Author Topic: Iran has blueprints to Marine One  (Read 9168 times)

Regolith

• friend
Iran has blueprints to Marine One
« on: March 02, 2009, 07:20:08 AM »
Short story:  Some idjit in Bethesda who works for a contractor that presumably services the presidential helicopter fleet downloaded a file sharing program without realizing the security risks.  The blueprint for the helicopter and its avionics packages were on that computer's hard drive, and were subsequently downloaded by a computer at an IP address that was located in Iran. 

A Pennsylvania company that monitors peer-to-peer file-sharing networks discovered a potentially serious security breach involving President Obama's helicopter, Marine One, WPXI-TV in Pittsburgh reported.

Sensitive information about Marine One was reportedly found by Tiversa employees at an IP address in Tehran.

Tiversa CEO Bob Boback said a defense contractor in Bethesda, Md., had a file sharing program on one of their systems that contained highly sensitive blueprints for Marine One and financial information about the cost of the helicopter.

"We found a file containing entire blueprints and avionics package for Marine One," Boback said.

Boback said the issue most likely stemmed from someone downloading the file-sharing program without realizing the problems that could result.

"When downloading one of these file-sharing programs, you are effectively allowing others around the world to access your hard drive," Boback told WPXI.

"We found where this information came from. We know exactly what computer it came from. I'm sure that person is embarrassed and may even lose their job, but we know where it came from and we know where it went," Retired Gen. Wesley Clark, an adviser to Tiversa, told WPXI.

I can't say I particularly like Obama or most of his policies, but that doesn't mean I wish ill to his physical well being.  I hope the security breach isn't as bad as it sounds.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:43:29 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Iran has blueprints to Marine One
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 07:37:49 AM »
http://www.wicz.com/news2005/viewarticle.asp?a=8336

Lockheed Contract Under Review
2/24/2009

President Obama wants a review of the VH-71 program contracted to Lockheed Martin in Owego.  The program would manufacture 28 helicopters for the president's Marine One fleet.

"The helicopter I have now seems perfectly adequate to me.  Of course, I've never had a helicopter before," said the president on Monday.

A navy official says one of the main reasons a stop-work order was placed on the project was because the budget has ballooned by 50%, so instead of costing $6.1 billion the project is now expected to be around $11.2 billion.

Lockheed said in a statement today:  "We are committed to the program's success and are confident we can deliver the required number of helicopters compliant with the specifications that emerge from the ongoing review."

Lets see.....New contract for helicopters is in danger....plans are leaked for the current fleet....hhhhmmmm
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:41:41 AM »
Heh.  I'd remembered that they were thinking about replacing the current fleet, but I didn't draw that connection.

My anti-conspiracy reflex is kicking in and doubting they could be that nefarious, but who knows...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 07:44:56 AM »
Heh.  I'd remembered that they were thinking about replacing the current fleet, but I didn't draw that connection.

My anti-conspiracy reflex is kicking in and doubting they could be that nefarious, but who knows...

One thing our elected officials do well is leak classified information for their own ends.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 08:34:54 AM »
6.1 to 11 billion is a 50 percent increase?  I love reporter-math. :)
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 10:59:58 AM »

Rahm can ride on the outside.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 11:06:04 AM »
Lets see.....New contract for helicopters is in danger....plans are leaked for the current fleet....hhhhmmmm
Stop reading my mind dammit!  :mad:

:laugh:

Avoid cliches like the plague!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 12:00:28 PM »
The helicopter I have now seems perfectly adequate to me.  Of course, I've never had a helicopter before," said the president on Monday.

He's arriving at the wrong conclusion for the right reasons. The Vh-71 program is one long slow motion train wreck of inter-species erotica. Like a goat and a camel. That said he needs a new helicopter, the VH-3 is pretty old. I fixed VH-3As, they are excellent aircraft, I love and miss them but a little update couldn't hurt.

On the basis of presidential survival, if you're going to get in a helicopter crash the H-3 is a good one, over the years it didn't have the lowest mishap rate but it had the lowest fatality rate. Pretty crashable. Hopefully they will go buy a new fleet of S-92s or similar and kill the VH-71 mess.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 12:06:44 PM »
Hopefully they will go buy a new fleet of S-92s or similar and kill the VH-71 mess.

