Author Topic: Zoo kills gorilla, people outraged  (Read 24271 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Zoo kills gorilla, people outraged
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2016, 07:58:50 PM »
In the last few days, I've seen three kids who couldn't have been over 12 playing completely unattended on the rocks at the edge of the *very* storm-swollen Bosque River at around 10:30PM in a closed section of the park, and a kid who might have been 5 riding a scooter down a residential street for at least three blocks just before rush hour.  No parents in sight, nor any indication the parents think there's anything wrong with it.  There have been a few parents taken to task over the years about turning their <10 year old kids loose in the park and leaving.  Their argument is always that it's a park, so it's supposed to be safe.  I can't imagine what would constitute a looser rein for these kids.

Let me help then.

When I was 10, my parents would routinely (as in several times a week) but me on a sled behind three trained husky's and turn me loose for a 6 mile run.  The trail was a loop, but there were longer ones, and if I took a wrong turn (as I did once or twice) 20-25 miles was available.  A couple wrong turns took me into several hundred square miles of military reservation with maybe live/maybe not ranges.  By the time I was the 12 years old of your river watchers it was reasonably routine for my mom to drop me and my dogs (5-8 by now) off Sat morning in the 23,000 sqmi Mat-Su Valley with a predetermined pick up spot and time  (Sun afternoon 80 or so miles away from the start).  This was pre cell phone, pre-PLB, pre-affordable handheld GPS. I had a USGS map and surplus lensatic compass.  Now I will admit that my Mom had a pretty dang loose rein, even for then, but perhaps if we taught kids to take care of themselves as early as possible, they'd move out before their age started with a "3".

On the gorilla and kid, don't know enough about mom and kid.  Kids can be pretty sneaky at getting what they want and carpeing their diem.  Maybe she was negligent, maybe her kid is smart.  Maybe both.  Doesn't really matter in anything but the finger pointing.  Once the kid was in the custody of the ape, and the ape didn't give him right up, there was only one outcome, and the zoo did the right thing.  Sometimes the right thing sucks.  Kid vs. Gorilla?  Seriously, Kid every time.  If it was Kanye vs. Gorilla there might be some question but not a 4 YO.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2016, 08:45:58 PM »
If it was Kanye vs. Gorilla there might be some question but not a 4 YO.
What about a 4yo Kanye with your full understanding of what he would become?

Chris

Neemi

• friend
Re:
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »
I'll have to dig up the link, but an eyewitness account says that a mom was looking for her kid and the witnesses' husband realized the kid had scrambled into the enclosure and before anyone could catch him he fell into the moat. Multiple people tried to grab him. People had to restrain mom from jumping in after him.

Before that, the mom had had a hold of the kid and was taking a photo of family members. The kid wrenched and ran, with mom hot on his heels before he dove into the bushes and into the enclosure. The eyewitness was calling 911 as the kid fell in.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Neemi

• friend
Re:
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2016, 09:08:34 PM »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2016, 09:42:04 PM »

Chris

Oh, looky there!  The gorilla's playing with a doll. Let's go see what's in that exhibit over there.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2016, 09:51:23 PM »

Chris

I'm pretty sure that gorilla would never again pay for a drink in his long, long life.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2016, 08:46:25 AM »
So basically, another unarmed 17 year old African-American senselessly gunned down.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2016, 09:41:46 AM »
My friend the zookeeper actually is being argued with on her facebook page. She has worked with the great apes for nearly two decades. I would not be surprised if she actually cried when she heard this story, she loves the apes that much.

Here are some quotes from her page. She has been gently trying not to offend her idiot friends who are saying "they should have used a tranquilizer", "the gorilla was protecting the child", "no animal should die due to human stupidity" etc.

"I IMPLORE YOU, if you are bringing small children to the zoo be vigilant! Watch over them as though they are precious treasures among wild animals because that is exactly what they are."

"I wish tranquilizers worked as fast in real life as they do on TV. I completely understand and support their decision. And weep for their loss."

"Silverbacks have bitten children before, and the bites can be life threatening. Immobilizing Harambe would have taken an extremely long time. Best case scenario would be 15 minutes, but since he was in full display mode and his adrenaline was spiked it could take 30+ if he went down at all. Not to mention that he would get pissed when the dart hit him. Terribly sad all the way around."
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2016, 10:01:27 AM »
My friend the zookeeper actually is being argued with on her facebook page. She has worked with the great apes for nearly two decades. I would not be surprised if she actually cried when she heard this story, she loves the apes that much.

Here are some quotes from her page. She has been gently trying not to offend her idiot friends who are saying "they should have used a tranquilizer", "the gorilla was protecting the child", "no animal should die due to human stupidity" etc.

