Author Topic: The Left and Plans for "Nuremberg-Style" Tribunals for Bush Administration Offic  (Read 3105 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
This is the way Republics die, dontcha know?

Julius Caesar was the most pro-Roman Republic influential man of his day: more so than Pompey, Brutus, & all other Roman big boys.  Yet he ended up tossing the Republic aside and relying instead on force of arms and personal loyalty.

Why was that (jfruser asks rhetorically)?  Because his enemies intended to use political/legal weapons & processes not to just push policy & interests, but to personally destroy him (death, imprisonment, etc.).  By turning policy/political differences into criminal offenses.

Making the personal political.  Criminalizing policy differences. 

Feast your eyes and hold back your gorge:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MjcxOTZiNzVhMTYzNmM4MGQ1ZDgwNmIzNzgwMDliYmI=

The Left and Plans for "Nuremberg-Style" Tribunals for Bush Administration Officials   [Byron York]

One thing that hasn't received much attention in conservative and Republicans circles is the ongoing conversation on the left about the possibility of Nuremberg-style war-crimes trials for members of the Bush administration should a Democratic president take office.  I'm not exaggerating or introducing the Nazi analogy myself; they actually use the phrase "Nuremberg-style" when they discuss "war-crimes tribunals." And they are quite serious (although the more moderate of them prefer a "truth commission.") 

At the Netroots Nation gathering in Austin, Texas last month  that is the successor to YearlyKos  Dahlia Lithwick, of the Washington-Post-owned website Slate, did an interview with the Talking Points Memo site in which she described a panel discussion she had just taken part in on what is known as the "first 100 days of accountability."  Among Lithwick's observations:

We're already falling into this trap of either positing Nuremberg-style war crimes tribunals, or nothing, immunizing everyone from John Yoo up and down&but everybody says there's a lot of gray area in between that, and that accountability doesn't necessarily mean Nuremberg, it doesn't necessarily mean nothing, it means possibly a truth commission, possibly appointing a special prosecutor to look at it&

Lithwick recommended a massive retrospective investigation of the Bush administration, going through every piece of paper, before moving forward:

Certainly long before we make a decision to do what Stuart Taylor suggested this week, which was immunize everybody in advance, or alternatively make a decision to trot them out before a war crimes tribunal before the whole world, we should really find out what happened&

But Lithwick recognized that there are those who argue such an action might be divisive:

We talked a lot about this notion that it's bad for America, that it will rip America apart if we have hearings or we have criminal trials or if we have war crimes tribunals.  And I think it's really worse for America if we don't&

I think the thing to emphasize here is that this is a serious conversation going on among people who might have influential voices or play influential roles in an Obama administration.  Many of them want to put John Yoo  a special favorite of theirs  on trial, whether before a Nuremberg-style tribunal, a criminal court, or a truth commission with as-yet unspecified powers.  And, of course, they wouldn't stop with Yoo; if they had their way, they would likely have a long list of former Bush administration officials to put in the dock.  They are serious.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
What happened to tolerance, forgiveness, harmonious uniting?

So now we are in the Age of Payback?

Before the Left starts playing tackle football, they should be very, very sure they have helmet and pads.  This is how civil wars begin.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend

So now we are in the Age of Payback?

Before the Left starts playing tackle football, they should be very, very sure they have helmet and pads.  This is how civil wars begin.
Good point.

Jimmy Carter effectively turned over sovereign American territory to an Iranian street gang and boosted Islamofascism, subverted Rhodesia and put Robert Mugabe in charge, allowed himself to be lobbied (via brother Billy) by Libya, and effectively green-lighted the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Since then, he's repeatedly worked to subvert US policies abroad. I doubt there's a statute of limitations on these treasonous actions, so if we're going after Bush, maybe we should take a close look at Jimmy, too.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
For that you have to either agree with them or be a 3rd world dictator who hates America. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
I can only assume that these particular people weren't out there complaining about the Patriot Act taking away the rights of Americans, because that would be some serious hypocrisy. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
Julius Caesar was the most pro-Roman Republic influential man of his day:

Are you sure about this? I just finished doing an assignment about Cicero and Pompey, and I read a whole pile of books where they are describing as the most pro-Republic officials of their time.

And frankly, I want to see Janet Reno in a glass box.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Eeew.  I don't want to see her at all.   Put her in a concrete box, so that her visage can't escape.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Eeew.  I don't want to see her at all.   Put her in a concrete box, so that her visage can't escape.

I refer to this article..

Note: The author is a capital-anarchist. I do not actually share his views.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner