Author Topic: Zoom Decor for Pseudo-Intellectuals  (Read 1178 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Zoom Decor for Pseudo-Intellectuals
« on: December 26, 2020, 06:00:54 PM »
This was extra funny to me, as I have of late been paying attention to backgrounds of interviewees on the various news and business shows. Since they are all "calling in" from home, they all seem to be taking extra steps to ensure their backgrounds make them look smart and trendy.

Anyway, this company rents books so that people can have full bookshelves in their Zoom backgrounds.  :laugh:

Capitalism is entertaining at times. :)

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/12/26/books-by-the-foot-helps-dress-up-washington-d-c-bookshelves-to-make-better-zoom-backdrops/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Zoom Decor for Pseudo-Intellectuals
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 06:33:50 PM »
I use a wrinkled bedsheet tacked to the wall.

What kind of rental background would a patient use for doing on-line medical exams?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 06:41:08 PM »
My son uses a green screen set up for his video game live stream thing that he does.
I think if I ever need to do a zoom call thing I'll borrow him and set myself up with the bridge of the Enterprise NCC-1701 as a backdrop.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 06:45:53 PM »
My son uses a green screen set up for his video game live stream thing that he does.
I think if I ever need to do a zoom call thing I'll borrow him and set myself up with the bridge of the Enterprise NCC-1701 as a backdrop.

Complete with that annoying constant background of the ship's computer bididdle be beep?   And who you gonna get to play Uhuru?  (If I'm thinking of the right Trekky canon.)

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 06:51:21 PM »
I didn't think my contempt could reach the level it has.

(To clarify, contempt for the poseurs using rented books for status.)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 07:58:02 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 06:52:52 PM »
I identify with this background:

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 07:44:37 PM »
I am reminded of the law firms that do interviews or client press conferences with a backdrop of the bound case reporters behind them.  No one has actually cracked one of those books in decades.  We all use digital searching by Lexis-Nexis or Westlaw now, but the books look impressive.

PS: My Zoom background is a shot of the LEM, Lunar Rover and James Irwin saluting on the Moon during the Apollo 15 mission.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 10:17:11 PM »
PS: My Zoom background is a shot of the LEM, Lunar Rover and James Irwin saluting on the Moon during the Apollo 15 mission.

That is just flat awesome.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 10:21:00 PM »
^^^

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 10:53:58 PM »
This was extra funny to me, as I have of late been paying attention to backgrounds of interviewees on the various news and business shows. Since they are all "calling in" from home, they all seem to be taking extra steps to ensure their backgrounds make them look smart and trendy.

Anyway, this company rents books so that people can have full bookshelves in their Zoom backgrounds.  :laugh:

Why rent when you can own?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bookshelf+backdrops+for+photography&crid=24YRLHX3EU5QT&sprefix=Bookshelf+backdrops%2Caps%2C177&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_4_19
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 08:49:52 AM »
That is just flat awesome.

Yeah, that's a cool one. How did you set that up, Millcreek? I'm taking a "farming for idiots" class with the University extension next month, and on weather days we'll be zooming. It would be cool to set up a fun backdrop if it's not a big hassle.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 09:23:19 AM »
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/210707503-Virtual-Background

Back in the early days of the pandemic, we were using Zoom for both patient appointments and work meetings.  We still use Zoom for the patients, but for work, we switched over to Microsoft Teams.  I have a variety of backgrounds there as well. Probably my favorite Teams background is the ISS cupola, so I look as if I am floating in space: https://www.roomforzoom.com/zoom/ISS-Cupola-View-of-Earth-from-space-339

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 05:02:33 PM »
I'm surprised they use actual books. I figured they'd just use some kind of cardboard cut-out. I wonder if they buy new. Lots of used books available, and plus they might actually look like they've been read.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 05:23:28 PM »
I'm surprised they use actual books. I figured they'd just use some kind of cardboard cut-out. I wonder if they buy new. Lots of used books available, and plus they might actually look like they've been read.

culled library books are inexpensive.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2020, 05:31:51 PM »

I would assume they collect from thrift stores and wherever. The guy I goose hunt with is always dropping books off for me to read on military history that he gets from the Mormon used book store, and they all have $1 and $2 price tags on them.

Agree that used books would look more authentic, and at the price of new hardcover books, it doesn't seem profitable to buy new.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams