Author Topic: "If you pay peanuts, you'll hire monkeys."  (Read 5657 times)

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
"If you pay peanuts, you'll hire monkeys."
« on: May 16, 2007, 09:39:09 AM »
This came up in conversation with someone in regard to an employee who was hired mainly because, although qualified, he was willing to work for less than anyone else.  Needless to say his performance hasnt been stellar.  But I thought the quote (delivered in a Cajun accent) was hysterical and true.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: "If you pay peanuts, you'll hire monkeys."
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 09:54:09 AM »
I experience this phenomenon all the time in the security world.  You get what you pay for.  If I was in charge, my policy would be:

1.  All accounts are armed accounts.  Minimum wage is $15/hour, with +50 cents/hour for every hour of actual work the guard does.

2.  Guards are aggressively recruited through a cooperative program with the National Guard.  The NG wins as those guards who are already in will naturally pitch the organization to those who are not.

My company would probably go broke, but I think this is the way the entire industry should be moving.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 10:00:51 AM »
If you two guys are employers you know (or should know) that it's not only the amount of money you pay somebody, but how you treat them that will get you the level of performance you want.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 10:06:36 AM »
If you two guys are employers you know (or should know) that it's not only the amount of money you pay somebody, but how you treat them that will get you the level of performance you want.

"Pay" is a somewhat misleading term.  Total compensation is what is really meant.  If you have two jobs, one paying 10/hr and one paying 12/hr but the 10/hr one also provides child care or health insurance or whatever, then the 10/hr job is probably the more valuable.  Similarly, two jobs with identical compensation but one involves working with a loud-mouthed idiot, obviously the total compensation will be different.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 10:06:59 AM »
Riley, no one's paying you for your opinion.  Now get back to work, or you're fired! 

Red-Commie, Union agitators... angry
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 10:18:13 AM »
"Show me the least respected and lowest paid employees in any organization, and I'll show you the people most responsible for that organization's success or failure."  -Unknown

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Paddy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 10:19:49 AM »
Of course 'pay' means total compensation.  As a competent and experienced accountant, I know that  smiley
The work environment, however, is equally important.  It costs nothing to treat employees fairly and with courtesy and respect.  As an employer, you lose nothing by doing so, either.  Everyone knows who the boss is.

And scapegoat, I'm currently unemployed, so bite me.  laugh

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 10:24:27 AM »
Did you get fired for being a Red-Commie Union agitator, demanding safe working conditions, 8-hour days, and all that other commie stuff?   angry

Sorry, Riley, I got all this from reading too much Steinbeck.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 10:30:11 AM »
Of course 'pay' means total compensation.  As a competent and experienced accountant, I know that  smiley
The work environment, however, is equally important.  It costs nothing to treat employees fairly and with courtesy and respect.  As an employer, you lose nothing by doing so, either.  Everyone knows who the boss is.

And scapegoat, I'm currently unemployed, so bite me.  laugh

You missed my point.  Total compensation includes the intangibles of any job, including work conditions.
  It does not always cost nothing to treat people well.  Imagine a situation where someone is secretary to a real hot shot salesman, who also happens to be an unmitigated jerk.  If the company fires the jerk, their sales will suffer terribly.  If they keep him they will be looking for secretaries every 6 months.  My own take (based on experience) is that it is never worth it to retain someone like that, no matter how good he is at his job.  But other people make different decisions.

Paddy

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 10:43:10 AM »
Rabbi-
The solution to that problem is to find the right secretary.  You need a good match.  Someone who is confident and resilient with thick skin.  Let her know up front what the deal is and pay her well.  She and the loud mouth salesman will develop their own working relationship.

And scapegoat, no, I was not fired for being a commie.  I was fired for 'excessive internet usage'.   laugh

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 10:59:33 AM »
Unfortunately Mother Theresa is dead...

I've had that situation, sort of.  It was either the hot shot or the long time assistance.  Getting someone else wasnt an option.  The guy was gone.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 02:52:13 PM »
These days, you get the best service that the least amount of money can buy.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 05:41:16 PM »
The title of the post is as close to a Universal Truth as can be found in econ/business.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 04:06:24 AM »
The title of the post is as close to a Universal Truth as can be found in econ/business.

Yes, thats what caught my attention.  It is the most succinct statement of the labor market's workings I have heard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 05:10:25 AM »

"Pay" is a somewhat misleading term.  Total compensation is what is really meant.  If you have two jobs, one paying 10/hr and one paying 12/hr but the 10/hr one also provides child care or health insurance or whatever, then the 10/hr job is probably the more valuable.  Similarly, two jobs with identical compensation but one involves working with a loud-mouthed idiot, obviously the total compensation will be different.

Bingo.

I've taken jobs that pay less because they have far better fringe benefits.

Ask Mtnbkr about his "loud-mouthed idiot" coworker...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 10:37:14 AM »
Quote from: Henry Ford
There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible.

~GnSx

Paddy

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 10:56:06 AM »
Some employers think that they own their employees just because they pay them a wage.  They think of (and treat) employees as an expense, rather than an asset.  But you can bet that unless the employee is making them money, they wouldn't be there.

And what's wrong with unions?  Without them we'd still have sweatshops with 16 hour workdays and child labor.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 11:03:09 AM »
"And what's wrong with unions?  Without them we'd still have sweatshops with 16 hour workdays and child labor."

Anyone? Anyone?

Behuler? Behuler? Can you answer that softball?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 11:06:54 AM »
And with them we have idle factories that used to produce steel and cars.  Take your choice.
Why is it that the only unions growing are the public sector ones, with access to unlimited funds?
My grandfather was a member of the ILGWU in the twenties.  It was necessary then.  Sure isn't now.

Paddy

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 11:29:25 AM »
And with them we have idle factories that used to produce steel and cars.  Take your choice.
  When the industrialists could no longer exploit Americans, they outsourced (and continue to outsource) to third world countries where they can exploit impoverished people.  But we don't care.  All we care about is how much cheap Chinese crap we can fill our SUV's with from Walmart and Costco.  It's the American way, after all.  Well, this consumer based economy's days are numbered. We'd better start manufacturing something of value again.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 11:41:39 AM »
Ask Mtnbkr about his "loud-mouthed idiot" coworker...
Don't forget to ask about the near complete autonomy I have in doing my job, including the hours I work and the locations I work from.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 11:55:07 AM »
Well, this consumer based economy's days are numbered. We'd better start manufacturing something of value again.

You do realize that comsumption is the only reason an economy exists in the first place?

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Paddy

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 12:05:46 PM »
uh-huh.  I talking about consumption predominantly from foreign sources.  As time goes by, those foreign sources own more and more of our money, and our landfills overflow with their junk.  And that's a good thing............how?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 12:19:21 PM »

uh-huh.  I talking about consumption predominantly from foreign sources.  As time goes by, those foreign sources own more and more of our money, and our landfills overflow with their junk.  And that's a good thing............how?

Well, if our over-regulated, over-litigated, and over-unionated industries ever have a chance to crawl out from under the umpteen thumbs holding them down they might be able to catch up. Until then, foreign-sourced products will be the rule of the day.
-HankB

Paddy

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 12:25:42 PM »
Well, if our over-regulated, over-litigated, and over-unionated industries ever have a chance to crawl out from under the umpteen thumbs holding them down they might be able to catch up. Until then, foreign-sourced products will be the rule of the day.

Translation: The country may be going to hell in a flaming handbasket, but by God, the corporate shareholders and executives will extract every last penny out of it in the meantime because its' the gubmint's fault.