Author Topic: Zone Alarm?  (Read 15649 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Zone Alarm?
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2009, 01:38:40 PM »
Turned off or physically unplugged from the power?

Most PCs these days keep their ethernet connections alive through a standby feed from the power supply, even when the machines are "turned off".  (They're not really turned off, but drawing even less than Standby Mode) 

It keeps their IP addresses assigned for DHCP, enables Wake-On-Lan, etc.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2009, 01:40:04 PM »
Turned off or physically unplugged from the power?

Most PCs these days keep their ethernet connections alive through a standby feed from the power supply, even when the machines are "turned off".  (They're not really turned off, but drawing even less than Standby Mode) 

It keeps their IP addresses assigned for DHCP, enables Wake-On-Lan, etc.

Powered off but plugged in. It's a laptop if that makes a difference.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2009, 01:49:54 PM »
Check the ip addresses on both computers, if it doesn't match, you have someone on your wifi.

You said you changed the password, but is that the admin password or the "just get connected" password?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2009, 02:02:01 PM »
Are you using any type of security other than just changing the SSID or disabling SSID broadcast?  How about a MAC ID filter?  Did you enable WPA or WPA2 security?

Is your head spinning yet?   :angel:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2009, 02:20:49 PM »
Methinks he may have a camper sitting on his WiFi, too.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2009, 02:24:34 PM »
Unless said camper is trying to access his computer, ZA wouldn't care.  That's why it would be helpful to know what sort of access ZA is blocking.

Chris

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2009, 03:12:59 PM »
That depends on what ZA deems to be "access", which depends on how helpful ZA want to appear to be.

Does ZA alert on all the odd networky things that windows does, like announce file shares or poll on who has file shares setup?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2009, 03:16:57 PM »
Back when I was using ZA, which was a few years ago, it would alert on everything Windows did until you hit "accept" on each thing.  It was pretty dumb and you basically had to train it.  I don't know if it's any better about that.

FWIW, ZA on my corporate laptop whined a few times because other Windows systems on the same subnet were polling for a domain master browser once. 

Chris

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2009, 03:30:26 PM »
That depends on what ZA deems to be "access", which depends on how helpful ZA want to appear to be.

Does ZA alert on all the odd networky things that windows does, like announce file shares or poll on who has file shares setup?

Nope, and it's just recently started this. I'll screenshot it when I get home.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2009, 03:35:36 PM »
This doesn't sound good.

Time to start probing that machine for open shares/ports/services!   =)

(Yes, I have done that, and yes - I have found someone's completed tax return PDF on a publicly accessible share this way...  :O)

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »
It appears that Zone Alarm has some serious issues with Windows Vista. I wonder how it will work and play with Windows 7 ??
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

KPT

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2009, 12:01:02 AM »
The "little cable thingy" on top of the TV is what I'm referring to as a "set top box".  Dunno about Comcast, but in FIOS, that little box gets its on IP address and likes to talk to the network.  It might be that box and that chatter that is so worrying to ZoneAlarm.  Or, it might be something else.  Who knows.  What does ZA say about the traffic?  What protocol, etc?

The cable box and cable modem are completely separate entities. They can't communicate with each other.

I'm not familiar with FIOS. Do the set top boxes plug into your router/switch/whatever?

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2009, 02:29:28 PM »
The cable box and cable modem are completely separate entities. They can't communicate with each other.

I'm not familiar with FIOS. Do the set top boxes plug into your router/switch/whatever?

The fiber comes into a box in your house.  From there it gets converted to coax cable and goes to what resembles a cable modem/wifi/router combo.  I don't know how the TV hooks up, I assume the COAX splits off to the TV but I could be wrong.
Charles Babbage