Author Topic: Personal Best  (Read 2536 times)

mattw

• friend
Personal Best
« on: May 09, 2007, 11:31:43 PM »
I've been running for about five months now because I'm trying to get ready for Marine OCS. I went running last night and got my personal best 3 mile time: 22 minutes 12 seconds.

So I was just wondering... anyone else here have a personal best run time to share?

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Re: Personal Best
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:49:18 AM »
about 4 1/2 days. grin
One day at a time.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 02:37:04 AM »
0-60 in 8 seconds if I really floor it.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 02:51:10 AM »
15:18...........................when I was 18 years old  laugh
It was the first PFT in boot camp, only one of the DI's beat me on the run.....barely  laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 05:19:23 AM »
about 4 1/2 days. grin

Wow. You're a LOT faster than me...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 05:56:40 AM »
It's because I can roll downhills....

I'm in shape- round is a shape!
One day at a time.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 06:02:23 AM »
I don't think I've ever run as far as 3 miles, but my personal best for 1.5 miles was about 10 minutes.  I was 40lbs lighter and 16 years younger though.

I hate running.  I've never been able to find a comfortable stride that would let me run for longer distances, yet I'm also not able to sprint well.  It doesn't help that I have no natural fitness at all.  In other words, I had to work hard for the mediocre level of fitness I have now and would quickly lose it if I stopped biking and working out at the gym.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 06:39:53 AM »
My best 1 mile time was in high school, just a bit over 6 minutes, IIRC. Almost killed myself doing it. There's a reson I threw shotput and wasn't on the running side of things.

Whoops. I said 5 minutes; it should have been 6 minutes.

The only way I could do a 5 minute mile is with an Atlas rocket up my ass...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 06:45:27 AM »
In May of 1986, I did my USAF 1.5 miles in just over 11 minutes.  The military accepted folks with flat feet back then.   
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ron

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 07:37:10 AM »
I normally average about one mile per hour.

Of course that is with a forty + lb pack on my back in rugged terrain with plenty of stopping to take pictures!

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 10:59:16 AM »
My best 3-mile was 20:15. My best average was about 20:30.
D. R. ZINN

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 02:46:39 PM »
I ran a 17:15 once during a Bn field meet for Drill Instructors @ MCRD SDiego.  Circa 1975.  One of the other DI's that normally ran in the 15's was pacing me....prick!  It was a team race where each of the 3 Companies had 6 guys running.  First team with all six across the finish line won...that was us.  All I had to do was finish ahead of one other guy from each of the other companies.

I went TU shortly past the finish line, and several of my buds were standing over me pouring beers into my mouth.  THAT was an experience!

My normal 3 mile time while I was a DI was 19:00.

My normal 3 mile time throughout the rest of my career was around 22:00.

I've got the ankle aches and pains to prove it, too!

If you show up at OCS running 22:12 (or better), you'll do OK.  I'll bet you're down in the 18's before you're done.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 05:00:41 PM »
My personal best 5K was a 19 something although the one that sticks out in my mind is a 5:56 1 mile split on a really hellish 5K course circa 1992. I was a really crappy runner back then, now I would kill to be able to crank out a 24:00 5k.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 05:02:18 PM »
Just for the general knowledge of anyone who might be wondering: 5 kilometers is about 3.1 miles.
D. R. ZINN

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 08:00:57 PM »
I get all the exercise I need from coughing.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 09:43:56 PM »
Why run? Is someone chasing you?

On a happier note, after almost 15 years of retirement, I can still fit the height/weight standard for the Navy...........that is if I lie about my height and say I am 7'1".

bob

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 01:26:13 AM »
I've been running for about five months now because I'm trying to get ready for Marine OCS. I went running last night and got my personal best 3 mile time: 22 minutes 12 seconds.

So I was just wondering... anyone else here have a personal best run time to share?

12 minutes, two miles.  Immediately after a 15 minute two mile run.

