virgin olive oil and some red chili flakes.  Other variations can have some toasted bread crumbs in the place of cheese, you'll see this in a lot of more peasent every day italian pastas, cheese was expensive, toasting up some left over bread crumbs to toss on the pasta was cheap.  And it adds a nice texture just make sure not to use it on things that are to wet or to really toss it in, soggy is bad.

Also taking some vegtables sliccing them and putting them on a pan under the broiler or onto the grill and then tossing them with pasta is quick and easy.

Course, I could go on with the Italian peasent food but then most peopel start going eww lol
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MattC

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2007, 08:57:07 AM »
Soak some black or pinto beans overnight, put it in the crockpot when you wake up.  When you get home for dinner, make some rice.  Put rice and beans on a tortilla, add shredded cheese and salsa.  Make in bulk, and you have dinner for a week.

Boil a lot of pasta.  Top it with whatever sauce you want to make/buy, and add Parmesan cheese.  Make in bulk, and you have lunch for a week.

Buy a lot of cereal when they have sales like "Buy Ten, get $10 off."  Milk suggested.  Breakfast for two months.

Defrost a frozen chicken breast with hot water in the sink, cut it into strips and grill it in a pan.  Add to either lunch or dinner if you need variety.  Use different types of cheese to increase variety.

If you don't own a crockpot, get one.  Throw something foodish in it in the morning.  Eat it at night.  Cook it with mushroom soup if you have doubts about it's tastiness.  Works well with chuck roast.  Add some cheese; I suggest pepperjack.

Fast, easy, cheap, and usually healthy meals that this Wisconsin college boy lived on.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2007, 03:51:49 PM »
anything in a crockpot
if you work long hours and don't wanna over cook something freeze it and set up a timer to delay the start time

woodcdi

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2007, 04:30:30 PM »
Want sumthin to drink? Get a bottle or can of Moxie(You may have to mail order it if you don't live in the Northeast). Add a jigger of Kahlua and enjoy. It's called a "Mahnua".

Woody

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2007, 04:35:46 PM »
1 can black beans, not drained
1 can corn, not drained
1 can store-brand condensed bean-and-bacon soup
smoked sausage - I use about half of one of those U-shaped ones they sell in a plastic package by the cold cuts
sliced green peppers
cooked rice if you have some left over
a bunch of cajun seasoning

Throw it all in a pot and let it simmer for half an hour or so for the flavors to blend.

You can eat it right away, but after 2 days in the fridge it's even better. Make a lot. Double or triple the recipe.
D. R. ZINN