Author Topic: ZOMG Zombie! For real. Honest. Well, sorta.  (Read 3317 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
ZOMG Zombie! For real. Honest. Well, sorta.
« on: July 26, 2011, 06:48:26 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/25/man-wakes-after-21-hours-in-morgue-fridge_n_908886.html?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl2%7Csec3_lnk2%7C220055

JOHANNESBURG — A South African man awoke to find himself in a morgue fridge – nearly a day after his family thought he had died, a health official said Monday.

Health department spokesman Sizwe Kupelo said the man awoke Sunday afternoon, 21 hours after his family called in an undertaker who sent him to the morgue after an asthma attack.

"I couldn't believe it!" Maqolo said. "I was also scared. But they are my employees and I had to show them I wasn't scared, so I called the police."

After police arrived, the group entered the morgue together.

"I was glad they had their firearms, in case something wanted to fight with us," Maqolo said.

Man gets checked out at hospital and is sent home to where family is discussing funeral plans.  Absolutely no mention of a change from a wake to a welcome home from the dead party.

This, folks, is why you drive a stake through their heart and cut off the head.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: ZOMG Zombie! For real. Honest. Well, sorta.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
No, this is why you don't go to the hospital in a 3rd world craphole.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:38:03 AM »
There can be only one.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:52:39 AM »
One strong, although not absolute common thread in these resurrection stories is cold temperatures.

All the various medical groups hot on the trail of cryotherapy, induced hypothermia etc. are definitely onto something. IIRC, Russia/Former USSR did a lot with open heart surgery without needing bypass machines using forced cooling of the patient.

I promise not to duck.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 04:20:26 PM »
No, this is why you don't go to the hospital in a 3rd world craphole.

Chris

He died (or so they thought) at home.  No mention of any doctor attending.  Called the undertaker who checked for a pulse & respiration.  None being found, the body was sent to the morgue for holding pending formal rites.

Nothing about going to the 3rd world craphole hospital for any other reason.

So I guess you'd rather they a) hold the body at the local meat market cooler, or b) just stash it outside?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 04:37:55 PM »
I guess it would be better for him to wake up in a coffin, eh?

I don't know about the third world, but the first world, prior to developing modern medical tests for death, devised other means to avoid burying people alive.  This guy got lucky the undertaker was behind that day. ;)

Chris

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 05:08:14 PM »
One strong, although not absolute common thread in these resurrection stories is cold temperatures.

All the various medical groups hot on the trail of cryotherapy, induced hypothermia etc. are definitely onto something. IIRC, Russia/Former USSR did a lot with open heart surgery without needing bypass machines using forced cooling of the patient.

AJ, we actually induce hypothermia in patients post cardiac arrest. It is shown to significantly reduce their deficits on discharge   (that is, presuming they don't code again). 

Also, cold water drownings are a big source of these types of cases as well.  Our rule is, they aren't dead until they're *warm* and dead.  And since we don't do active rewarming in the field, we let the hospital determine what warm and dead is.

The caveat is that the water has to be *COLD*.  Less than 40 degrees F.  I'm actually looking at some notes I took on this earlier this year....  The longest recorded survival for a cold water drowning is 66 minutes, the longest drowning with absolutely no neurological deficits was 41 minutes (kid fell through ice).  That is time submerged in the water!

The theory behind it is that mild hypothermia is believed to be a neuroprotective mechanism.  It slows down the metabolism so stores of glucose and oxygen are not consumed as quickly.

The same general principle applies to induced hypothermia post resuscitation.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 06:07:17 PM »
Our rule is, they aren't dead until they're *warm* and dead.  And since we don't do active rewarming in the field, we let the hospital determine what warm and dead is.

Sometimes, they're only "mostly dead"  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Regolith

• friend
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth