Author Topic: Toys for big boys (and girls) part II: A hogleg  (Read 1086 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Toys for big boys (and girls) part II: A hogleg
« on: May 12, 2007, 08:34:33 PM »
A couple of items I've got on my gun list, and been wanting for a while.

They've been pouring on the overtime at work lately and I'm finding a few extra shekels in the bank account, and well, "guns are a good investment" (shut up, I'm convincing myself).

A couple of years ago my cousin bought himself a "genuine, replica cap-and-ball" hogleg. A civil war era single-action revolver in (I think .45) caliber. Anyway I really like the way it looks, and I want one. But being the kind of guy who has a utilitarian streak to his lust for "baubles and foo-fraws and gimcracks" (TM Sam Clemmons) I'd like one that will take modern cartridges, fire without a giant cloud of smoke, and will (hypothetically) stop a charging Grizzly (an important daily neccessity here in northeast Texas) with one shot.

Anyway I was thinking that it might be fun to have a shits-and-grins gun that was a modern smokeless monster caliber in a single action hogleg style. .41, .454, .480, .500, anybody have any ideas?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Toys for big boys (and girls) part II: A hogleg
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 05:13:26 AM »
Blackhawk .44 magnum ?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 08:47:28 AM »
Older model Ruger Vaqueros are reasonable in price, since they redesigned them for the SASS crowd. 

Manedwolf will tell you, though, that it's "Just a hogleg".   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 03:24:18 AM »
a DE lone eagle, a remy Xp-100, savage striker or a TC contender would "git er done"

I have always like the center gripped thumb hole Xp-100s

Its a very Han Solo hog leg

http://home.earthlink.net/~hwsportsman/LoneEagle.html

http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/centerfire/xp-100.asp

http://www.gunshopfinder.com/savage/savage516fsak.asp

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/g2ContenderPistols.php
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 09:50:46 AM »
Something in a 454 would be nice 'cuz you can always shoot 45LC in it, too.  That said, it's alwasy fun to have the bragging rights associated with the most insane piece of hardware at the range.  If you can stomach the ammo prices, a .500 Smith is tough to beat in the "got the biggest one here" category.

By the way, question in relation to the new 460 Smith cartridge.  I was told you can also shoot 454 and 45 in something chamber for 460 S&W.  Being particularly lazy today I don't want to bother hopping on the internet to check.  I'd rather bother you folks instead! Cheesy

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 09:56:28 AM »
Something in a 454 would be nice 'cuz you can always shoot 45LC in it, too.  That said, it's alwasy fun to have the bragging rights associated with the most insane piece of hardware at the range.  If you can stomach the ammo prices, a .500 Smith is tough to beat in the "got the biggest one here" category.

By the way, question in relation to the new 460 Smith cartridge.  I was told you can also shoot 454 and 45 in something chamber for 460 S&W.  Being particularly lazy today I don't want to bother hopping on the internet to check.  I'd rather bother you folks instead! Cheesy

Brad

I'd picked up a 6.5" Taurus "Judge" 45LC/.410 in matte stainless just for fun, also for the wide eyes when I bring that one out, but that's a DA, not SA as the OP asked for.  smiley  (good house gun, though! #6 shot followed by 000 buck, then 45LC silvertips if there's still a problem)

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 12:00:13 PM »
<drool>
D. R. ZINN

crt360

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 06:40:31 AM »
Can you still get a BFR in 45-70?

Apparently so:  http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=83389

That should satisfy your requirements.
For entertainment purposes only.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 06:50:47 AM »
There's also the 500 S&W, which has a downright scary fireball in photos.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 07:09:25 AM »
Get a Ruger in 44mag, any platform.  Popgun to handcannon depending on the load, somewhat cheap to feed (for a handcannon), and ammo available just about everywhere.  My 2nd choice would be 454.  If you're a reloader, you could add the 45Colt since it can be loaded up to mag levels in strong guns, but if you're not a reloader, the 44mag or 454 are more practical.

For my 44mag, I load 300gr hardcast bullets to 1100fps for hunting small Virginia whitetail, but I shoot standard 240gr magnums for fun.  The 300s get a bit rough after 20-30 shots.  Why 300s for small Va whitetail?  Because the deer and bear seasons overlap in some areas.  I've known folks to go out for deer and bring a bear home instead. 

The 41 isn't bad, but not "handcannonish" enough for me. 

Chris