You know Obama is going to order Eurocopters... :rolleyes:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »
You know Obama is going to order Eurocopters... :rolleyes:

As much as I enjoy a good O-bashing.....the  Eurocopters were ordered under the Bush Administration. 
But hey, facts get in the way of a good rant, eh?
 =D
JD

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 01:29:10 PM »
...one long slow motion train wreck of inter-species erotica. Like a goat and a camel.

:O  We have met the Master Word-smith, and he is French G.  [Bows in respect.]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 05:10:54 PM »
What do you expect when you allow people who have no responsibility for doing it to specify the requirements for it? This was an impossible program from the moment A. Card issued the "do it now" command. And it should die a quick death so we can start over.

Prime contractor: Lockheed-Martin headquartered in Bethesda.
Source of leak: a defense contractor in Bethesda.
Ohbytheway advisor to that contractor: Gen (ret) Wesley Clark.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 07:36:11 PM »
:O  We have met the Master Word-smith, and he is French G.  [Bows in respect.]

Aww come on, what's the reference?  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 07:53:30 PM »
Uh.  "We have met the enemy and they are ours."  I think.  Something famous said by someone famous.  I forget the details.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 09:31:42 PM »
Uh.  "We have met the enemy and they are ours."  I think.  Something famous said by someone famous.  I forget the details.

Off the top of my head, I think it was Oliver Hazard Perry at one or another of the battles on the Great Lakes during the War of 1812.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 09:40:47 PM »
We have met the enemy and he is us.

----- Pogo

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 10:30:09 PM »
I can't say I particularly like Obama or most of his policies, but that doesn't mean I wish ill to his physical well being. 

Besides, it would be a real shame to outsource that job to Iran.   =D :angel:

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 10:38:13 PM »
The Vh-71 program is one long slow motion train wreck of inter-species erotica. Like a goat and a camel.

Are we talking about real goats and camels?....or are we back to the furry talk again?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 11:10:35 PM »
We have met the enemy and he is us.

----- Pogo

Pretty close. I think it was actually "We have met the enemy and they is us," or it might have been, "We has met the enemy and them is us." I know it was plural -- either "they" or "them."

I wouldn't mind if this disqualified Lockheed-Marietta. IMHO the only place we should be buying whirlybirds for El Presidente is Sikorsky.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 11:16:29 PM »
Walt Kelly first used the quote "We Have Met The Enemy and He Is Us" on a poster for Earth Day in 1970. The poster is shown above. In 1971, he did a two panel version with Pogo and Porky in a trash filled swamp. This is the only example I know of with a balloon, indicating Pogo responding to Porky with "YEP, SON, WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY AND HE IS US." In 1972, it was the title of a book, Pogo: We Have Met the Enemy and He Is Us. OGPI had the version shown to the right produced for the Waycross, Georgia Pogofest in 1998 as a brass plate on a wooden plaque.

From a biographical website on Walt Kelly, the creator of Pogo.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 11:34:50 PM »
Are we talking about real goats and camels?....or are we back to the furry talk again?....

Both
Look, tiny text!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 11:46:15 PM »
On the basis of presidential survival, if you're going to get in a helicopter crash the H-3 is a good one, over the years it didn't have the lowest mishap rate but it had the lowest fatality rate. Pretty crashable. Hopefully they will go buy a new fleet of S-92s or similar and kill the VH-71 mess.

Wanna hear something amusing?   If they buy S92's and such a leak as detailed above occurs, I will be the person held responsible.

Why do I have a feeling that I'm about to have a microscope jammed up my rear end tomorrow...

Prime contractor: Lockheed-Martin headquartered in Bethesda.
Source of leak: a defense contractor in Bethesda.
Ohbytheway advisor to that contractor: Gen (ret) Wesley Clark.

Sigh...  I need a cigarette.  I was in Kosovo.  Clark is not one of my favorite people.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 12:04:42 AM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 12:27:33 AM »
From Britannica.com
"We have met the enemy and they are ours-two ships, two brigs, one schooner, and one sloop." This was the famous victory dispatch of Oliver Hazard Perry after his fleet defeated the British on Lake Erie during the War of 1812.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 01:57:06 AM »
Iran has blueprints to Marine One

Good.

Maybe they can build it on time and under budget.  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 09:37:27 AM »
Good.

Maybe they can build it on time and under budget.  ;)

Pure win!
JD