Way back in the 70's, I took a tour of the Cincinnati Zoo with my Cub Scouts group.  This was before the exhibit in question was built.  They had a massive silverback in an enclosure with bars.  I will never forget watching this gorilla put his hand around two bars and squeeze them together, bent like they were nothing more than playdoh.  So, you dart this guy, he gets pissed, and squeezes the kid's head like that gorilla squeezed the bars...  bet the SJW's be attacking the zoo for not shooting the gorilla, and saving the child from the killer beast.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2016, 10:04:13 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2016, 10:07:51 AM »
That gorilla cost them a fortune and they've lost an incredible amount of revenue by killing him.

If there was a way to save the gorilla believe me they would have done that instead.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2016, 11:34:11 AM »
When I was 10, my parents would routinely (as in several times a week) but me on a sled behind three trained husky's and turn me loose for a 6 mile run.  The trail was a loop, but there were longer ones, and if I took a wrong turn (as I did once or twice) 20-25 miles was available.  A couple wrong turns took me into several hundred square miles of military reservation with maybe live/maybe not ranges.  By the time I was the 12 years old of your river watchers it was reasonably routine for my mom to drop me and my dogs (5-8 by now) off Sat morning in the 23,000 sqmi Mat-Su Valley with a predetermined pick up spot and time  (Sun afternoon 80 or so miles away from the start).  This was pre cell phone, pre-PLB, pre-affordable handheld GPS. I had a USGS map and surplus lensatic compass.  Now I will admit that my Mom had a pretty dang loose rein, even for then, but perhaps if we taught kids to take care of themselves as early as possible, they'd move out before their age started with a "3".

I had free run of a few hundred acres of our land, and hundreds more of the (mostly extended family) neighbors' land by the time I was 7, but there's a big difference between open wilderness and turning a kid loose in the city park and leaving for several hours.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2016, 12:02:03 PM »
A real man would have just shot the gun kid out of his hands.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   :rofl:

That probably shouldn't be that funny, but it is. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2016, 12:03:58 PM »
That gorilla cost them a fortune and they've lost an incredible amount of revenue by killing him.

If there was a way to save the gorilla believe me they would have done that instead.

No, they were just waiting for some white kid to get into the enclosure, so they could gleefully murder a gorilla. Those NRA sickos...

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2016, 12:55:57 PM »

No, they were just waiting for some white kid to get into the enclosure, so they could gleefully murder a gorilla. Those NRA sickos...

Thing is the kid was black.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2016, 01:09:04 PM »

Don't try to confuse the issue with your hatefacts.
"It's good, though..."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2016, 01:10:10 PM »
He just got dirty when he fell into the enclosure.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2016, 01:15:18 PM »
I weighed in as "not sure".

Dammit, I wanted to be Secretary of the Interior in the Trump Administration.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2016, 01:24:04 PM »
Ok, I didn't read all 3 pages of this, so if this is old info, sorry.   But it seems that several highly respected animal folks who handle large and dangerous animals are starting to chime in saying the zoo keepers had absolutely no other alternative to what was done.

The SJWs are having to eat crow...or is that a sin too?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2016, 01:25:09 PM »

Rainier Wolfcastle

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2016, 01:29:18 PM »
Ok, I didn't read all 3 pages of this, so if this is old info, sorry.   But it seems that several highly respected animal folks who handle large and dangerous animals are starting to chime in saying the zoo keepers had absolutely no other alternative to what was done.

The SJWs are having to eat crow...or is that a sin too?

Guffaw! You think they respond to facts?!  :rofl:  Being wrong about everything is just what they do.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2016, 05:22:13 PM »

This is one that drives me nuts.

The 100+ pound dogs I work with would protect me with everything they've got and love me. Yet I come home with bruises, scraps and all sorts of injuries on a daily freeking basis. Hell, my not even 2 pound kitten can put a hurting on my without even trying.

It doesn't matter what the animals intentions are, a large animal can kill you just as easily with love as it can with hate.

400 lb gorilla? I don't care how tame the damn thing seems or how friendly it acts, I'm not going in there with it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2016, 05:28:42 PM »
Hell, my not even 2 pound kitten can put a hurting on my without even trying.

This is why I've always wanted guard-trained bobcats.

A dog may bite your leg off, but a cat will climb you and eat your face.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2016, 06:04:15 PM »
Loonies holding a "vigil" for a gorilla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2mPPLyv1Jo

So a black kid's life is saved, and the white guy calls it a tragedy. Hmmmm. The usual suspects seem quiet about that.