What happened was, in basic our group 'failed' the group run according to our drill.  So he said "WAIT HERE", comes back about 5 minutes later sitting on the hood of a HMMWV, holding an M16 WITH A FREAKIN BAYONET.  "If I catch ya, I'm gonna stick ya!"  Well, uh.  We ran faster.  MUCH faster, as any sane person would when being chased by a drill sergeant, on a Hummer, with a bayonet, screaming at ya.  I wish to the Gods that I was kidding.

Immediately after, puked my brains out.  Never before nor since did as much puking as I did that morning.  Insane cramps, hurt everywhere, and the world was spinning.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 06:01:44 AM »
I ran a 17:15 once during a Bn field meet for Drill Instructors @ MCRD SDiego.  Circa 1975.  One of the other DI's that normally ran in the 15's was pacing me....prick!  It was a team race where each of the 3 Companies had 6 guys running.  First team with all six across the finish line won...that was us.  All I had to do was finish ahead of one other guy from each of the other companies.

I went TU shortly past the finish line, and several of my buds were standing over me pouring beers into my mouth.  THAT was an experience!

My normal 3 mile time while I was a DI was 19:00.

My normal 3 mile time throughout the rest of my career was around 22:00.

I've got the ankle aches and pains to prove it, too!

If you show up at OCS running 22:12 (or better), you'll do OK.  I'll bet you're down in the 18's before you're done.

I recall that in early August of 1975, we were in the barracks right across the fence from MCRD San Diego at the NTC/ RTC. I remember the Marines running by and doing some derogatory cadence towards us Sailors. We made our own and would shout it out as they ran by. 
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 07:30:32 AM »
I prefer to move at a more relaxed pace.  I'm a big guy, can't run fast for very long, but I'm very very fast for my size in a sprint.  Used to surprise the hell our of people in high school football.

mattw

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 09:38:35 AM »

I sure hope you're right. I'm getting pretty worried about being able to keep up with the runs at OCS. And I'm not sure about how much time I'll drop off while there. If I could get down to the 18s, well... don't know what I would do If I ever got a 300 PFT.

Just to clarify though, 22:12 was my best time ever. Thats without doing any pull ups or crunches or bends and thrusts or whatever else those sadistic SIs have in mind. I'm sure my actual run time now would be much closer to 23:20 if I ran an actual PFT, having done the pullups and crunches first.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 02:27:46 PM »
I did a mile in about 7 minutes not too long ago. No way I could string 3 of them together at that pace. I'm on my way back from a groin strain that took 3 years to heal.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2007, 02:51:12 AM »
I did a mile in about 7 minutes not too long ago. No way I could string 3 of them together at that pace. I'm on my way back from a groin strain that took 3 years to heal.

My knees and ankles have paid for the effort I used to put out when I was young.  I'm short, so I had both a quick turnover and a very long stride for my size.  My joints got pounded.

These days I ride a bike.  I've even done some racing, although I'm not in that kind of shape right now. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 02:48:17 PM »
I ran a 17:15 once during a Bn field meet for Drill Instructors @ MCRD SDiego.  Circa 1975.

Mine was 19:something during a PFT at MCRD in late 1974.  I wonder if Moondoggie was a DI there at that time.
Stepped off the asphalt wrong with my left foot one time during a later run in boot.  Screwed up my ankle some, but kept going.  Still gives me minor trouble to this day.
Enjoyed my time in the Corps, but never liked running afterwards.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2007, 03:06:29 PM »
Rocketman, I was a DI in Golf Co, 2ndBn from May of '74 to Jun '76.

But for the grace of God, you could have been one of my dinks.

Heck, maybe you were!
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2007, 03:12:29 PM »
19:12 in SOI, didn't know I had it in me, if I had I would have started my kick sooner, probably could have broken 19.  undecided

That'd be on Pendleton in 1991.  I was usually between 19-22 after that.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."