Author Topic: ZOMG! You paid $549 for a gun!  (Read 4800 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
ZOMG! You paid $549 for a gun!
« on: December 31, 2015, 12:23:43 AM »
I recently paid $549 for an AR15, minus the $450 I sold my Mini 14 for, for a total of $100.My wife has a *expletive deleted*it hemorrhage that I paid $549 (equalling paying $100 for an AR) and just thinks it's ridiculous I paid that much for a gun. Last year she bought herself a necklace costing $1000 and just giggled about it. I guess I am just a dolt to not understand how the female mind works.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: ZOMG! You paid $549 for a gun!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 12:33:44 AM »
You told her that's cheap for a rifle, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 12:35:01 AM »
You told her that's cheap for a rifle, right?

Yes I did.  She doesn't understand.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 12:35:15 AM »
I'm really glad my girlfriend isn't into jewelry.
You only paid $549? What did you get for that low?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 12:38:14 AM »
I'm really glad my girlfriend isn't into jewelry.
You only paid $549? What did you get for that low?
DPMS Oracle AR 15 in 5.56. Great deal!

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 01:32:32 AM »
Yes I did.  She doesn't understand.
Start by reminding her that retail markup on firearms is 10-20%, retail markup on jewelry is 300%, giggle and walk away.
Increase defense incrementally as needed with appropriate offensiveness.
Make it hard for her to mention it.
Sometimes in mariage, you ned to dig in and win.  This is that time.
7-11 was a part time job.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 02:23:11 AM »
My wife doesn't get it either. Particularly mags and ammo. She doesn't like when I bring up the amount of friggin yarn she buys and never uses.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 07:13:53 AM »
My wife gets more pissed I bought another firearm instead of taking her away for the weekend somewhere. I always anytime anywhere, but you have to have approximately half the cost of the weekend in cash before we leave. She likes to spend money so she never does.

We are planning a trip to Europe for two weeks for Sept of 2017, figure it is going to cost $4k per person for the trip. She knows if she doesn't have $4k saved up, I'm taking the trip alone.

Also we have separate banking accounts and pay spate bills, only way I can save any money.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 08:47:07 AM »
I recently paid $549 for an AR15, minus the $450 I sold my Mini 14 for, for a total of $100.My wife has a *expletive deleted*it hemorrhage that I paid $549 (equalling paying $100 for an AR) and just thinks it's ridiculous I paid that much for a gun. Last year she bought herself a necklace costing $1000 and just giggled about it. I guess I am just a dolt to not understand how the female mind works.

My wife has some odd and unrealistic notions of how much stuff costs.  Lately I've been in a "sell one buy one" mode, anyway.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 09:22:31 AM »
It's been a while since I paid that little for a gun.  The problem is the stuff left that I want is the expensive/hard to find stuff.

One day I'm going to stumble across a Model 6 Unica  while I have cash. That will be a fun purchase to explain to Mrs. Mush.  "I know you wanted a new car, but this is the gun from The Ghost in the Shell!"

$550 for an AR? Pft! Buy another and tell her you'll sell it for $1500 the next time Obama's Telepromter sneezes.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 09:52:36 AM »
$550 for an AR? Pft! Buy another and tell her you'll sell it for $1500 the next time Obama's Telepromter sneezes.
No kidding.  I am tempted to do the same myself.  I know the AR I built right after the AWB sunsetted netted me a nice profit when Obama was elected in 2008.  However, I also feel like folks are a bit burned out on that cycle considering there was virtually no panic buying after the last shooting.  I'd hate to tie up money in guns I didn't like just in case people panicked and starting paying stupid prices for them.

My wife has some odd and unrealistic notions of how much stuff costs.  Lately I've been in a "sell one buy one" mode, anyway.
I'm lucky regarding my wife and guns.  She's not into them and she'll tease me about buying a new one, but she understands they have a market value most hobbies don't and that I can usually flip a gun for my cost or even a nice profit.  The AR I mentioned above?  I sold it for enough to buy a new CZ 20g SxS shotgun, a S&W M17 (before the prices got stupid) AND a new piece of furniture for the house.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 10:00:09 AM »
I suppose rolling your eyes and suggesting she retake 3rd grade math is a bad idea?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 10:08:55 AM »
I suppose rolling your eyes and suggesting she retake 3rd grade math is a bad idea?

Thats what I'm talking about!
7-11 was a part time job.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 11:57:15 AM »

Brad

I guffawed!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 12:35:19 PM »

Challenge her to a duel; you bring the rifle and she brings the necklace.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 01:49:59 PM »

Almost 2 months ago I popped $2200 for a freaking camera lens.
My wife didn't make a sound about it......................till she chewed through the duct tape...

