Author Topic: "Stolen Valor" - the War Against Honor...?  (Read 6124 times)

longeyes

• friend
"Stolen Valor" - the War Against Honor...?
« on: August 18, 2010, 12:01:37 PM »
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/08/ap-military-stolen-valor-act-unconstitutional-again-081710/

Court again strikes down Stolen Valor Act
The Associated Press
Posted : Wednesday Aug 18, 2010 10:02:58 EDT
PASADENA, Calif. — A federal appeals court panel ruled Tuesday that people have a right to lie about receiving military medals, the second federal court decision in a month to go against the Stolen Valor Act.

Xavier Alvarez, who falsely claimed in 2007 to have received the Medal of Honor, challenged the law on appeal after he was charged with violating the act, which makes it a crime to falsely claim to have won a military medal.

Alvarez said the act is a violation of free-speech rights.

A panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals sided with Alvarez in a 2-1 decision.

The majority said there was no evidence that such lies harm anybody, and there is no compelling reason for the government to ban such lies.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles said it is deciding whether to appeal the ruling.

Another take:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerstein/0810/9th_Circuit_finds_a_right_to_lie.html
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: "Stolen Valor" - the War Against Honor...?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:26:35 PM »
Because LEOs are so much more important than military service members, it is understandable that while the former is illegal, the latter is trivial.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:54:27 PM »
Interesting comments at the end of the article.

Mainly about now they have opened the door to lie about anything, as long as no harm was done. :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 01:32:07 PM »
 :facepalm:  The ninth circus strikes AGAIN!  Good grief! LYING is protected by the first amendment!???!??!???!!!?!?!? 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 01:39:44 PM »
 ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 02:24:26 PM »

Mainly about now they have opened the door to lie about anything, as long as no harm was done. :facepalm:

The operative term seems to be as long as no harm was done.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 02:51:15 PM »
As abhorrent as it is that some people lie to gain honor and respect they have not earned, having the courts rule that lying is a crime takes us in a direction that we probably don't want to go.

We already have a category of laws that deal with lies that lead to material harm:  "Fraud".

Do we really want the government making the telling of an untruth into a criminal act?  I don't think we do.

The proper way to deal with folks who steal valor is through public censure and debunking; to have laws that limit what those people can say implicitly creates a situation where we are all "under oath" at all times, in a de facto way.  Once the bureaucrats figure out they have that power, any mistake or misstatement we make, about anything at all, will become a potential pretext for criminal investigation.

We don't want to go there.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
As abhorrent as it is that some people lie to gain honor and respect they have not earned, having the courts rule that lying is a crime takes us in a direction that we probably don't want to go.

Agree.  But all the more reason for a regenerative culture of honor and valor in America.

Lying isn't new, but in-your-face, abusive lying by those in power appears to have become a deeply ingrained, even institutionalized element of our culture now.  I'm tempted to say it began with Chappaquiddick, but that too was only a symptom of deeper betrayals.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 03:09:20 PM »
one doesn't legislate culture    or at least not here
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 04:45:41 PM »

We already have a category of laws that deal with lies that lead to material harm:  "Fraud".

Do we really want the government making the telling of an untruth into a criminal act?  I don't think we do.

The proper way to deal with folks who steal valor is through public censure and debunking; to have laws that limit what those people can say implicitly creates a situation where we are all "under oath" at all times, in a de facto way.  Once the bureaucrats figure out they have that power, any mistake or misstatement we make, about anything at all, will become a potential pretext for criminal investigation.

We don't want to go there.

I'm with you on this one. As disgusting as people like that are, people have been making up things about themselves for thousands of years. If the government has the power to jail people for lying about their service history, how long before they try to use the power for people embellishing resume's, etc? Remember, your Social Security Number will never be used for identification purposes.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 06:09:19 PM »
No, we can't legislate our way out of this problem, but then I don't really believe we can legislate our way out of any of big issues right now.  It comes back to education and morality, the former which has been largely co-opted and the latter which has been relegated to the "barbarous relic" category.

Although the trend's invidious, the criminalizing of more and more behavior is even more invidious.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 10:30:01 PM »
The court blew it.

It has long been held that the 1st amendment protects one's right to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater ... but if you do so and there isn't a fire, you face certain repercussions for your misstatement.

Why is the same principle not applied here? Nobody says he can't claim medals he didn't win. The law does not cut out anyone's tongue and prevent then from making such claims. It simple provides for certain sanctions if one advances such claims falsely.

I sincerely hope the Government does appeal, because the 9th Circus (thank you, good turn of phrase) is seriously lacking in jurisprudence on this one.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 11:46:02 PM »
It's not illegal to be a donkey-hole.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 12:49:49 AM »
So if it is OK to lie when nor harm is doen why is Roger Clemens being charged with lying to congress about steroid use. What harm did it do?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 05:02:57 AM »
testifying under oath  lying to impede an investigation? covering for himself?  take your pick
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 06:33:07 AM »
It has long been held that the 1st amendment protects one's right to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater ... but if you do so and there isn't a fire, you face certain repercussions for your misstatement.

I'm not sure you want to be quoting that one.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 02:32:20 PM »
I'm not sure you want to be quoting that one.
why?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »
Why is the same principle not applied here? Nobody says he can't claim medals he didn't win. The law does not cut out anyone's tongue and prevent then from making such claims. It simple provides for certain sanctions if one advances such claims falsely.
:facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 06:39:20 PM »
why?

It's a ruling that:

1. Has since been thrown out.

2. Argues you have no right to argue against the military draft in wartime.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 11:36:59 PM »
why?

Not to mention that crying fire in a crowded theatre where there is no such fire is highly likely to cause material harm to others whereas being a lying jackhole with regards to military medals isn't. Yes it's reprehensible and wrong, but not so much with the harming.
Look, tiny text!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 02:32:11 AM »
Not to mention that crying fire in a crowded theatre where there is no such fire is highly likely to cause material harm to others whereas being a lying jackhole with regards to military medals isn't. Yes it's reprehensible and wrong, but not so much with the harming.

Would you say that someone wearing unearned medals to bolster his his image, and thus his chances of election to public office, causes no harm?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 02:39:00 AM »
Would you say that someone wearing unearned medals to bolster his his image, and thus his chances of election to public office, causes no harm?

Or a chance to get hired, or win a contract for his company, etc. all of which have occurred.

Perhaps someone can parse this for me: The court has said it is okay not illegal to lie about receiving military decorations or service (reducing the reputation, character and prestige of the uniformed services apparently isn't considered harm), but is it still fraud to act on such claims to garner any of the above?

ETA: Thanks Nitrogen for catching that.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 03:11:44 AM by kgbsquirrel »

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 03:00:11 AM »
Or a chance to get hired, or win a contract for his company, etc. all of which have occurred.

Perhaps someone can parse this for me: The court has said it is okay to lie about receiving military decorations or service (reducing the reputation, character and prestige of the uniformed services apparently isn't considered harm), but is it still fraud to act on such claims to garner any of the above?

The court didn't say it was ok; the court doesn't rule on moral issues.
It just ruled it was not a crime.

Libel, Slander and other defamation are also not crimes in most states.  (less than 20 states, last I knew, had criminal defamation statutes)  In most states, Defamation is a tort.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 04:03:14 PM »

They do cause harm BUT this is also fraud which is already illegal. We don't need to make it double plus illegal.
Look, tiny text!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »
They do cause harm BUT this is also fraud which is already illegal. We don't need to make it double plus illegal.
Just make it double secret probation. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge