Author Topic: Public Service Announcement on fruitcake  (Read 1032 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Public Service Announcement on fruitcake
« on: December 05, 2021, 10:25:28 AM »
It is that time of year that your local Wal-Mart is selling 10 ounce blocks of Claxton fruitcake for $ 2.68.  Buy some now and stock up the freezer so you can have fruitcake year round.  your local Costco may also be selling fruitcake in the bakery section, but I find it to be way too sweet for my taste.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
Re: Public Service Announcement on fruitcake
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 11:21:35 AM »
The Monks who run The Jampot in Eagle Harbor in the Keeweenau in da You Pee make their fruitcake with a very liberal dose of brandy.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 11:26:52 AM »
For years I made a semi-traditional plum pudding for Christmas. My parents loved it.

Horrendously time consuming to make -- 6 hours start to finish -- 2 hours of prep time and 4 hours of steaming.

The results were worth it, however.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 11:40:33 AM »
It is that time of year that your local Wal-Mart is selling 10 ounce blocks of Claxton fruitcake for $ 2.68.  Buy some now and stock up the freezer so you can have fruitcake year round.  your local Costco may also be selling fruitcake in the bakery section, but I find it to be way too sweet for my taste.

Claxton 3x16oz pack at Sam's for $9.98 for those with a Sam's membership.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 11:54:52 AM »
Claxton 3x16oz pack at Sam's for $9.98 for those with a Sam's membership.

It is times like this that I regret how Sam's pulled out of the PNW.  There are none left in Washington or Oregon, and the closest one in Idaho Falls is 800 miles away.  The news media at the time said they just could not compete with the market saturation by Costco in the PNW.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 11:58:19 AM »
It is times like this that I regret how Sam's pulled out of the PNW.  There are none left in Washington or Oregon, and the closest one in Idaho Falls is 800 miles away.

At one time I had both Sam's and Costco memberships. Found I went to Sam's way more for food so I dropped the Costco.
Getting ready to head out the door to Sam's at this very moment.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 12:05:16 PM »
Even at their height, Sam's had just three locations in Washington (Renton, Auburn and north Seattle) and they all closed literally overnight with no notice back in 2018.  It was part of a consolidation in which 63 stores across the country closed.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 12:29:15 PM »
I make fruit cakes on occasion. I have turned a few fruit cake haters into fruit cake tolerant. My problem is getting the fruit in mid-October. If I don't have the fruitcake made by Halloween so I can give a weekly sprinkle with brandy then it is too late. I may go to WM and see if they have any here. I try to stay away from there so the odds are slim I will get any this year. ;)

bob

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 08:23:14 AM »
The Monks who run The Jampot in Eagle Harbor in the Keeweenau in da You Pee make their fruitcake with a very liberal dose of brandy.

My Mother and I had a little Christmas tradition of taking thin slices of fruitcake and dousing them with rum to make them wet squishy and very alcoholic before consuming.

I suggest trying it.
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 09:04:15 AM »
My mom has a very good fruitcake recipe that just has candied cherries, pineapple, and lots of pecans in it.  She adds some dried fruits, like raisins, diced apricots and prunes, etc.  No citrus.  She used to send me one for Christmas every years.  About 20 years ago she sent the recipe instead :D

I have another non-traditional fruitcake recipe that uses the cheap citrus-heavy fruitcake mix, apricots, and chocolate chips.  It is baked more like a quick-bread instead of a cake.  It's called Bishop's Bread. (Bischofsbrot)  I don't know whose tradition it is, but it's a keeper.
"It's good, though..."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 09:30:19 AM »

This is by far the best fruitcake I've ever had. So boozy and rich and so heavy it felt like picking up a brick.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 11:07:12 AM »
^^^https://poorrockabbey.com/

All sales are temporarily suspended as the monastery makes funeral arrangements for their Hegumen.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 11:12:28 AM »
Even at their height, Sam's had just three locations in Washington (Renton, Auburn and north Seattle) and they all closed literally overnight with no notice back in 2018.  It was part of a consolidation in which 63 stores across the country closed.

We (Louisville) have three Sam's in the area, two in town with another one just across the river.
Two Costcos in town.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 11:27:18 AM »
Do fruitcake bricks make decent targets? 

Just asking.  Maybe just something to set next to a tanerite container.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 11:40:28 AM »
Do fruitcake bricks make decent targets? 

Just asking.  Maybe just something to set next to a tanerite container.

They're not biodegradable.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2021, 11:45:49 AM »
They're not biodegradable.
Good to know.  I have a quart sized tanerite container that was a gift from a couple years back.  Figured I would set it between a couple of 1 gallon jugs and see what that does.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2021, 11:55:33 AM »
You know I'm joking right?
But then again I didn't google "is fruitcake biodegradable?" so fruitcake bricks may not be.  :rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2021, 12:29:03 PM »
You know I'm joking right?
But then again I didn't google "is fruitcake biodegradable?" so fruitcake bricks may not be.  :rofl:
I assumed, but I don't eat fruitcake so......

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2021, 07:26:06 PM »
Uh... Why?

Santa likes egg nog.

Santa does NOT like fruitcake left as midnight offerings.
Blog under construction

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 09:57:16 AM »
Hmm, I bet a 10 oz. fruitcake could be shaved into the proper shape and it would be pretty close to the 6 ounce weight of a regulation hockey puck.  Coincidence? I think not.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2021, 09:59:35 AM »
Stacks of fruitcake bricks being reported around various cities
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2021, 10:02:35 AM »
Tastykake a Pennsylvania-based snack food company know (and quite frankly revered in the Mid Atlantic) for its snack cakes, occasionally brings out a limited edition Fruit Kake (yep, that's how it's spelled) around the holidays.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.