Seriously, if the bills are paid, the obligatory savings deposits are made and the rainy day fund is at an acceptable level we take turns with our extravagant toys.
Kids long married off and no mortgage helps with refilling the toy kitty much faster.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 06:07:02 PM »
Lolz. I spent almost $1800 on rifles last week an nobody bitched at me.  =D
The downside is that divorce was pretty expensive.
My view from the outside looking in with 20/20 hindsight- get help with reestablishing financial rules. If I were to do things over again, I would keep separate accounts, there can be way too much back and forth fighting over relatively minor spending items or can be symptoms of a much bigger problem.  :old:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 07:16:31 PM »
I must have the "good wife".

I bought her a performance shop 642 last week for her birthday/Christmas present and she was overjoyed......

Said it was the best present she had ever gotten.

OTOH, after 19 years of jewelry, she probably needed a change     :rofl:
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 10:40:35 PM »
Lolz. I spent almost $1800 on rifles last week an nobody bitched at me.  =D
The downside is that divorce was pretty expensive.
My view from the outside looking in with 20/20 hindsight- get help with reestablishing financial rules. If I were to do things over again, I would keep separate accounts, there can be way too much back and forth fighting over relatively minor spending items or can be symptoms of a much bigger problem.  :old:

^^^^^This.  The way I supported my shooting/gun habit was by scrounging brass and shotgun hulls from my club. Fortunately I had kids to help with the scrounging, sorting, bagging and boxing.  Brass I couldn't sell on-line or to a few guys that sold brass/reloads at gun shows, got sold to the scrappers.  Hulls and brass were good for about $100 a week  I also had about 12-15 tire stores that I got lead wheel weights from and a guy that cast and sold bullets online and would pay market price for the 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights I sell him.       That became "my money"  to pay for hunting, shooting, and guns.   However, it came to end when the lead guy came to the house and she saw him give me over $500 cash for the wheel weights I had collected for the month.   Once she saw  :O :O  how much I was making, suddenly "my" money, became "our" money and now had to go into the joint checking account to pay bills.  It wasn't until after the divorce that I was able to buy a gun.  Then Illinois outlawed lead wheel weights and and those sources dried up.  Lead prices have gone up so there's no real savings in reloading shotgun hulls, so the demand for hulls has fallen way off.  (That and everyone now picks up their hulls and puts them in the trash barrels at the club.)  And everyone picks up their brass at the range (except steel case and .22) so there's nothing to scrounge.

But it was nice while it lasted...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 04:30:42 PM »
So who did you sell a mini-14 to for $450?  That seems low. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 06:19:57 PM »
Ms. MillCreek and I, this being marriage 3.0 for both of us, have a joint checking account for the household mortgage and expenses, a joint savings account for vacations, etc. and we both have our own separate checking/savings accounts that we carefully do not commingle with the joint accounts.  Under Washington divorce law, commingled assets become joint assets subject to division.

We each pay $ 1500/month into the joint checking and $ 300 per month into the joint savings.  We make large joint purchases by mutual decision and how we spend our separate accounts is up to us.  She likes new clothes and boots and I like motorcycles and bicycles.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2016, 02:35:52 AM »
I have very little money for guns.  But I also have 4 kids, the youngest of which is still in diapers, and the oldest of which has more than a year to go before she's a teenager.  Another 10 years and things will be very different financially.

Thankfully my FIL has guns that he is parsing out as he gets too old to want to shoot them anymore.  There's a .17HMR he wants to send our way for the kids to shoot.  Hopefully his pre-64 M70 Featherweight (.270) will get here before Thing 2 passes Hunter Safety.  I only have 2 hunting rifles, and could well need 3 in a couple more years.  I don't mind carrying the 9.3x62mm even during deer season if that means the kids have more reasonable calibers available.
Formerly sumpnz

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2016, 07:04:51 AM »
Ms. MillCreek and I, this being marriage 3.0 for both of us, have a joint checking account for the household mortgage and expenses, a joint savings account for vacations, etc. and we both have our own separate checking/savings accounts that we carefully do not commingle with the joint accounts.  Under Washington divorce law, commingled assets become joint assets subject to division.

We each pay $ 1500/month into the joint checking and $ 300 per month into the joint savings.  We make large joint purchases by mutual decision and how we spend our separate accounts is up to us.  She likes new clothes and boots and I like motorcycles and bicycles.
We haven't gone to separate accounts but when I do the ledger there is money marked off for me and for the wife. We learned pretty fast that just having joint spending cash led to a lot of one or the other of us getting shorted and saving up for something was a bitch.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2016, 07:24:40 AM »
My wife & I maintain separate accounts, but we do have a joint account for house-related expenses (taxes, repairs, etc.) that we both contribute to. We also split the bills. As long as the bills get paid & the kid gets fed, we do with my he rest as we wish...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 11:13:32 PM »
So who did you sell a mini-14 to for $450?  That seems low. 

I sold it to one of my best friends. I paid $340 for it many years ago and I couldn't see profiteering off of him, so I sold it for cost plus the price of the magazines that went with it. He is one of my 2 best friends and I priced it accordingly.